Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Error code 4 when connected to wifi

Solved!

Error code 4 when connected to wifi

I recently moved into a new apartment and got  a different wifi router. My roommates and I cannot connect spotify on any of our devices even though the wifi is working perfectly fine in every other regard. The applications says it is offline when connected to wifi, the phone also says offline but works fine when switching to data, and the webplayer does not work. Spotify is working fine and normal when connected to any other wifi. Ive tried some proxy workarounds and none of them have worked.It is looking like I will just have to cancel my premium as there seems to be no working solution out there. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

If anyone stumbles onto this thread with the same issue in the future and you happen to have recently transferred to a new crappy college internet, then call your service provider. Turns out mine was blocked by the isp rather than the router. 

View solution in original post

18 Replies

Hello. It seems that your firewall router is preventing you from connecting. I'd suggest to check your firewall router settings if you know how to do it, otherwise call your internet provider and ask them to do it for you.

I looked in the router manual and there isn't much mentioned about the firewall, but I did see something about NAT settings which I changed from secure to open, however that had no effect and it still said I was offline. I think this may be a proxy problem but I have already tried all of those workarounds and nothing has worked for me. 

The same happens with spotify's web player?

Yeah, https://play.spotify.com/?http=1 does not work for me and neither did changing the proxy settings and editing the prefs file. 

Ok. Make sure you are not behind a firewall which it can be on your router, operative system or even an antivirus. You know I'm behins a router with the firewall disable and I didn't have to NAT any port. It should be easier.

Since spotify works on any other internet it couln't be a firewall on anything but the router. I did control f on the router manual pdf and there were very few mentions of firewall, and there is no way that is described in the manual to toggle it on or off.

I did find a mention of the default factory settings which said

Inbound (communications coming in from the Internet) Disabled (except traffic on port 80, the HTTP port)

Outbound (communications going out to the Internet) Enabled (all)

Source MAC filtering Disabled

So the firewall is only enabled by default on outbound communications and we have already tried reseting the router which had no effect. 

Hello @YargMonster,

Can you open up Spotify and execute the following command in CMD :

netstat -a -n | find "4070"

What I am looking for is in the 3rd and 4th column. It should look like this :

TCP   Local.Address.Is.Here 193.182.7.83:4070      ESTABLISHED

P.S. You need to enable outbound and inbound traffic on ports 443, 80 and 4070.

when i typed in 

netstat -a -n | find "4070"

It didn't do anything, so i just ran  

netstat -a -n 

and I did not find 4070 on any of the ports.

How would I go about enabling inbound and outbound traffic on those ports? I tried messing around with QoS and port forwarding on the router but nothing worked.

Hello @YargMonster,

Can you please let me know what model is your router?

Yeah, it's a netgear r7000 nighthawk

Hello @YargMonster,

Login to your router and Select ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Port Forwarding/Port Triggering.

Click "Add custom service"

• Service name : Spotify
  • Service type : TCP/UDP
  • External Starting Port : 4070
  • External EndingPort : 4070
  • Check Use the same port range for Internal port
  • Check the device on the list ( 192.168.X.X )
  • Click Apply

Select Spotify in Service Name

Add the following IP Addresses

Select Spotify in Service Name

Select HTTP in Service Name

Select HTTP in Service Name

If you run into problems, let me know : )

Thank you for all this help, I added spotify as a custom service but after adding that Spotify is not showing up in the drop down menu under service name and when I try to enter the IP addresses it "Invalid IP address, please enter again."

Heres a screencap 

router.png

Hello @YargMonster,

Hm odd, I am not that familiar with netgear router ( I prefer CISCO routers lol ).

Can you try running Spotify now? Adding Spotify as service should allow connection on that port. 🙂

Still not working....
I'm starting to think it may be blocked by my internet service provider.

@YargMonster just few more things before giving up.

Can you confirm how many devices are there on device list ? If you have more then one device, there is chance you are allowing the wrong device. 🙂

P.S. You can just click "Add custom service" and screenshot the output.

Yeah I added it to the internal IP on my laptop which is what I'm using right now, the other devices are my roommates and none of us can connect to spotify. 

port forward.PNG

Hey @YargMonster,

Everything looks good.

If you wish, you can pass me your IP via PM and I will try to connect to you via telnet on port 4070 to check if the port is working, if there is no success then indeed your provider is blocking the port. 🙂

Marked as solution

If anyone stumbles onto this thread with the same issue in the future and you happen to have recently transferred to a new crappy college internet, then call your service provider. Turns out mine was blocked by the isp rather than the router. 

Suggested posts