Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Alexa Skill

Solved!

Spotify Alexa Skill

Hello, I am a premium user, till yesterday the Spotify skill on Alexa was working fine, from today though, Alexa informed me that Spotify skill wasn't enabled, I tried to enable it again and now it says "You are not eligible to enable this skill due to geographical restrictions"

Was there any change on the Alexa Spotify Skill for geographical restrictions?

My country is Ireland.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Ok, I got it working.

I logged into my Amazon.co.uk account.

Went to Account & Lists

Manage your Content and Devices

Click on the Preferences tab

And i changed the Country Region Settings from Ireland to the UK

Then we go to alexa.amazon.co.uk

If your already logged into alexa.amazon.co.uk then logout and re-login.

From here the Spotify skill was now available in my location so i was able to Enable it.

All seems to work ok now. Hope this can help someone else.

View solution in original post

23 Replies

I have the same issue. Both my Spotify account and Amazon account are set in Ireland (IE). To me it looks like Spotify disabled the skill in some countries (bu mistake perhaps).

It seems they fixed it, I can see it again now

I am in Argentina and is happening the same with my Premiun Spotify account. 😞

Plan

Premium

Country

Ireland

Device

(Amazon Echo & Show)

Operating System

My Question or Issue

Spotify for my Echo Dot and Echo Show has stopped working. They were both working last night, and today they wont. It says the skill is no longer available due to geographical restrictions, I'm in IRELAND. We got the Echo's at Christmas and the service was working fine till today. I checked my Bose Soundtouch and Spotify is working fine on that device. Any ideas? I had an upset child tonight who listens to a playlist going to sleep. 

Anyone else having the issue still? Happening to me since this morning. As someone who listens to it through Alexa about 10 hours a day not ideal! Any ideas? I am from Ireland also, tried resetting alexa account, hardware and spotify account, driving me crazy at the moment! 😞 

it was fixed on its own in my case, not sure.

Yup hopefully will be the same here, just annoying when you get so used to it 🙂 

It is, actually the most annoying is that spotify doesn't provide any kind of support, just community forums, they should provide something for paying customers.

Tears here this morning over the same thing. I'm so cross that spotify haven't flagged this as an issue. We all have enough to be going on with at the moment. 

I found a work around. You need to log into the alexa desktop app with your amazon account  https://alexa.amazon.co.uk  

or .com whichever you have an account with. 

If you disable and reenable the spotify connect skill there it seems to work again. Otherwise if you say 

'Alexa connect to my spotify' you can connect directly from your device ( a little green icon down the bottom right hand side) and play your playlist that way. 

HTH and best of luck with it. 

Marked as solution

Ok, I got it working.

I logged into my Amazon.co.uk account.

Went to Account & Lists

Manage your Content and Devices

Click on the Preferences tab

And i changed the Country Region Settings from Ireland to the UK

Then we go to alexa.amazon.co.uk

If your already logged into alexa.amazon.co.uk then logout and re-login.

From here the Spotify skill was now available in my location so i was able to Enable it.

All seems to work ok now. Hope this can help someone else.

I'm seeing this issue since this morning also, worked fine up to last night. Have to wait and I see I guess...

I had the same issue. I had to change my Amazon Devices settings to UK, log out and log back in via the we to Alexa.Amazon.co.uk, then look for the Spotify skill and re enable it.

1. Go to the PREFERENCES tab on Amazon.co.uk "Manage Your Content and Devices" page [link].
  2. Change the Country to United Kingdom.
  3. Open a private/incognito browser window and go to alexa.amazon.co.uk
  4. Search toe Spotify skill and re-enable it.

NOTE: If you have an Amazon household account, changing the Country for Content and Devices will remove the other adult from the household.

What I did for now is to change my country back to Ireland, then re-created the Amazon Household. The problem is that we have Amazon Pr1me and changing it our country to UK makes things a little... complicated to Watch Amazon Pr1me Videos and other stuff. So far, Spotify is still working. Let's see for how long, though 😞

Honestly, what is wrong with Spotify? I honestly hope this is some sort of weird bug, but Spotify's lethargy and complete lack of customer support on the matter wouldn't look good.

Now, if this is some sort of new policy to actually disable the Alexa Spotify Skill in Ireland, then Spotify is simply VILE.  How low can one be to pull this in such an underhanded way, particularly during the trying times of this COVID-19 lockdown? If that is the case, then it is a stab at the back of the Irish customers.

Here is an interesting anecdote: As I was about to publish this post, I got a message that it contained the words "Amazon P...me", which is not permitted in this community. That alone, is petty enough. I am seriously considering to cancel my account. 

Same here, tried Spotify help on Twitter - sent to Amazon.. tried Amazon and sent to Spotify.  Great support 🤣🤣

Yep, this works, tried everything... resetting alexa, uninstalling both apps, messaging spotify support, resetting spotify account to free then increasing to premium... nothing (even reset the router lol...)

This worked in the end. Bye bye 3 hours of my life... but at least it works now. Thanks buddy!

Have the same problem today 15th may - please sort Spotify it’s the only reason I have a premium account so will be cancelling if Alexa skill is no longer available 

Spent another fun two hours fixing this as it would only link the echo to my spotify account not my family members spotify. Changed the location settings on the echo device itself within the desktop alexa app alexa.amazon.co.uk to the UK which allowed the spotify app to work again as it had before. You'll need to add a uk post code but not an address.

Changing the location settings in my amazon account appears to have disrupted my amazon family settings and all the shared kindle books but it seems ok if its just on the Alexa alone. I'll fix that tomorrow..

Tech support were worse than useless.. 

Good luck with it. 

I didnt have those problems, not that I have noticed anyway. On my 1st attempt i had also changed the country settings on alexa.amazon.co.uk to the uk and it worked. Then I worked backwards and changed my address to Ireland again in alexa.amazon.co.uk (my address is still set as UK on my preferences on amazon.co.uk).

I have the same issue now Saturday 16th May.

Also in Ireland... 😞

Same here.

It will shuffle songs by an artist, but if you ask for a specific song it will say Spotify skill not available. Sounds like an alexa issue rather than Spotify, but it should be up to Spotify to investigate. 

Suggested posts