Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Please reconsider shutting down iOS/Android streaming SDKs

Please reconsider shutting down iOS/Android streaming SDKs

Like Rolf and their Amazing Slow Downer app, Zeyu and their MixOnSet app, Prady and their Boom app, Jukestar also uses the Mobile Streaming SDK to bring thousands of people to Spotify each week.

Jukestar uses the Mobile Streaming SDK to take control of the music queue in real-time enabling a live social jukebox at house parties. It doesn't manipulate, alter, cross-fade or change the music sound in any way, so I don't believe it will impact Spotify's music broadcast licenses.

Over the years I have experimented with multiple versions of the newer "App Remote SDKs" however since the Jukestar app is no longer actually playing the music, I have not found a reliable way to keep the app from being killed in the background by the Android/iOS operating systems. The new App Remote SDK also has had a range of issues reported by other developers on GitHub that unfortunately have received very limited attention to date.

If you could please reconsider shutting down the Mobile Streaming SDK. Even if possible, reaching out to us developers to provide us some more context on the operating costs and challenges of keeping this older Mobile Streaming SDK alive in its existing deprecated state, like it has been for the last 3 years.

What is Jukestar?
The Jukestar social jukebox app will automatically distribute the playlist based on who requested what, when they requested it and what other guests think of the songs. This way, everyone gets a fair go. No one can hog the playlist. The good stuff gets played. The bad stuff gets skipped. Accessible by everyone.

Thanks,
James

--
Founder
Jukestar
Get the party started.
52 Replies

As a fan of Jukestar, I second James's request.

Jukestar is amazing and use it for dance parties. It would be amazing if Spotify can support the app developer to keep it going.

As a developer myself, SDK migrations are hard and suck a ton of resources, even when there is full feature parity.

As a user of both Jukestar Host and Jukestar Guest I can’t put into words how useful, fair and popular these apps are.

Since the shutting down of the Mobile Streaming SDK I suspect Spotify is unaware how many people this will effect. To put this into context I put a search into Jukestar looking for the search name “party", I found over 30 results, if the average party size is 20 you are talking into the range of 600 people. Now consider all the other potential Jukestar playlist names and this could be effecting thousands of users.

Spotify please reconsider shutting down the Mobile Streaming SDK so that app like Jukestar can restore their functionality.

As a user of both Jukestar Host and Jukestar Guest I can’t put into words how useful, fair and popular these apps are.

Since the shutting down of the Mobile Streaming SDK I suspect Spotify is unaware how many people this will effect. To put this into context I put a search into Jukestar looking for the search name “party", I found over 30 results, if the average party size is 20 you are talking into the range of 600 people. Now consider all the other potential Jukestar playlist names and this could be effecting thousands of users.

Spotify please reconsider shutting down the Mobile Streaming SDK so that app like Jukestar can restore their functionality.

Screenshot_20220908-143510.jpg
Screenshot_20220908-143500.jpg
Screenshot_20220908-143522.jpg

Jukestar is literally the only reason I have/use Spotify. With it no longer working...

I pay a lot for Spotify and should be able to consume the service without restriction. Well built and supported SDKs help bring third party features and extra value to the service. Jukestar and Outloud.dj have been major parts of my overall satisfaction with Spotify, offsetting other shortcomings.

inbound8608831058299306309.jpg
inbound557491037349092993.jpg
inbound3494944555711369960.jpg

We were planning on using the app for our big day coming up and so sad it's suddenly stopped. We play a family subscription to Spotify and we should be able to listen to music how we want. Please reconsider.

I also support James in his plea to reconsider the closing of streaming SDKs 

I use this app quite a bit, not just for parties, but as a way to safeguard children from discovering inappropriate music.

I only pay for premium so I can use the Jukestar app!  Spotify please reverse course on this decision!!

Jukestar is our favorite way to play music at parties and long weekends. It's a perfect compliment to Spotify. Please save Jukestar!

I'm using Jukestar for my bar and I would be happy to pay (more) for it. My guests are really sad that this isn't an opportunity anymore. The regular Spotify options aren't enough

I use Jukestar for my Halloween parties and it has been a successful asset for my guests to enjoy requesting songs. As a paid customer of Spotify, please consider reenabling the SDK that allows 3rd party apps to function. Thanks!

I use Jukestar for my Halloween parties and it has been a successful asset for my guests to enjoy requesting songs. As a paid customer of Spotify, please consider reenabling the SDK that allows 3rd party apps to function. Thanks!

I love using Jukestar when playing DND with my friends, or when on the job. It was most of the reason some of us use Spotify (for socializing). Really disappointing to see this accessibility halted. Please reconsider this decision - thanks!

I was hoping to use Jukestar for my friends upcoming party.  I really hope this can be fixed 

This is unfortunate but not surprising given they never implemented Airplay 2 and requests for them to implement fell on deaf ears. Unfortunately it’s not likely Spotify will respond to anyone here either.

Jukestar is the best thing to happen to Spotify...ever. This is a very disappointing move from Spotify.

Showing my support for Jukestar on this matter. Found this resourse just recently, and it's a great way to use Spotify in a way that Spotify themselves didn't think of. Reach out to Jukestar and James for solutions, please.

Suggested posts