Lineup Signup
Hi! We're just rearranging some Desktop boards to make it easier to find what you're looking for. Please bear with us, and we'll be done very soon.
To post a new question or issue, please go here: Desktop (Windows), Desktop (Mac), Desktop (Linux), Web Player.

[PS4] poor audio quality

[PS4] poor audio quality

PJ_humbug
I'm trialling Spotify premium but I'm finding the audio quality on the ps4 app has a very tinny muffled sound. I have a fibre connection and other apps like YouTube \iPlayer\Amazon which also have video have significantly better audio. I'm not expecting CD quality but it is now where neat what I think is worth paying for.

Is this something that will be improved?
92 Replies

Re: [PS4] poor audio quality

T4n2004
Noticed this as well. Sounds horrible. Swapped over to my gramofone and it sounded fine. Something weird is going on with the stream.

Ken-W
Casual Listener

I did some testing on this.  It seems to have something to do with your audio output settings on the PS4.

Dolby = Good bass, meh sound quality, rather muffled.

DTS = Great bass, compressed sound, quiet.

Linear PCM = Amazing sound, crisp, loud - and no bass at all.  My sub sits there idle.  So this sounds kind of thin and lightweight but much better mids and highs.

Piricho
Casual Listener

Audio quality is like OP says, poor. Iv'e tried with a Plantronics Gamecom 777 headset trough the gamepad and also using my amp with fairly good speakers. The tinny sound consists. 

I thought it at first was my Spotify Free and upgraded to Premium but i will go back to Free after this month is up since it made no difference. Looking forward to at least an acknowledgement from Spotify so that i can stop thinking i'm the picky/sensetive dude that hears things. 

melican
Regular

Just tried the Spotify app on my PS4.  Sounds bad (and the output level seems low).  I have a premium Spotify account.

616jsb75
Regular
It sounds like complete garbage. Music unlimited , with all it's short comings at least had decent audio quality. I preferred m.u. to spotify through air play to my receiver. Now I much prefer airplay from the ipad to the receiver using spotify. Spotify on the ps4 is horrible. Tinny, harsh and overall a general let down. Seems to be a recurring theme with the ps4

JaCe88
Casual Listener
Just upgraded to Spotify Premium as I realised I could listen to music in background when gaming but the music quality is a shocker - sounds horrible as I have this connected via HDMI to my receiver/amplifier and surround sound setup. I have a 300Mbit connection (up/down) in Singapore so it's definitely not that and the bandwidth detection should pick up my fibre connection.

JaCe88
Casual Listener
Also would add I have my PS4 on linear PCM audio output.

Michaelcawcutt
I'm glad I'm not the only one! I've done some testing on my high-end system. Spotify Bluetooth to my Onkyo, Spotify app on the Onkyo receiver and line out (1/8") to Onkyo all sound amazing regardless of listening mode.

Spotify premium on my ps4 is dreadful. No low's high's are capped and the entire experience sounds like a speaker playing into a blanket.

It's a bummer as I've been a premium member since its release in the States. Please update us!

MMakerMx
Casual Listener

at least some ppl can hear* the difference between good and regular/poor quality music... i listening my loved electro songs a lot of time on youtube, but when i hear them on spotify through ps4 i clearly can detect the diference... of course, i am spotify premium maximum* quality is on, im thinking not to renovate next month

SUGGESTED POSTS