Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

[Desktop][Playlists] I want to be able to reset ALL Spotify playlists

Solved!

[Desktop][Playlists] I want to be able to reset ALL Spotify playlists

I recently had a party for my Mexican friends. I spent many days listening to a lot of Mexican and other Latin music. I put together some excellent playlists that everybody loved. But now Discover Weekly and Release Radar have predominantly Mexican/Latin music. I don't want this. I want to get back to the music I listened to before the party. How can I do this?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Santiago18

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community. We moved your post from Ideas to the help boards as it's content fits better here.

We understand where you're coming from. However, song recommendations are based on your listening history and cannot be reset. This is because the tracks are now part of your algorithm and that cannot be manually changed.

In case that you want to use your app for another party in the future, we’d recommend activating the Private session to avoid recommendations to get influenced by these unwanted tracks. You can check how to do it here.

As an alternative, you can block the music of an artist in order to skip all of their songs. To do this, you can go to the artist profile in your mobile app, tap the 3 dots button and select the option "Don't play this".

Hope this helps. If anything else comes up, the Community will be here for you. 

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @Santiago18

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community. We moved your post from Ideas to the help boards as it's content fits better here.

We understand where you're coming from. However, song recommendations are based on your listening history and cannot be reset. This is because the tracks are now part of your algorithm and that cannot be manually changed.

In case that you want to use your app for another party in the future, we’d recommend activating the Private session to avoid recommendations to get influenced by these unwanted tracks. You can check how to do it here.

As an alternative, you can block the music of an artist in order to skip all of their songs. To do this, you can go to the artist profile in your mobile app, tap the 3 dots button and select the option "Don't play this".

Hope this helps. If anything else comes up, the Community will be here for you. 

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks for your quick helpful reply. I appreciate it. 

Yes but it's not a very helpful answer. My daughter started playing music she likes in the car on my Spotify account and it has ruined the recommendation algorithm for music I like. Having to go through and unlike all of her selections is a pain to say the least. New music discovery was the reason I went with Spotify over Apple music a few years ago and if there isn't a way to reset it, I'm going to drop Spotify.

This is a very poor solution for a Pay for Use App.  Spotify keeps launching a Wake Up Happy Playlist and no > didn't have a party where I played the list all night long. Iay have played a few songs and the next thing I know, I can't get rid of the list.  Nothing like ramming music down someone's throat.  This is horrible and it that is your response, I will need to find another streaming service 

How bout just cancel your subscription, then create a new account with a new user name.  Then you’ll be starting fresh?

Totally inappropriate response. This does not respect users' privacy. So I cannot get off the hook of your algorithm???? I have a right to be forgotten.

I should have a "reset" algorithm option. 

Spotify doesn't even allow to clear the algorithm in its entirety. Why is that not an option? That's different from pruning songs from an algorithm. The only way to do it now is to close the account entirely, surely that's not something a company wishes to encourage?

It is a stupid excuse for lazy coding. Shame on you, Spotify. Sad, because it was such a good service.

Go to the playlist you want to exclude from your taste profile > Hamburger menu (3 dots) > "Exclude from your taste profile". Excluding white noise and other kids stuff from my taste profile fixed "Discover weekly" after 2 weeks. I'm a normal human being once again!

Exclude from your taste profileExclude from your taste profile

I guess this explains why I get recommended Christmas songs all year round 😞

On Spotify, Christmas isn't just for Christmas...

Hi, Oscar. I want to tie in to this question with two addition. My recommendation ended up in what seems like a self-reinforced loop. The same 4-5 bands cycle, and (with exception of 1) they only have 1-2 songs liked. I generally like those bands, so blocking them is not a solution. Additionally, elsewhere an advice is given to create a new account (which makes sense if the whole history is baked in the algo and can't be changed). However, I am a paid member and the question is what is meant by that (do I cancel subscription first) and is deleting an account and registering it again with the same mail enough to clear the algo (if that is possible, and mail not stored permanently).

Thanks but this doesn't work.  I've already excluded it from my taste profile but it continues to be in the first position in my playlists.   Can't get rid of the playlist.

Capture.PNG

This does work in some sense, but at the same time. It doesn't. If you exclude every playlist from your taste profile it will just ignore the playlists and only go of off your search history, which in many cases makes it even worse.

Is it possible to do the same in the Browser app (I'm using Firefox on Windows 10)?

This is ruining my Spotify experience. I loved being able to play my Discover Weekly and actually discover something. I do love to listen to country (hopefully this is a safe space to admit that) but I also want to hear new music. Every single playlist on Spotify now is now 'made for me' so no matter what "mood" I'm in - I end up listening to a slightly different regurgitation of country music playlists. I want to be able to switch up playlists and hear new things. My Daylist is essentially exactly the same every day. I think algorithms have taken this too far to be honest and should be limited to a handful of set playlists instead of every single one.

Suggested posts