Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify on Onkyo support discontinued

Solved!

Spotify on Onkyo support discontinued

Hi Everybody, 

Not really sure if this is the right sub catagory for this post. Today I received the following message from Spotify Netherlands: 

Hey,

We want to let you know that Spotify is no longer supported for your Onkyo speaker.

We want to make Spotify play on your speaker and other devices as easy and as possible. Unfortunately, this means that sometimes we need to stop the integration for certain devices.

If you want to continue playing music on your Onkyo speaker, we recommend you a wireless music streamer. This allows you to play music on your speakers via Spotify on your phone, tablet or laptop.

Click below for a list of music streams with Spotify support, to keep enjoying music on your speakers.

Do not stop the music!

Sincerely,
Spotify

I have a Onkyo TX-NR809 which I am using in combination with spotify. Which works great, you just search the songs and it plays via the Onkyo App. Spotify app does not recognize the device via WIFI (don't know why they don't just support DNLA) so the only option to stream spotify is via the Onkyo. Now they the e-mails states they are discontinuing service. I bought this receiver to play spotify at home. 

1. Can they just stop this service?
  2. Is there a workaround? (And I do not mean buy additional devices)

Anyhow, I am not happy with this and was wondering if there are any other unhappy customers out there?

Greetings Melvin.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi Melvin,

Yes, there is a work around. 

I had the same issue but was able to restore it (the work around).  

Too many replies here to read through to find out if your issue was resolved. 

On your Onkyo click on Spotify (nothing happens). 

On your phone or tablet install the Onkyo remote app. 

Open it, navigate to the Spotify app, and open it. 

Sign in, locate desired music, and play.

Make sure Spotify is still open on your receiver. 

Locate the line that reads "devices available for connection"  (or something to that effect). 

When your Onkyo device appears on the list, click on it, give it a few seconds,  and it will (should)  start playing on your receiver. 

Good luck, 

Jim 🙂 

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

It is not removed from all devices from Onkyo. If you buy a new device it
works. But for how long?!?! I will never recommend onkyo and will put
them down every chance I get. For this stupid move they will be getting a
ton of bad advertising from me.

View solution in original post

69 Replies

Hello Melvin,

I am the proud owner of an ONKYO TX-NR 717 receiver and I also got the same email from Spotify. I have a Premium subscription to Spotify.

It pisses me off big time that Spotify made this lousy decision. However, my 16 year old son ownes a TX-NR 525 and he plays Spotify through his android cell phone. He sets the reciever on NET (the receiver is connected to internet by a cable), chooses Spotify an then operates it using his cell phone. Great HIFI sound through cabled internet. He also uses Music Optimizer mode on his TX-NR 525. It sounds great!

Kind regards, from a Denon Heos HATER.

Hi Melvin,
I'm another one who is annoyed and unhappy with this decision. I bought an expensive Onkyo cs-n755 network micro sistem, only because of Spotify compatibility. Now they say that the service is ending, and what happen with the onkyo users? Whe are forced to spend more cash in a Spotify streamer?
Spotify/Onkyo should respond, not my wallet.

I have the same problem. Really disappointing.

But there is no date known when the service will be discontinued.

Hope that Spotify will change its mind about this bad idea.

I will be canceling my subscription when the time comes, what's the point of paying for services if they are canceling them?  This is obviously some sort of fued between the 2 companies, probably a bad meeting w exec's....  Further, how can they pull software from privately owned devices?  Not me, when something like this occurs at this high of a level it's usually a symptom of a failing company.... this is only the beginning.  Peace out spotify.....

Got an onkyo tx-nr626 bought specifically to play spotify. Got this annoying email. Where they talk about 'speakers'  but i presume they talk about my 626.   

Annoying and limited detail about when, why etc. Unprofessional and customer unfriendly.

This is so annoying! End of spotify for me, time to move to apple world.

Got Onkyo CR-N755 and Logitech Squeezebox and both have this weekend been killed by Spotify, for Spotify use at least. Where and when will I now want to use Spotify? On my PC? Hardly worth it. What trust is left for any future technology purchase? I liked Spotify but now I fear it's over - cancellation of Premium for sure.

That is about £1000 worth of kit made redundant, by the way. Not trivial. Cancellation done - it seems I have to continue paying for a couple of months before it takes effect. Made comments on cancelling but I don't suppose it will have any effect.

Same problem here. Since this weekend I realised I could not log-in to Spotify anymore on my Onkyo receiver. Initially I thought I had entered the wrong password. But now I read this. 

A certain Huib writes: "As Spotify looks to improve the overall Spotify experience, they are removing the app from all Onkyo speakers."

However, we don't have any experience anymore on our sound systems. Really sad. Just like many of you, I bought this stereo to simply enjoy Spotify without having to use a mobile, PC, Playstation or TV...

Perhaps I should consider changing to the competition if the unique selling point is gone.

Just had the same thing happen on my CR-N755.

I will be thinking twice about continuing with Spotify now.

I also have Onkyo NR-717 that stopped working. Furthermore spotify app also stopped working on my LG-OLEDC6 television, which is only 6 months old !!!

It seems that spotify is not really interested in keeping customers, I have been paying the premium for several years and no this. It is time to look for other streaming music prodiders.

-

Tapio

I have exactly the same issue with TX-8050 - I can not login to Spotify anymore. The receiver is connected to network via Ethernet cable and although the Onkyo remote application works, Spotify Android application does not see the receiver in Devices. Both Android mobile apps run on phone connected to WiFi in the same network as the receiver.

What can I do to listen to Spotify on my Onkyo?

Is there any hidden way how to specify the IP address of my device directly?

You won't be able to listen to Spitofy any more because they have retired the API that the ONKYOs use to connect, even though there must be thousands of people using it.

Unless your device is update to use "Spitofy Connect" you might as well give up.

Google chromecast is the best answer

Google chromecast is the best answer

Installed it on the pc-in port of the onkyo and surprise surprise  it works...

Not even required the chromecast audio device...

Had the chromecast connected to my samsung tv.  Now to workout if i perhaps need 2 device or that somehow i can get it all working with one.

Great suggestion! Thanks !

Sadly my crn755 doesn't have video connections.

Sadly my crn755 doesn't have video connections.

Is it possible to control Spotify over Google Chromecast with a Windows Laptop?

Suggested posts