Premium

Country

USA

Device

Acer Chromebook 14

Operating System

Chrome OS

My Question or Issue

Reposting this since https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Chromebook-Song-stops-randomly/m-p/4780289 was wrongfully marked as solved.

When playing Spotify tracks in the web player (only option for Chrome OS, yes happens in the PWA as well), every track will stop for 3-5 seconds 9 seconds into the track.

This does not happen on my Android device on the same network, even when I clear the local storage to make sure it's streaming from the network. It only happens when I use the web player on Chrome OS. I could try as well with my Macbook web player tomorrow if that's desired.

To be clear, I do not exaggerate when I say every single track will pause at 9 seconds. This is reproducible at a 100% rate on my machine.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I fixed it. Here is what I did:

I went to chrome://flags and enabled two options.

Smooth Scrolling

New Tab Loading Animation

I restarted my chromebook after this to apply the features, and it somehow fixed it.

Hopes this helps

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hey folks,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner on this!

This seems to be the same issue as the one described by users in this thread.

Since this appears to be related to users' individual network settings, we suggest that you reach out to your network admin.

We've provided an official response in the above-mentioned thread which you can check out.

Thanks again for your patience! Take care 🙂

View solution in original post

31 Replies

Hey @captaintaihu,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this!

Just to be sure this is not an issue with the network, specifically with the web player (versus the Android app), do you mind trying to re-connect on the same device using the web player, only this time with a different network? 

It would also be useful to know if this is happening on the same account, but on a different device, so if you could let us know how it goes on your Macbook, that would be great.

Thanks! Keep us posted 🙂

It's not the internet. Multiple times I would listen to my music at home and at school, and both times it would stop at 9 seconds. 

Device

Chromebook

I did note in the original post that this does not occur on my Android device using the same account. I tried it on my Macbook with no issues on the same network as well.

I just tried tethering my Chromebook to my phone connection (not the fastest, I know, but all I had to test). Still the same issue. It is not my home network that is the source of issues.

Hi.  I've been getting this on and off for the last few weeks.  Currently 'on' at the moment : (  Spotify webplayer on Chromebook running 78.0.3904.50

On a different network this weekend.  Issue still persists.

I am having the same problem. I play Spotify at home and at school. Everywhere I play Spotify it stops at 9 sec. I can't believe they have not fixed this. It has been going on for a long time. It is defiantly not the network. Please fix this.

Device: HP Chromebook 11 G4

Operating system: Chrome OS version 76.0.3809.136 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Hey all,

We've received reports that for some people music still stops after 9 seconds. If you are experiencing this issue, please leave a vote with the following:

• Device
  • OS version
  • Browser and version

Here's some troubleshooting you can try in the meanwhile:

• Clear cache and cookies
  • Reboot device
  • Try a different network

Don't forget to hit +vote if you are experiencing this issue.

I managed to fix it. I have no idea how I did it, but I fixed it. Here is what I know though.

1. Smooth Scrolling

2. New Tab Loading Animation.

This is all I did, but it fixed it. Comment if it helped you guys.

I didn't change those flags, but it seems the issues is....moved to the start of the song. I've been letting it go for a while so make sure it can buffer ahead of time. It also shows the end time of the previous song as the current progress, but the correct total time during this pause. Not sure if it was a Chrome update or Spotify update.

Marked as solution

I fixed it. Here is what I did:

Smooth Scrolling

New Tab Loading Animation

I restarted my chromebook after this to apply the features, and it somehow fixed it.

Hopes this helps

I wish I could do this. My administrator has chosen to block //flags! I want a real fix from Spotify though. I'm sick of this

Yes me too.  Needs a fix : (

Dell Chromebook running Version 78.0.3904.81 (Official Build) beta (64-bit) using chrome.  Same symptomes

Enabled smooth scrolling.  Don't have the new tab loading animation option.  Makes no difference.

Dell Chromebook 13 running Version 78.0.3904.92 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)

Only happens on spotify webplayer.  Works OK on Android app.

I thought that changing those flags mentioned by Milez would do nothing, but I tried it out of desperation and it actually worked.  Fair play, thank for the fix.

yh the flags worked!

I have the Acer Chromebook 14 and enabled Smooth Scrolling and New TabStrip Animations.

It worked like a charm after it was reset. I assume Google changed something with the recent updates this year, causing a royal mess to all Chrome OS user.

Hopefully people will see this thread and will not have to suffer in silence anymore.

I've tried all the "Solutions" and nothing has changed.

My Chromebook is the Samsung Chromebook 3 and my Chrome version is 78.

Please help.

@DopeGlitch Have you tried my solution? It is also not neccesary to choose the new tab loading animation or the smooth scrolling option. It can be any of them, though it has to be two. 

Hopes this helps.:)

@ChuckBIt does not have to specifically be any of them. Any of the two options you choose on chrome:flags will work. Sorry for not saying it earlier.

Suggested posts