Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Premium suddenly stopped working in offline mode on my Android.

Spotify Premium suddenly stopped working in offline mode on my Android.

For the past month now, my Spotify hasn't been working in offline mode. The play button would turn into the pause button when you pressed it, but the seconds on the song wouldn't increase and nothing would play. This would only happen with some songs and then suddenly it stopped working entirely. Now it registers as if I don't have any songs on my phone. I turned my phone off and on again, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, and tried downloading new songs (which it did, because it took up storage space) and nothing works. 

I'm pretty irate about this considering I pay for premium and it's been as useful as a free account for the last month, so I just wasted my money.  

11 Replies

Hey woottone,

Sorry to hear you are having issues! Can I grab some more information from you? What phone are you using?

What Android version are you on?

What Spotify version are you using?

Did this start happening after an update?

Best,

Jordan.

What Android version are you on?
Moto X Play, Android Version 6.0.1 

What Spotify version are you using?

Did this start happening after an update?

I'm not sure, my phone auto-updates so I'm assuming it's gone through a few in the past 4 weeks. 

Is your phone rooted or still using a stock ROM? I know you have tried a completely fresh reinstall but you could possibly go to your settings and try clearing data and cache and see if that makes a diffence?

Best,

Jordan

You mean in Spotify? 

I just attempted it, it didn't work. 

Ok, is your phone rooted (jailbroken)?

Whoops sorry I missed that part in my earlier response. Yeah it is jailbroken.

No worries, I would have a look at your hosts file, you should have "127.0.0.1 localhost" as your first line, if you have any others you can delete them or comment them out using "#".

To find your hosts file get a file manager app that can use your root to access more parts of the phone, then navigate to: />system>etc then find the hosts file. Open it in a text editor then delete or comment out any lines that aren't '127.0.0.1 localhost' and see how you go then.

I personally recommend ES file explorer for all your root file management needs as I use it all the time and it is extremely easy and useful.

Good luck!

So I tried doing that, but there was some permissions issue that wasn't letting me save the file after I edited it. Which was something I needed to dig a little deeper into, and so I put it off. 

I ended up deleting all of the spotify data from my phone's settings menu because I needed space for other things, and then I tried to re-download songs for offline mode just to see if it would have solved the problem. After doing that it now works for whatever reason. 

Thanks for your help! 
Emma

Always happy to help Emma, if you need anything else let me know!

Best,

Jordan

My premium doesn't work after upgrading my prescription it's still showing offline and asking me to upgrade?????

Hi @user-removed,

Sorry to hear about your issue!

I'd just like to get some more information from you, have you got your Facebook account connected to your Spotify account? What device/s are you using? Did your subscription work at all or not? Any additional details would help us alot! 

Good luck and best,

Jordan

Suggested posts