Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Gift card and Spotify Premium Family - spotify workaround not working

Solved!

Gift card and Spotify Premium Family - spotify workaround not working

Hi Spotify,

I am a Family Plan member, and received some gift cards for Christmas.  I was unable to redeem the gift cards against my family account, however then read the following posted workaround, which details cancelling the family subscription, redeeming the gift cards, then reapplying the family subscription:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Accounts/Gift-card-and-Spotify-Premium-Family/td-p/1539640

I cancelled the family account, and redeemed the gift cards, however am now unable to change my family account, due to a "Payment failed. Try again, or use a different payment method."

As the card details are fine, I assume this is because there is premium and not family premium credit on my account?  My other family members are going to lose their subscription once the family subscription runs out at the end of the month.  Can you please advise how I can switch my account back to a family account, without having to wait three months for the gift card credit to be utilised?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

To update this thread.

I re-attempted the process of switching back to the Family Subscription today, and the payment authorisation was successful!  I didn't change the payment details, and am unsure as to if there was a general issue with payments on the site at the time, or someone changed something behind the scenes since then, however looking at my next payment date (in two months time), the gift card credit was successfully applied/redeemed against my family subscription.

So to summarise, it is possible to utilise gift card credit against a family subscription, using the workaround detailed above. 🙂

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Marked as solution

To update this thread.

I re-attempted the process of switching back to the Family Subscription today, and the payment authorisation was successful!  I didn't change the payment details, and am unsure as to if there was a general issue with payments on the site at the time, or someone changed something behind the scenes since then, however looking at my next payment date (in two months time), the gift card credit was successfully applied/redeemed against my family subscription.

So to summarise, it is possible to utilise gift card credit against a family subscription, using the workaround detailed above. 🙂

Hi!

When you switched back to family plan did you pay 15$ more, or just 5? 

Hi, I redeemed 3 x £10 gift cards (I'm based in the UK). A premium subscription here is £10 a month and a family subscription is £15, so the gift cards eventually paid for 2 months family subscription (Spotify didn't need collect an additional payment however still validate the card details when setting up the plan again).

Thanks a lot!

No problem. Hope it works for you too. 🙂 

Suggested posts