Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Fairphone 4

Operating System

Android 12

My Question or Issue

Since a few weeks, I cannot download podcasts. Whenever I tap to download an episode, the wheel starts turning and doesn't stop. As soon as I go to flight mode, I have no access to the episodes that I tried to download. Even the ones that I downloaded long time ago, where not accessible offline anymore.

Downloading music works as usual.

I restarted my device multiple times, reinstalled spotify multiple times (including clean reinstall) but it's the same.

I have a lot of space left for data storage. I also tried dowloading via mobile internet, doesn't work either.

I would be very pleased for receiving support 🙂

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there @Jösh & @Dark_Hurrabusch,

Thanks for the additional info!

Seems like the issue might be related to the operating system. Since it's not a fully supported OS, we can only recommend keeping the app up-to-date so that you don't miss out on any fix.

We would usually suggest some troubleshooting, similar to what @Jösh already mentioned. However, we're not able to guarantee that it will work in this specific case.

The Community is here for you, should anything else come to mind!

MariaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

15 Replies

I kept on trying a little bit of this, a little bit of that. And - for whatever reason - it works again.

> Problem was solved.

Hey @Jösh,

Apologies for the late reply here, we just came across your post!

I'm glad everything works well though, thank you for letting us know 🙂 

If the issue resurfaces or should anything else come up, don't hesitate to reach back to us 🙌🏼
Many thanks!

VasilModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Unfortunately, the issue comes back again and again. After a few days, I cannot access the episodes offline and I can only see the spinning wheel. Often, it will work again after a log out/log in. But also the issue will come back soon…

Hey there @Jösh

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Could you let us know if you're using an SD card? If so, we suggest that you remove it > perform a clean reinstall of the app > restart your phone and check if this did the trick.

If the issue persists, could you ask a friend or a relative to log in to their account on your phone and check if they can replicate this behavior? 

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hej @Eni,

Thank you very much for the quick response. Can I reinsert the SD card right after the clean reinstallation? Or what would be the idea?

Hi @Eni,

Meanwhile I've done quite some tests.

I realized, that my offline episodes were gone after an update. I cannot yet say, if that was just a coincidence or if it is reproducable.

What I found reproducable: Whenever I restart my phone, my offline episodes are anavailable and the spinning wheel appears instead. Then, I have to logout. When I want to relogin, the following error appears:

Screenshot_20231115-205418_Spotify.png

So the login fails. After restarting the device, I can relogin and download the episode sucessfully. This whole procedure, I repeated several times and it happens every time. And: I also tested the procedure with the SD card removed, same behavior.

One additional test I did: After the logout, when I 'Clear storage' of spotify in the app manager, it is possible to login without a restart of my device (the error message would not appear again). However, it is still not possible to download episodes. Therefore, it seems that I cannot avoid a restart.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Hey @Jösh

Thanks for getting back to us. 

You mentioned that you already tried with a different internet connection, just to confirm, did you get the exact same result? 

On another note, it'd be useful if you could ask someone such as a friend to log in to their account on your phone to see if they can replicate this behavior. This will help us determine if the issue is account-related. Also, could you try logging in to your account on a different mobile device to check if the same happens?

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi @Eni,

Yes, the result is independent from the internet connection I use.

Finally, I found someone having spotify premium who also knows his credentials. I was able to reproduce the issues, i.e., the offline episodes were not accessible after I had restarted my phone and I was not able to download them.

Hi @Jösh,

Thanks for the reply. Can you confirm if you also tested on different devices as @Eni suggested? If you haven't, please try and do so and let us know how it goes.

Keep us posted.

JoanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi @Joan,

I use a Fairphone 3, I am from Germany like @Jösh and have exactly the same problem since Sep/Oct as well (did all possible troubleshooting steps, too).

Is it possible that there is a connection of this error to the proprietary Google libraries? I use a LineageOS-fork of Android 12 (/e/OS) which relies on microG, an open-source implementation of those libraries. Many Fairphone users use /e/OS, so maybe it's the same issue with @Jösh's Fairpone 4 here.

Hi @Joan,

Yes, I had tested it on my old phone, the issue did not happen. Sorry for not letting you know before.

And I can confirm what @Dark_Hurrabusch mentioned, I am using /e/OS. 

Marked as solution

Hey there @Jösh & @Dark_Hurrabusch,

Thanks for the additional info!

Seems like the issue might be related to the operating system. Since it's not a fully supported OS, we can only recommend keeping the app up-to-date so that you don't miss out on any fix.

We would usually suggest some troubleshooting, similar to what @Jösh already mentioned. However, we're not able to guarantee that it will work in this specific case.

The Community is here for you, should anything else come to mind!

MariaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hey @Maria,

Thanks for the support anyway. Sorry in that case for bothering. I did not expect it would be an issue with the OS since it had been working perfectly so far.

Hello!

I had the same problem with a FP3+ and /e/OS since a while.

For not giving up I searched every view weeks. Shortly I found this community link.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Your-Library/Podcast-not-downloading-correctly/td-p/5872217

I tried the recommended things and for me what worked very well was to toggle on 'download audio only' under Settings > Data Saver.

Best regards

peter

@peterle_
<> :
It worked. You are my hero 😄

Suggested posts