Samsung Galaxy Watch - Remote Mode

Solved!

Samsung Galaxy Watch - Remote Mode

SamAlphabet

Plan

Premium

Country

Australia (Currently Internationally Roaming)

Device

Samsung Galaxy S9+/Samsung Galaxy Watch

Operating System

Android 8.0.0/Tizen 4.0.0.1

My Question or Issue

Hello Spotify,

I have recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy Watch and have installed Spotify as an application on the device. I currently overseas for work and do not have a Wifi connection, thus am trying to use the Watch in Remote Mode for my Phone rather than Wifi Streaming. However when I go to switch the Mode it is stating that it cannot connect the Watch to Spotify's App on the Phone even though the Bluetooth Connection is strong and working correctly. Any idea what to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution!

Nameexchange
Regular

Solution is already described and works, see here https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Gear-S3-remote-issues/td-p/4616868. My comment with "how to" got deleted and god knows why but google how to rollback to an older version and you'll be ok. Atm you won't get any help from the Spotify guys.

The only problem left for me is if I have WiFi active on my phone I can't remote connect. As soon as I turn it off it connects automaticly.

View solution in original post

71 Replies

Marcus2650

Thought id comment if it could help anyone, but after having the same error ( "can not connect to Spotify on your phone. please open the app there to continue". ) whilst switching from standalone to remote and not finding any solutions i found one my self. I noticed while my Watch tried connecting, the gps symbol on my phone appeared for like a milisecond. And i enabled locations (gps and wifi) on my watch and it worked instantly

Csaba8472
Casual Listener

With the latest update both on watch and phone it works! 

bradavon
Roadie

It's fixed for me too. I suspect they've fixed the Android app, which was updated on 6th of March.

The Samsung Tizen app now lets you sign on using your mobile, so some works was done there too.

It only took 4-5 months 😕

I'd been chasing Spotify and kept getting fobbed off with every email, it'll be fixed soon. That's all they kept saying. I'd given up and wasn't going to chase again.

jasonx1988
Regular

Nope it was clearly the Watch Spotify Update who fix the Problem!

I'm happy but 5 month for such a problem is really too long.

bradavon
Roadie

Well it broke when Spotify updated their app.

Their support told me they're working with Samsung so possibly a combination of both sides.

peter1234567980
This is just soo annoying for far too long. The spotify pages state it would be working, apparently it is not. Further, it seems their most recent app versions are simply faulty or changed as it works with older spotify versions... Get this issue fixed asap!

kenobinai
Casual Listener

Watch app or Android App?

Csaba8472
Casual Listener

I've updated both of them.

Solution!

Nameexchange
Regular

Solution is already described and works, see here https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Gear-S3-remote-issues/td-p/4616868. My comment with "how to" got deleted and god knows why but google how to rollback to an older version and you'll be ok. Atm you won't get any help from the Spotify guys.

The only problem left for me is if I have WiFi active on my phone I can't remote connect. As soon as I turn it off it connects automaticly.

View solution in original post

IamMune

This is not a solution, more like a workaround, which tech company suggest to use older version of their software to overcome an issues it's users are facing 😅

Luckily I received an update to Spotify watch app yesterday (17th April 2019) seems it fix the bug in remote mode. I'm using Spotify for Android (v8.5.1.734) now, with remote mode enabled.

jctlalpan
Casual Listener

Hello everyone, 

I just started a chat with spotify support, the issue is clearly in the spotify phone app. 

There is no way to downgrade, unless you download from a suspicious third party, there are no official links from spotify to download a previous version! So we have to wait for now

They have opened an ticket to see what is causing the issue, I'll let everyone know once if I hear anything from my side. 

Don't waste your time on restarting or starting the app. The samsung side works, for now its a software bug. 

Hold on to your samsung watches and your spotify subscription, don't sell them on ebay yet! 

DRuss324

Very annoying.  I can no longer recommend Spotify to friends until they fix this issue.

bradavon
Roadie

@jctlalpan wrote:

Hello everyone, 

I just started a chat with spotify support, the issue is clearly in the spotify phone app. 

There is no way to downgrade, unless you download from a suspicious third party, there are no official links from spotify to download a previous version! So we have to wait for now

They have opened an ticket to see what is causing the issue, I'll let everyone know once if I hear anything from my side. 

Don't waste your time on restarting or starting the app. The samsung side works, for now its a software bug. 

Hold on to your samsung watches and your spotify subscription, don't sell them on ebay yet! 

Have you heard back at all from Spotify Support?

bradavon
Roadie

Has anyone raised this with Samsung support?

It's also possible the latest Samsung Galaxy Watch update broke the Spotify Tizen app or Spotify Android app's ability to connect to Spotify for Tizen.

I have Spotify 1.2.1 on my Galaxy Watch.

Just because an older Android app fixes the issue it doesn't mean for sure the issue lies with Spotify. Although it's likely.

I believe they maintain both the Spotify for Android and Spotify for Tizen apps.

Dvansan
Casual Listener

Hope this does not take too long to fix, I use my gear s3 to control my music at the gym every day. This being available on my watch is the only thing keeping me with spotify. If I cant have the convenience of the watch remote with spotify, I might as well switch back to google. 

I'll give it at least until next week before I cancel, to see if spotify is at least aware and working on a fix 

OryZ
Gig Goer

Hi. I have a Kenwood headunit on my car. There are no bluetooth connection issues up to v.8.4.77.779.

Issues starts from v.8.4.78.530.

I think it's the same issue, serial bluetooth connection issue.

user-removed
Not applicable

I am still having the same issue... Any updates on an official fix with the phone app?? ?

Dvansan
Casual Listener
I've tried the newest update and it's still not working for me. So far the
only way I've had it working is to install version 8.4.79.612

I really dont like downloading apps from third party sites, but have had to
for this.
I really dont want to have to keep pulling my phone out at the gym every
night for my music. I could, but it's so much faster and easier(my phone
stays much cleaner) with my watch as a remote, so I can leave it zipped in
my pocket.

jctlalpan
Casual Listener

Dvasan

FYI if you're offline on your watch you can also download playlists to your watch. That's very convenient for your cardio days. 

user-removed
Not applicable

Any news if this has been fixed yet? 

SUGGESTED POSTS