Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to deactivate "join session" function?

How to deactivate "join session" function?

Hello,

When I want to listen to music in the living room, I use "Spotify Connect" and listen to the music via a connected stereo system.

Unfortunately, all the other family members then get a notification on their mobile phone asking if they want to join the session. This notification is absolutely useless and annoying for the family members, especially if they are also in the living room at the same time.

How can I prevent family members from permanently deactivating the "Join Session" message?

System: Android

Account Type: Spotify Premium Family

11 Replies

I would also like to know this. It keeps offering me to join the session already playing on my phone REALLY ANNOYING. Enough so that I am ready to bail out of Spotify.

Hey folks,

Thanks for posting in the Community and welcome.

When you're connected to a speaker, the app has the option to allow other users to use it and control it if they are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. However, you have the option to turn it off.

To do so, on the Now playing view, hit the name of the device currently playing on the bottom left part of the screen. Then, you'll see the option "Multiple people can join and control this speaker" below the speaker's name. Turn it off, and it will prevent other users from joining your session.

On another note, we can confirm it's currently not possible to disable those notifications; we understand where you're coming from and we appreciate the time you took to write this to us.

We'd like you to know another user had similar request, so they posted an idea about it in our Idea Boards:

We think this is a great idea too! That's why we'd suggest adding your vote in the thumbs up icon and subscribing to it in the three-dot menu. That way you can stay up-to-date with any relevant news about this.

We appreciate your feedback. We know you’d like to make this as an opportunity for Spotify to become an incredible app.

We'll be here if anything else comes up. Once again, thanks for the feedback.

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

It now does this when connected to Android Auto and doesn't let me control my device from Android Auto until I pick up the phone, open Spotify, and join the session.  This is enough to make me start looking elsewhere for music service

I removed the normal app and went to Spotify Lite app to get rid of pointless annoying notifications.

I'm also experiencing issues on this. When starting a remote session (which is now labelled by Spotify as Jam session), the option 'Multiple people can join and control this speaker' is automartically enabled. When I disable this option again the Jam/remote session is automatically ended.

So basically I have no option to start a remote session without other people on the same WiFi being able to join that session?

Who thought of this feature? I obviously don’t want random people on a hotel network getting a notification or changing my music. This stupid feature should obviously default to user privacy.

Hey, AlejaR, I think the toggle is broken for me. I try to toggle off "let other jam on this...", but the moment I lift my finger the toggle bounces back to on. I cannot toggle it off. This feature is broken, and Spotify devs should take it away until they can implement it as off on default.

I do not have the option that you described, nor do I have the option to disconnect people who are on my jam session once I figure out that they're there.  Seems like an invasion of my privacy with no option to turn this functionality off permanently.  All of this is happening because I live in a space that shares wifi across 40+ apartments.  Spotify needs to come up with the option to control this in our privacy settings.

WHY on earth would are we still not able to disable these notification?! Its been years since this thread was raised and having 100+ people on a network at work and getting these pop up multiple times a day has actually forced me to move to Apple Music… just ridiculous!

Devices on wifi networks my phone connects to are automatically signing into my Spotify, make it stop please!

Imagine watching ads on youtube and being forced to see ads unless you pay for premium. Now go get your premium membership with spotify and turn your bluetooth on near someone else who also has their bluetooth on. You're gonna get bombarded with popups to Join their jam and have to click 'No thanks!' And then it will keep doing it! 

What a joke. Feels worse then ads and i pay for premium. Only way to turn it off is to turn off bluetooth, and that defeats the purpose of using it to listen to music in my vehicle or on wireless ear buds. 

Judging by some of the comments here, it seems like you either don't know how, or don't have intentions of removing this terrible 'Jam' feature. 

Even while writing this comment, ive had multiple invasive prompts popping up, one of them asking for a review.

Here's your review. You've regressed as at what USED to be a great app. If this super invasive feature isn't deleted before my next billing cycle, ill be done wirh your app and unsub, and ive been a paying customer for quite a few years. I would have rated this at 5 star, and now because of how invasive it is, id give -1. 

Here's what happened when i tried leaving this review the first time. Good thing i saved my message

Screenshot_20240426_083734_Samsung Internet.jpg

Suggested posts