Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why is Spotify jumping to a different playlist mid-song?

Solved!

Why is Spotify jumping to a different playlist mid-song?

I'm playing my selected playlist, and suddenly, it jumps to an obscure playlist I have never played. It keeps happening while I am playing the first song in my chosen playlist. 

This has happened to me on and off, but now it seems to do that all the time. why is that and how do I fix it? I installed the latest app, but it didn't help. I tried this on my Roku TV, iphone, or on my desktop, but this terrible behavior persists. Please help!!

Thank you,

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @kenlusaka!

Are you able to consistently reproduce this behavior? If so, a short video which showcases it in action would be greatly appreciated. That way we can get a clear understanding of what's happening on your end.

Feel free to also share the troubleshooting you tried so far so we avoid repeating the steps. You can try logging out and signing back in twice in a row as this triggers an internal refresh of the app that may help here.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. Cheers!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hey @kenlusaka,

Thanks for your reply and for the info shared.

We understand what you're mentioning and we'd like you to know we'll do our best to clarify things for you. Since you mentioned the app sometimes starts to play music without you opening it, it's possible someone could access your account aside from you. You can follow the steps in this article to secure your account.

In this case, just to confirm, is your account Premium or is on our free service? We'd like to make a little clarification 🙂 Our free experience on mobile is different; the app adds suggested tracks within the same album/playlist. This is not the same as Autoplay. You can read more about it here. Keep in mind, these recommendations are going to appear, even if you disable Autoplay.

Lastly, we understand you followed some troubleshooting (kudos for that!). As mentioned previously, it'd be very helpful if you send us a video recording of this behavior, since it'll help us to better visualize this inconvenience. You can attach the videos in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload them to YouTube or Google drive and make them public, so we can watch them.

We'll be on the lookout!

AlejaRModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi @kenlusaka!

Are you able to consistently reproduce this behavior? If so, a short video which showcases it in action would be greatly appreciated. That way we can get a clear understanding of what's happening on your end.

Feel free to also share the troubleshooting you tried so far so we avoid repeating the steps. You can try logging out and signing back in twice in a row as this triggers an internal refresh of the app that may help here.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. Cheers!

YordanModerator

Hi, thank you for your support. I tried to logout and back in twice in succession, on web browser as well as on my iphone. I tried several times but this annoying behavior continues. What else can I try? 
The other day, I was driving and was listening to Pandora (because I just couldn't take Spotify jumping playlists abruptly...) through Apple CarPlay, but alas! a random Spotify playlist started playing suddenly while I was listening to Pandora. Oh my, this is bad. 

Please help.  Thank you,

Hi again @kenlusaka!

Is it always the same playlist that the app jumps to? Could you try capturing this behavior on video and share it here so we can have a closer look? It sounds like something (could be an app that you recently installed) is automatically starting Spotify and causing it to play.

It's also worth checking the apps that are currently linked to your profile on your account page and remove them temporarily to see if that does the trick.

Keep us posted on this.

YordanModerator

Hi Yordan, 

Thank you for your patient help! I tried again your earlier suggestion to log out twice, but this time I did it on Roku TV too to make sure that I was logged out of the app on all devices. This time, it seems to have solved the problem. 

Thank you very much. 

Hey @kenlusaka,

Thanks so much for letting us know that the situation is resolved for you now.

Another pro tip that we have for you is to keep your apps and firmware updated to the latest versions available, so you don't miss any fixes or new features being released. 

Stay safe and If you need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Kiril Moderator

Actually, the behavior came back. And, I cannot fix it. I have logged in and out on all devices, reinstalled the apps, but it still jumps to a playlist that I have never played (like Yoga), within the first few min of starting my playlist.

The app is so buggy, I give up. I will use other streaming apps. I liked Spotify the best, but cannot put up with this ongoing mess.

Marked as solution

Hey @kenlusaka,

Thanks for your reply and for the info shared.

We understand what you're mentioning and we'd like you to know we'll do our best to clarify things for you. Since you mentioned the app sometimes starts to play music without you opening it, it's possible someone could access your account aside from you. You can follow the steps in this article to secure your account.

In this case, just to confirm, is your account Premium or is on our free service? We'd like to make a little clarification 🙂 Our free experience on mobile is different; the app adds suggested tracks within the same album/playlist. This is not the same as Autoplay. You can read more about it here. Keep in mind, these recommendations are going to appear, even if you disable Autoplay.

Lastly, we understand you followed some troubleshooting (kudos for that!). As mentioned previously, it'd be very helpful if you send us a video recording of this behavior, since it'll help us to better visualize this inconvenience. You can attach the videos in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload them to YouTube or Google drive and make them public, so we can watch them.

We'll be on the lookout!

AlejaRModerator

Hi AlejaR, 

Thank you for your follow-up! I apprecaite it. 

You were spot-on, with your comments about someone else accessing my account. I actually reached out to Spotify support chat, and they confirmed that someone from another country was accessing my account. That was quite upsetting and this is the second time that my account was compromised. Sigh, 

So, I went through the reset steps to secure it again. Now, it seems I have my account all to myself... 

Thank you,

Hey @kenlusaka,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

We really appreciate the time you took to share with the Community those details. We’re happy to know you could sort this out. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need us again.

If you need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Take care!

AlejaRModerator

Same problem here, listening to a playlist continously is not possible anymore, after the first title (sometimes the second) it jumps over to another playlist. I'm so **bleep**! Maybe changing to another service is a much better solution. I dont want to spend time with troubbleshooting, thats not what I pay for!

This same problem is happening to both me and my husband. I looked online and don't have any third party apps connected to my account except one I use to play music in my house. We have a paid family plan. There are two really annoying things happening to our account.

The first one is that I will be in a specific playlist and it will jump to songs not in the playlist in the middle of the song. It says these are songs suggested by spotify. The other thing I find it doing is I will be driving and it will be linked to my car and then every 30 seconds it tries linking to another device and stops playing in my car.

I have the most recent version of spotify.

Hey @kmuke,

Thanks for posting in the thread!

To start, first we recommend trying all the suggested troubleshooting steps by the mods in this thread, so that we can avoid repeating any of them. For instance, you and your husband can log out of your accounts everywhere via the Overview Page to make sure that you're not accidentally logged into one account on some of the devices you're using, as this can cause different issues with Spotify's performance.

When it comes to connecting to different devices, you can simply Forget the unwanted one(s) via clicking on the three dots next to the specific device > Forget device.

Let us know what steps you've tried exactly if the issue continues to happen so that we can decide what is the best that we can suggest next. 

We'll be on the lookout 🙂

IvelinaModerator

Suggested posts