Solved!

Alexa Spotify Skill - can't connect due to geographical restrictions

Plan

Premium Duo

Country

Romania

Device

Android

Hi, I'm trying to add the spotify skill to the Alexa App.

Both, the Amazon account and Spotify are on Romania and I'm paying premium accounts for both. (I saw a solution on the forums to change the location to other country but this is not actually a solution for me, since as already mentioned I'm paying premium subscriptions related to my country and the content should be localized to this).

I am attaching also a screenshot with the exact message:

"You are not eligible to enable this skill due to geographical restrictions".

Thanks

AlexaSpotify.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi,

I'm posting this maybe it will help others in the same situation.

After contacting directly the Amazon support, the solution was to add a friend's address from US to my amazon account. (I have not changed the country location -it was still on Romania - and the added address was not the primary/default one).

After this I was able to enable the Spotify skill to Alexa.

All the best,

Adrian

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Hey @adrian65,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community.

Keep in mind that the services and features that Amazon and the Alexa app offer vary from country to country. You can check them out here or if you contact Amazon here.

If availability in your region is confirmed, we recommend that you run a clean reinstall for both the Spotify and Alexa apps and try linking the services anew. This page can help for Spotify.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi, Mihail,

Thank you for your answer.

In the provided links there's no actual information about the Spotify skill for Alexa.

Before contacting directly Amazon I would like to understand from where do these geographical restrictions come from and who is the actual development team behind the Spotify skill. (Just want to mention that all other skills I have added work without a problem).

If the restrictions come from Spotify itself I would like to know whether these can be removed, if they come from Amazon I will continue the discussion there.

Thanks,

Adrian

Hi @adrian65

Thanks for getting back to us. 

We currently don't have any specific information to share regarding this.

Since you encounter this issue setting the skill in the Alexa app, the folks at Amazon support should be able to verify it's availability in your region. 

If anything else comes up, you know where to find us. 

Have a nice day.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi,

I'm heading towards Amazon, but seems more like a ping pong.

Regards,

Adrian

"Most skills are developed by third-party developers, as such, Amazon customer service is unable to resolve many issues with these skills. "

adrian65_0-1613157017903.png

Marked as solution

Hi,

I'm posting this maybe it will help others in the same situation.

After contacting directly the Amazon support, the solution was to add a friend's address from US to my amazon account. (I have not changed the country location -it was still on Romania - and the added address was not the primary/default one).

After this I was able to enable the Spotify skill to Alexa.

All the best,

Adrian

i have tried this from malta, using a uk, german and us address all failed, support is a ping pong game between amazon and spotify both companies not caring to get this resolved and blaming each other, then why allow the partnership to be advertised?

Same issue here in UAE.  

My Spotify account and Amazon are both UAE.  I did try changing my primary address to USA as some suggested, but that didnt work.  

Anyone managed to solve this in the UAE?

Suggested posts