Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Radio] Create New Station button missing

Solved!

[Radio] Create New Station button missing

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Platform

Windows 10

On the Radio screen, I used to be able to create a new station by clicking the Create New Station button, as described here in the documentation.  But that button has disappeared from the page, and there does not appear to be any other way to create a new station.

79 Replies

In the most recent update, Spotify changed the radio function. To make a radio of an artist or song, you must go to the artist and select Radio or with right click, on a song, start radio.

In the most recent update, Spotify changed the radio function. To make a radio of an artist or song, you must go to the artist and select Radio or with right click, on a song, start radio.

@jairoduque wrote:

When you go to artist or song and try to start radio from that, it goes to a playlist and not a station. Playlist plays songs in order and is not endless...

I can game and listen to Pandora for 7+ hours without issues or stopping the music...

In the mobile and desktop applications, there is no more radio. It was replaced by "playlists"

You cannot thumb up or down a song to have it customize to your interests.

What you are seeing are dynamic playlists that replace the radio function. It is a playlist that is updated every day and the great advantage is that you can download the songs.

@jairoduque wrote:

What you are seeing are dynamic playlists that replace the radio function. It is a playlist that is updated every day and the great advantage is that you can download the songs.

I would rather have the stations back. Playlists are not endless.

They are not endless, but they are updated every day.

It's not really viable for many. I can't save a custom radio station to favorites anymore because you can't follow them. You can follow the playlist radios and download them but you can't really customize them. The thing people liked is that the station would be tailored to your preferences like with pandora. Now it's a pain to find your tailored stations because you can't favorite them.

Let's say half the songs on the playlist radio we're songs you didn't like. Half of the playlist is now no good and you have to wait a day or setup a different playlist to get more songs. 

@jairoduque wrote:

I know that you can still create a radio station from an artist or a song, but that's seldom what I actually want to do.  Far more often what I want is to create a station from a playlist, with all the genre/artist variety you get by doing that; that's why it's frustrating that this feature is gone.  Although, it seems to only be mostly gone -- it seems to randomly appear and disappear, at least for me.  This morning I see the Playlist Radio option in both the Windows desktop app and the Android app, but that definitely isn't always the case.

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

Pixel 3 XL

Operating System

Android 9 Pi

My Question or Issue

When I go to create a radio station it only says "go to radio". When i do that it doesn't offer the thumbs up or down on the songs. Please help. 

I am pretty disgusted by this change too.

If the playlist had the ability to thumbs up and down songs so the "playlist" could learn and change over time, it might be different, but the key likability of the "radio" tab  was it would play forever and I could periodoically up or down a song to customize.

This has basically taken all customizaion away from us and give Spotify the control to decide songs based on their assumptions of the initial song.

They really need to bring this back, Pandora still offers this and they are free

That's exactly my point, I don't care that the playlist is updated daily when each day a good 1/3 of the playlist are songs I don't care about. Sure I can skip them, but that won't help me the next day when some of those songs pop up again (and they do) or other songs I don't care for. 

It's annoying to spend more of my time shuffling through these "radio" playlists than actually listening to the music.

New to Spotify but without the ability to have custom stations I don't really see the point in this service. And for that reason, I'm out.

Not even because if you save it it gets saved under playlists.

Me too.  Across all platfroms ... on chrome, on my imac, on my ipad and on my iphone.  Absolutely no radio stations despite following and trying to create many.

Very Frustrating

This is still a huge problem. I don't want to keep using Spotify without a radio function...

My account is broken. Spotify offers no actual help. There is no one to contact.  This sucks.  

Marked as solution

Hey folks,

We just wanted to let you know that this is expected behaviour since we rolled out our new Radio feature to all platforms.

To find out how the new Radio works, just head over to this thread.

Thanks!

I don't understand why you needed to mess with it in the first place? The radio had an unlimited amount of songs which was great for discovering new artists. Now it's limited to around 50 give or take. Shame really 😞 

What a crummy solution.

This is no longer a station that you can customize its just random junk that Spotify decides you want.

I had one that went from a heavy alternative rock song to a strange country song that the only thing in commen I could tell was the wording of the song title.

And because you took away thumbs up/down I had no way to tell the playlist the song was junk in relation to what I wnted.

Suggested posts