Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't connect to Sonos devices for a few days now.

Spotify won't connect to Sonos devices for a few days now.

Hi, I've been using Spotify to play music on multiple ethernet-wired Sonos speakers for years, up until a few days ago. Now, Spotify just says "Connecting to " when I try to connect and eventually times out. This happens on Spotify on Windows 11 and on Android. It happens to my Sonos Playbar and Play:1. However, the devices work fine through all other mechanisms, including the Sonos App. I tried restarting my internet and my computer and phone and speaker. Nothing makes a difference.
25 Replies

Hey @comicsans,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

Could you check if there are any firmware updates pending for your Sonos devices? It's also worth resetting them to their factory settings.

Another possibility is to try switching the Sonos devices' DNS addresses or the router's DNS addresses to the Google ones as well. More on that here.

Let us know how that went,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Same issue here. Spotify connect neither work with Sonos play 5, ikea Sonos bookshelf nor Sonos Roam. Can also not connect to Chromecast from Spotify Connect

Hey @Vliegh1,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you go through the steps in my previous post and share the results? This way we can narrow down on the reasons for this behavior.

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator

Been at the same place as you! Never had a prob with Spotify and sonos and since I did the last update 2 weeks ago and then none of my 8 of 9 sonos speakers are appearing in spotify. Really not impress, so far, about the management to resolve the issue! We still pay for the service and say that they can connect to that third party!?!? Not so sure anymore!

I am also experiencing the same issue. Spent 30mins with Sonos and tried everything but Spotify and Sonos not talking to each other even though other services are fine.

Hey @Mazza54 ,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

In order to check this further, could you share with us the exact make/model, OS/firmware version and Spotify version installed on your device. It would also be great if you include the info of your Speakers too.

Additionally, let us know if this issue started after a recent update and send us a short video of the issue. This way we can  understand what exactly is going on and advise you better.

We'll be on the lookout for your update. 

LyubkaModerator

I have a similar issue, spotify cuts out randomly for a few seconds now and then on my Sonos Play 5 gen 1

Hey @nick_francis55,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

In this case, we'd like to gather as much info as possible. Would you mind letting us know what troubleshooting you've tried so far? This'll help us avoid repeating steps. Can you also share with us how you're connecting your devices to your Sonos Play 5, for example Connect, Bluetooth, etc.?

Any additional details (such as your phone's make, model and OS version along with Sonos's specifics ) will be very helpful to our investigation as well. Sending us a quick video of how the issue looks like would come in handy. Don't forget to add the exact Spotify version you're currently running. If you don't know how to check it - go to this FAQ.

We'll be on the lookout for your answer and we'll see what we can suggest next 🙂 

LyubkaModerator

Hi @lyubka

I've had spotify and Sonos support helping with this but nothing works. I've a feeling this is actually related to the format of data sent to the Sonos Play:5 Gen 1 that it struggles to cope with when it's busy. 

Hey @nick_francis55 

Thanks for getting back to us and apologies for the delayed response.

The behavior you're describing might be affected by a number of factors such as the OS, factory settings and limitations from certain devices as you mentioned. However, we appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. We'll make sure to pass it onto the right teams at Spotify, as we always strive to improve your experience.

Hopefully you'll see if this gets improved but we can't guarantee when or if this will be taken into consideration.

Cheers! 

LyubkaModerator

I am having the same issues. It connects, then disconnects, sometimes it skips like an old CD. Over the years with my system at home I have had similar issues. The issue does not happen with other streaming services, only Spotify. I have tried with the new Iphone14 with latest software, and other devices. It is definitely not the app on the device. It's the way it integrates with the Sonos app. I have reset routers, unplugged Sonos5 reset it, re installed it, deleted both apps etc. Spotify works through Sonos so it doesn't even matter if someone has the actual Spotify app on their phone as it connects through Sonos. 

What else could be the problem? Is this a software issue on Sonos' side? Really frustrating that I cannot find a fix. 

Same issue here. Been following this thread but it does not look like this has been resolved.  Clearly spotify and sonos are not playing well together. Spending too much time trying to resolve. Should probebly go back to Pandora which works perfectly.with sonos.

I think my issue related to using with older Sonos speakers. I now drive my old play5 using linein from a PC instead so can play Spotify from there. Works for the specific use case I've got but accept this isn't ideal for all. The only other solution would be replace the speaker with a more modern one.... 

Hi! I've been struggling with the same isue for a couple of weeks now and been searching everywhere for a solution with no real progress. But today I tried something different that could be a solution for you too because you also have multiple Sonos-devices (maybe grouped?)
I tried to just ungroup all Sonos devices so they are handled as different devices instead of one. Suddenly they all appeared as single devices in the list in Spotify-app. I could connect to any of them successfully. Then I regrouped them into one device again, and everything works as normal

I have the same issue, only with Spotify and only when connecting to Play1 speakers (Beam seems to work ok). It’s infuriating when every other service plays fine. Including Tidal, who are now getting my money instead of Spotify. 

Same problem for me and some other persons. Topic can already be found in the Sonos Forum but they don't have an answer either.

Direct control via Spotify Connect not possible, neither via the Smartphone App nor the desktop App.

Spotify within the Sonos App works but it is limited in it's overall fuctionality.

I've had the same problem with my Sonos speaker for a few weeks now. Not able to connect via Spotify Connect. Device shows up in Spotifiy, but gets stuck in "connecting" state and then aborts after some time without success.
It is the following Sonos speaker:

SYMFONISK Picture Frame IKEA
Sonos OS: S2
Version: 15.4 (Build 73041050)
Hardware version: 1.34.1.9-2.2
Series ID: A201
WM: 1

Maybe this will help support narrow down the problem. I have already made an entry in the Sonos Community Forum for this. It seems that some there have the same problems.
I hope this can be resolved soon.

I have found the cause of my problem. It was due to the DNS server on the network. Changing the DNS server fixed the problem.

dealer.spotify.com was added to a blacklist of PiHole in my case. Added an exception to PiHole and Spotify Connect works again.

Suggested posts