Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Payment retry without updating details

Solved!

Payment retry without updating details

Hi all,

I am using a virtual credit card, where I change my limit manually each time I make a spending. Spotify -naturally- fails to draw payment at the starting of the month, then I raise my limit, and have to "update my payment details" with the exact same card details. Is there any way to prompt Spotify to attempt a withdrawal with same card info, without updating my details, entering all the same numbers each time?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there folks!

Thanks for reaching out about this!

If a Spotify payment doesn’t go through as usual, you won't immediately lose your subscription. We’ll keep trying to take the payment over the next few days.

This means that if you make the needed changes to your card, the system will automatically try to take the payment at a later point and if everything is in order the charge should be successfully processed.

The attempts from the system are automatic and we recommend re-entering your payment info if so that you could speed up the process. 

Hope this shines some on the matter! Let us know if you have any other questions.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

20 Replies

Hey @corsel, welcome to the Community!

You shouldn't be needing to update your card info every time a payment needs to be made. Try cancelling your subscription from here > clearing your browser's cache and cookies > resubscribing from your subscription overview.

If the issue keeps happening, don't hesitate to let us know 🙂

Just to make sure we're on the same page; Spotify fails to draw payment (which is expected), I wish to make it try again with the same credit card.

Also, cancelling and re-subscribing would be a more cumbersome option, as I'd have to prove I'm a student and wait for its acceptance.

Hey @corsel,

We understand that this must be frustrating for you. Rest assured, re-subscribing from scratch should ensure that you have a recurring subscription going forward. 

We'd recommend following the steps here for sorting out the payment method.

Hope this helps!

Any plans on fixing that? It is really annoyiong and basically every other provider figured that out.

Please, just install a button so we can choose to rerun the card after we put money in our account. Having to re-enter the card information, or even worse, re-subscribe is ridiculous.

100% agree!

Similar problem, card account balance gets low, payment is attempted by Spotify but fails. Resubscribing is very cumbersome and if several people have this problem, hundreds will be having the same problem. Please please please consider a retry payment attempt with existing payment details!!!
Marked as solution

Hey there folks!

Thanks for reaching out about this!

If a Spotify payment doesn’t go through as usual, you won't immediately lose your subscription. We’ll keep trying to take the payment over the next few days.

This means that if you make the needed changes to your card, the system will automatically try to take the payment at a later point and if everything is in order the charge should be successfully processed.

The attempts from the system are automatic and we recommend re-entering your payment info if so that you could speed up the process. 

Hope this shines some on the matter! Let us know if you have any other questions.

ElenaModerator

we seriously need that button. it's really getting tedious having to re-enter your banking info. other subscription site/app has those buttons. please please find a way to install one

Sam problem, but when I add the info again it says they cant verify that card in that moment. There si money ther right now, I just want Spotify to retry in the same card.

It also says that they will try again in a few days but does that mean thy will try in the same card if I haven't changed the info? Or only if I change the info?

Spotify can feel free to withdraw the money right now.

Hey there @k00ri,

Thanks for reaching out to us 🙂

The system will try again to take the money using the payment method you've chosen. It will make an attempt even if the payment details are not updated. 

We'd suggest you open an incognito window on your PC. Sometimes the cache can lead to different issues. Then you can follow these steps and update your payment details.

Hope this was helpful for you. If you have more questions, we are here for you.

Ver Moderator

Just add the "Retry now" button please. We, your loyal subscribers, just want to make sure we won't run into problems especially if we have to go on the road / offline mode for a while. Thank you.

How can a company like Spotify be so stupid, passive and stubborn about this? It seems like such an obvious feature to prioritize, even from the onset, and one that is clearly in demand¡

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your replies and feedback.

We understand that things can feel frustrating when things don't work as you'd like them to. Rest assured that we're always trying to improve as we always strive to improve our features.

If you think this suggestion will appeal to other users you can always create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. 

We hope for your understanding and that you continue using Spotify and find it gets better in the future.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Annoying for those of us who prefer to manage our payment cards this way, that we can't just click a try payment, or pay now with card on file, option and get peace of mind. Sucks to sacrifice a piece of our mental comfort because we have to wait and see. Bleh. But does feedback like this ever make it to your product managers really? 

This is not a solution. We need a "retry payment" button with the current payment information. You are saying that the solution is 1a- you will either wait and check later for whether payment is done (so assigning user another task to remember and undertake for an unspecified later time, or 1b- just leave it uncertain as it is now) or 2- enter the already existing information again to trigger a payment attempt. This is not a solution with the current problem. You are stating that current situation is the solution.

I just don't get why they are not adding a "retry" button?

Why not adding a 'retry' button or at least telling us in the mailing/notification *when* will the retry happen?

I paid with the wrong card on accident, the balance on 'spotify' card fell below the amount needed, payment obviously failed - so I topped up the account almost immediately (which would be two days ago or so). Since then spotify has been twiddling thumbs and I virtually can't touch this card because I don't want to risk another 'payment failed' and losing my premium (though if it would happen, I feel I wouldn't resub). 

How long is "few days" in this case and why is it a secret?

here in 2023. absolutely embarrassing this hasn’t been added yet. this is what complacency gets you. no customer service and an app that can’t seem to load my saved songs unless i put it in offline mode 

edit: also this thread is hilarious. people clearly asking for something and the reps just robotically replying “beep boop update info and wait a couple days beep boop” 😂 i love customer service in 2023

Suggested posts