How does the Spotify algorithm work?

How does the Spotify algorithm work?

LunaFaust
Casual Listener

How does the Spotify algorithm work? I mean the "Made for you" section. What does Spotify exactly track? Of course, If I listen to EDM then Spotify would make Daily EDM Mixes and Discover EDM Weekly. But is that the same with local music? Maybe I listen to a lot of rock in my local files via Spotify. Would the Spotify algorithm get it and suggest me some rock music too? And does the algorithm also work with custom-made playlists?

3 Replies
1 person liked this

Re: How does the Spotify algorithm work?

Rising Star 14 katiek_
Rising Star 14

Hi There, 

The spotify algorithm works by the music you litsen to and the genre. Therefore, it creates daily mixes, discover weekly (new music) and your release radar, as well as new songs they suggest for you in your playlists based on the name/genre. For example, if I litsen to Billie Ellish frequently, it would suggest more Billie Elllish on my Daily Mix and songs similar to her type of music. 

Hope this helps :) 

katiek_Rising Star 14
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
1 person liked this

Rising Star 14 katiek_
Rising Star 14

Hi There, 

The spotify algorithm works by the music you litsen to and the genre. Therefore, it creates daily mixes, discover weekly (new music) and your release radar, as well as new songs they suggest for you in your playlists based on the name/genre. For example, if I litsen to Billie Ellish frequently, it would suggest more Billie Elllish on my Daily Mix and songs similar to her type of music. 

Hope this helps :) 

katiek_Rising Star 14
3 people liked this

Rock Star 15
Rock Star 15

Hey  @LunaFaust

The algorithm doesn't monitor your local file usage.

Spotify algorithms observe all playlists you create and listen to, all artists you check out and so on, to improve the generated playlists (Discover Weekly and Release Radar) and Daily Mixes.

Local files are unknown to the algorithms. Of course, sometimes Spotify recognises some of them, but this hasn't happened to me. :)

Hope this helps!

SebastyRock Star 15
SUGGESTED POSTS