Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] major issue with the new/updated collaborative playlist feature.

[Playlists] major issue with the new/updated collaborative playlist feature.

more of a bug/feedback than a new idea

in the latest version of spotify, collaborative playlists can only have songs added via a invitation link (invite collaborators). 

this is fine with me (although i personally think users should be given an option on whether they want it to be either RESTRICTED/link only, or available to ANYONE ON SPOTIFY to add/remove songs).

however, now whenever i private a collaborative playlist then make it public again, all my collaborators are removed. the 'added by' section completely disappears/resets. it looks as though all the songs were added by only me. this is incredibly stupid and frustrating because my friends and i no longer know who added which song.

16 Replies

Hey @isabelxching,

Thanks for posting in the Community! We've moved your post to a relevant Help Board where it fits better.

This sounds indeed as an odd behavior, but we were not able to replicate the same situation on our end. No collaborators got removed when we tested converting the status of a playlist with collaborators to private and then back to public. Is this still the case for you? If yes please send us a short video recording of the situation, so we can better replicate it and give you more accurate advice.

The situation you're describing about missing info in "Added by" section is to be expected and it occurs when a collaborator himself has left (or was removed by owner) from a playlist on which both were collaborating on previously. Then as you mentioned the 'Added by' field clears out and just shows how long ago a tune was added, but not the username of the collaborator.     

For more info on Playlist privacy options and the features of Collaborative playlists, please visit the links included.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any further questions.

Kiril Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

The links don’t work when shared to WhatsApp.  There needs to be a space before https. See below part of the link. 

Let’s make a playlist together, join and edit: SubWooferhttps://open.spotify.com/playlist/3YSIt8KzE5qYD0PW…

Hey,

1. There's an idea going to bring back the regular collaborative playlist feature so users have options! Vote below if it's of interest - a lot of us aren't a fan of the new collaborative process...

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Desktop-Playlists-Have-both-quot-make-collaborative-quot... 

Hey there @MitchellKivits,

Thanks for the post.

I just tried this and sharing a Collab invite in WhatsApp works fine on my end on Android.

Can you let me know if you click the direct WhatsApp share icon or you're copying the link?

Keep me posted.

AlexModerator

@alex on iOS go to Spotify app click add collaborative then share via WhatsApp to my wife and click direct on WhatsApp share icon.  I see this: 

Let’s make a playlist together, join and edit: SubWooferhttps://open.spotify.com/playlist/3YSIt8KzE5qYD0PWA9QnfX?si=jTBLhnJpTHm9TqXAFSs5pA&pt=dd3975a6309e28eca4793ddbf89dfad2

you can see the missing space before https. Hopefully that’s what you mean. 

Hey @MitchellKivits,

Thanks for your reply here. 

We're going to report this situation to the right folks to look deeper into it. For this purpose, could you please share with us your exact Spotify version number, as well your iPhone model and the iOS version you have on. Also a screenshot of the generated link will be of great help.

Keep us posted, we'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Kiril Moderator

@Kiril iPhone XR, ios 15.5

2C8A5F09-5864-4905-8F9A-48E9C1DDB27F.png

A53C8223-7063-4023-BCD8-7B1DE240C82C.png

22D14EBC-1EE0-45FD-A73C-E5689F23575D.png

Hi @MitchellKivits,

Thanks for these screenshots!

Just wanted to say that this has been reported to our tech folks, who are looking into it. As soon as there are any updates, rest assured we'll keep you posted here.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hey folks,

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

As mentioned before, the relevant team is currently investigating this, but we're unable to provide a specific timeline to be fixed. We'd recommend keeping your app up to date so that you don't miss out on any developments. 

If you're still experiencing this issue in the coming weeks after updating the app, let us know the exact app version you're currently running to keep investigating.

We'll be on the lookout. 

OscarDCModerator

Hi, I cannot add a collaborator to my playlist. I send the collaborate link, and they can see the playlist but can't add anything. We are both on the very latest app version on ios (updated a few days ago). The playlist is public.. So frustrating..

Also I'm on a family account, in case that's relevant..

Hey @sonnyjim36,

Thanks for your reply.

In this case, we'd like you to try the following workaround to check if you notice any difference:

1. Open the playlist you want to share to collaborate.
  2. Send the link to your friend to invite them to collaborate.
  3. Instruct your friend to copy that link.
  4. Once they've copied the link, they have to paste it directly into the app's search bar on their mobile device and hit search.
  5. Then, they'll see the playlist and the option to start adding songs to it.

Keep in mind, your friend has to hit "search", so the app can search for the playlist. Let us know how it goes.

If that doesn't do the trick, would you mind sending us the exact Spotify version you have both running along with the make/model and OS of your devices?

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

Hi Aleja, that did not work. I am running version 8.7.90.459 on a iphone 13 ProMax running iOS 16.1.1

And the other person is running the version of Spotify downloaded a week ago, on iOS 15.6.1

Their phone is an iPhone 12 mini

Hey @sonnyjim36,

Thank you for your messages.

If the previous process doesn't work for you, that means that the other user was already following the playlist as a regular viewer and that's why they cannot add songs. In this case, we'd recommend you tell the other user to stop following the playlist. Once they have deleted the playlists from their library, you can send the invitation again and they will be able to add songs to your playlist.

If the issue persists after this process, would you mind including a short recording where we can see the other user not being able to add songs? You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. You can also upload it to Google Drive and share the link with us (make sure the video has the permissions for anyone to watch it).

Hope this helps. We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator

Suggested posts