Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Error Message "You Need to live at the same address"

Error Message "You Need to live at the same address"

I have been paying for premium family but nobody in my family can log in with their accounts because it say "you need to live at the same address"  I have confirmed my address in the account setting and I watch my family members put in the same address but it will not work!  I am really frustrated and have wasted a buNone of the below information is required. However, the more you provide the easier it will be for us to try and help.

Plan

Premium Family

Country

US

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

60 Replies

Hi @stef2luxe,

Thanks for reaching out. The countries of all accounts need to match in order for them to join together in a Family plan. For Premium accounts, the country is defined by the payment method used, which is why you cannot change it manually. If you've already updated to a German payment method, then the country will be updated on the next billing date. Then, everything should work.

Hope this clears things up.

JoanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I ran into this with my son. I had to login using a browser (not iphone), go into his Profile and change his country to match (he had it as USA instead of Canada), and had to update the Address section to Ontario, Canada as well. Then I could use the premium family invite link. 

The same issue for me please. help/fix this

How do we log in via the app then? There is no incognito mode for an app. 

Hey @FlorenceCasse,

We suggest using an incognito window when users have trouble with accepting invites or setting up a family plan - as all subscription matters are handled via our website. Same goes for setting up accounts and resetting passwords and an incognito window ensures that no cached info and saved accounts would be in the way of doing all the steps correctly. 

When it comes to the app - once you have set up the plan you should be able to log in as normal.  

Hope this shines some light on the matter. Cheers!

ElenaModerator

Hi! The same thing. We in the same place, in the same network and external IP address, I put the same Address but it doesn't work. I try it on the devoice, I try it from PC in Google Chrome Incognito, same thig. Pleas Help! 

Hi there, I am trying to join the family and having the same problem. I have tried incognito also incognito and did not worked.  

Hey @31d3nwscofdc7mxn2ttt!

Has the plan manager entered their street/building number in their address? If so, ask them to try removing them and sending you a new invite to see if that does the trick. 

Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

This is ridiculous. I used to live in Prague, where I first singed in. Now I live in Hungary, want to add my family members to my account, but it says we need to live on the same address. Reading this thread, we tried an incognito mode, hasn'rt worked, so I decided change the country, but it doesn't allow me to change it to Hungary. Absolutely no way around it. We are even on the same wi-fi. Can anyone from spotify finally give an concrete answer how to fix it? 

This does not work. Spotify says the address is too generic if I remove parts of it.

I have the same problem. I moved to Colombia two years ago and now finally changed the country, payment method etc. And my husband living in the same appartment cannot join the family account. His country is set to Colombia. He types in the right address. How can we solve that?

Hi @Banzay,

Thanks for the reply. 

Firstly, do not post screenshots where sensitive information is visible, as all posts on the Community are public. 

When the member is entering the address, it has to be exactly the same as it is on the owner account and any slight difference will cause issues. Street numbers, postal codes and such, all need to be identical and formatted in the same way. Sometimes, the address might be autocompleted to something different. Check if this is the case and if so, then update the owner's address to the formatting that is being autocompleted for the member. Then it should work.

Hope this helps.

JoanModerator

I did not post any sensitive information - just a street name. I do not appreciate removing the screenshot I uploaded because my post now provides significantly less information and help to members of the community. I decide, which information I post and you should respect that.

Second: you cannot put the street name into Spotify by yourself. You always have to select from the Google Maps suggestions, so I doubt, you ever used the process, you try to help us with - and by this its complete pointless for you to answer. You cannot change the autocompletion.

We could solve it by being on the same Wifi when joining the family. We have several wifi networks in our home, some devices use 4G/5G etc.. This was the problem. So one family member I just signed up at my computer. And the other family member switched to the same wifi, then it worked.

It is completely ridiculous Spotify has these strong measurements when using the family account and then cannot even provide any helpful advice.

I hope you change your policies and behaviour.

Hi, I am having the same problem. I wanted to start a new thread but the website won't load the page so I am replying here. I have an American account but I have moved to France. I got a premium plan and input my address as my French address. When I went to invite my partner, he put in the same address in France but received an error message that our addresses don't match. I tried to change my address linked to my credit card but got a message that I can't change my card to my French card because my account has an American address. But I can't change my address without changing my card... I've tried so many times that now whenever I go to change anything from my account settings, I get error messages. Please help! This is so frustrating. 

Hi there folks,

Thanks for the replies.

@Banzay firstly, all posts must adhere to the Community Guidelines and posting sensitive information goes against them. An address, even just the street name, is definitely considered sensitive, so for security reasons it will be removed. 

Secondly, the network is not what determines whether or not a user can join. In order for it to work, the address being entered must be the same everywhere and all the countries on the accounts need to match. Most likely some kind of network restriction was making the address autocomplete to something incorrect, which is why it wasn't working on your end. Nonetheless, it's great to hear, that it worked for you.

@emkra your issue is most likely related to country settings too. Check your account and if you have an address in France but an account set to US, then the members won't be able to join because of the discrepancy. Consider updating your payment method to a French one and on the next billing cycle the country will be updated to France. Then, everything should work as expected.

Hope this helps.

JoanModerator

It is ridiculous to see 1.) you have no idea how "sensible information" is
commonly defined and 2.) you have no idea how your system works. Even with
being in the same country but just on another Wifi (and ISP) we got "out of
country" error messages, so we could not even enter the street address.

Please: get some proper training and publish a real documentation of the
family functionality.

I have thr same problem. Every time I try to join my family's plan it tells me i have to live in the same adress even if I'm right next to the person thta mad the plan. I have tried everything and nothing is working and its getting really frustrating. Some please help me.

Hey @Berserker2300,

Thanks for your reply here.

Would you mind letting us know what troubleshooting steps you've followed so far? That way, we can avoid repeating any steps. 

Keep in mind, the error message "You Need to live at the same address" can be related to the country or region not matching the accounts of users who want to share a plan. To check if that is the case, users can go to their Account pages on Account overview> Edit profile> Country or region to verify if they have the same country or region.

If you need to change your country/region settings, you can follow the steps in this article. If you encounter issues when changing the region, please let us know.

Once you've done that, we recommend making sure you're putting the exact same address the manager added to the plan. They can double-check the address by going to their account page> Manage your plan> Manage your family accounts. There under Your Address, they can check the address. 

If that doesn't do the trick, you can also try to join the plan from a different device from the one you've been using to see if you notice any difference. The system takes into account periods, commas and spaces. So, give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

Thanks so much changing the region in settings worked

We live in the same house but it says we don't. We have been trying for almost a month now with no luck

Suggested posts