Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Web Playback SDK Support for additional browsers

Web Playback SDK Support for additional browsers

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

When can we expect the Web Playback SDK to move out of Beta and be available for Safari for Mac and iOS, and Chrome/Firefox on Android and iOS?

3 Replies

Hi!

We are working hard to make it happen, however we cannot pin a date just yet. In particular for mobile browsers, as we already offer a native sdk for it.

I'd like to note that, as of May 2020, Spotify's own web player now supports Safari (including mobile Safari): https://9to5mac.com/2020/05/15/spotify-brings-back-safari-support-for-its-web-player/

It looks like all it would take to enable the Web Playback SDK for mobile Safari is to add FairPlay to the list of EME modules. Glad to hear support is on the roadmap, hope we see this soon 🙂

As an aside, it's a shame that Spotify doesn't use the Web Playback SDK for the official web player. Apple does this with MusicKit JS and the Apple Music web player, and I think it's a big reason why MusicKit JS is significantly more robust and reliable than the Spotify Web Playback SDK, and why MusicKit JS has feature parity with the playback available in their web app.

Hi, 

You do not offer a native SDK for watchkit, Web Playback SDK on apple watch would be nice.

Suggested posts