Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[bug] searching for certain genres returns incorrect results

[bug] searching for certain genres returns incorrect results

Plan

I've tried both free and premium

Country

Country

Device

PC, Web player, Phone

Operating System

Windows 10, Android

My Question or Issue

When I search for genres with a dash in them I got erroneous results. I've included a screenshot with my username cut out that illustrates my point. I've tried the following genres:

j-pop

j-rock

k-pop

c-rock

For example, if I type in genre:"j-pop" I'll get some correct results like kana-boon and ikimonogakari, but I'll also get results that are obviously wrong like Janet Jackson or Michael Buble. If it were just a few I'd think it was just an issue with the tagging, but there are so many incorrect results that I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the search. This only happens with the genres I've listed. I searched for kawaii metal and got only correct results. I've tried searching with and without quotes, on the web player, the desktop app and my phone, and using different accounts but it makes no difference. I suspect this issue occurs with any genre with a dash in it, but it's easiest to notice when I search for an Asian genre and get a bunch of white people.

j-pop search screenshot.png
3 Replies

Hey @cloudberrybob3

Thanks for posting on the Community about this. 

If you observe this issue when using a specific punctuation mark in the Search we can recommend checking out the tips listed in this help article. 

In the Advanced search section you'll find more info on how to use the punctuation marks when looking for a specific genre. 

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions. 

I've read the article, but it doesn't really help.

I see that the dash can be used when searching for a range of years but this isn't the case here. I'm just searching for a single genre, not a range of genres.

Do I have to use an escape character or something for it not to interpreted as a range?

What's the solution here?

Hi @cloudberrybob3,

Thanks for getting back to us. 

We understand where you're coming from and will make sure to pass your feedback on to the right team, as we always strive to improve your experience. 

If anything else comes up, we're always a message away. 

Cheers!

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts