Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I stop links from automatically playing?

How do I stop links from automatically playing?

Plan

Premium

Country

• Canada

Device

Pixel 4A

Operating System

Android 12

My Question or Issue

It's really frustrating when I'm listening to music & a friend shares a link to an album/artist/song & when I click the link (just to take a look), Spotify stops what I'm listening to & starts playing that album/artist/song.

I have looked around & can't find anything to fix this. I'm honestly so annoyed that this is an actual "feature". Please help me turn this thing off, it's really ruining my experience.

This also happens sometimes on desktop.

22 Replies

Hey @victorolaitan,

Thanks for the post!

Opening a link to a song on mobile will result in the app opening and playing that song.

There is no way to switch this off manually from the Spotify app settings.

Hope you find this info helpful. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

That's just awful!

I think most of users don't like this intrusive behavior of the app. I just clicked a song on WhatsApp to look what my friend was sending me, it stopped my playlist and started playing the song from the link immediately. I was only gonna look the artist page. =/ Put an option to disable this!!!!

Losing my existing queue or spot in a long playlist is very frustrating.

Can you please change the link behavior to at least implement a prompt asking options like: "Play now", "Add to queue", "View only"?

This applies to the desktop client, as well.

Yes, super helpful... not.

Most annoying thing ever!!!

This is so frustrating, why would anybody want that to happen?

And to think this is a paid service! This behavior needs to be removed.

How is this considered "solved"? 

This is so annoying! 

Hey @Alex, 

Thanks for your reply!

Opening a link to a song on mobile resulting in the app opening and playing that song is awful behaviour. 

There is no way to switch this off manually from the Spotify app settings but there definitely should be. 

Hope you find this info helpful. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

me too!

The provided solution is not a solution. Really annoying that this is a feature with no option to disable it or alter its behavior. As others have pointed out, often I just want to view what a friend has shared and maybe queue it, not autoplay what they share.

The real solution so far has been to open the link in incognito (and also click cancel on the annoying popup to open link in Spotify), if I then want to listen I manually search the song in Spotify and queue it. Pretty terrible user experience in other words.

Hey, I didn't find if this was suggested as an idea to Spotify so I submitted it:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/Stop-links-from-automatically-playing/idi-p/564883...

Indeed it is so annoying, I had a playlist set up and opening a link just ruined it!

It ruins my entire queue

This behavior is just so annoying. I was listening to my favorite (very long) playlist, and was simply looking to observe the song, maybe queue it. How's the "solution" the fact that there's no actual solution to this?

Please just solve this issue, it can't be that hard for a multi billioner company. 

WHY IS THIS STILL A THING??? I can't make good use of the Now Playing feature on my phone because Spotify won't let me simply open the song to SAVE IT. I DON'T WANT TO LISTEN TO THE SAME SONG ASYMMETRICALLY OVERLAPPED FROM TWO DIFFERENT SOUND SOURCES!!

I feel you guys it's just pointless. And why don't they change it?????

Hi,

For android users:

I can recommend to turn off auto opening links in Spotify. This way you will have links opened in browser instead, which leads to not interrupt your current playing session. 

To do this, you must go into system apps settings on phone, and go into apps -> spotify -> standard app setting -> turn off: "open links automatic".

For iOS users i dont know much, try to see if you can turn off such setting as mentioned above.

Hope this helped some.

Suggested posts