Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Distinction between "save" and "like"

Distinction between "save" and "like"

The new design has made saving certain albums seemingly impossible. For some (usually deluxe) albums that have bonus tracks or demo tracks added to them, I would save only the songs that were part of the original track listing, then from the library, download the album. Now those tracks that I've saved have become "liked," and in my library, what is "saved" is the entire deluxe album, unwanted tracks and all. Worse still is that the entire album is downloaded, and not just the previously "saved" and "liked" tracks.

Does anyone else have this problem with the new design or is there a way to fix it? This makes me want to cancel my premium subscription

15 Replies

Hey @charmquark,

Thanks for posting about this in the Community!

We recently rolled out a new Your Library experience. As a result, the way that music is saved to Your Library has changed - you can read about the changes in detail here.

Now, when you save an album, you'll see it appear under Albums in Your Library. When you like an individual song from an album, you'll see that appear in your Liked Songs playlist.

We regularly run updates to improve your experience with the app. The refreshed Your Library was developed to help you manage and access your favorites faster. It’s the first version of this update and we’ll continue to build on it based on your feedback.

Hope that clears things up! Let us know if you have any questions about any of the above 😉

Hi,

Making a difference between saving albums and liking songs is really great and a feature I was really looking forward to.

However, it looks like every single songs of all the albums I've saved in the past are in my "liked songs" playlist, which is REALLY annoying, because I've often saved random albums because I liked one song and thought I'd come back to the album later to listen to it - although I don't always come back to them straight away and more importantly I don't always like all the songs in those album.

Is there a way to "clean" my liked song playlist of all the songs automatically added when I saved album, and only keep the songs I've actually "liked"??

Thanks a lot

I have the exact same problem

pretty sure you can go into you any saved album and unlike certain songs.

• Yes, please 

My liked songs playlist is now totally meaningless because it contains every song from every album I add to my library. This can't be the intended outcome surely? It definitely disimproves the user experience

Hi @Mzallen,

Glad to have you on the Community. 

Liking an album doesn’t automatically like all its songs. But if you saved all the songs of an album to Your Library there is an easy way to remove them again. Here's how:

1. On desktop you can go to the album with the songs you'd like to remove.
  2. Open the album and click on a song, then press Ctrl + A on your keyboard.
  3. Now you can right-click on any song and select Remove from your Liked Songs.

If you us a mobile device, you can do the same by tapping the 3 dots icon on the album and then the heart shape icon next to Like All Songs.

For full info about this, you can check out this support page.

Hope this helps. Give us a shout if you have any further questions.

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Liking an album doesn’t automatically like all its songs. 

Liking an album now doesn't, but liking it before the change seems to have, based on the linked article saying, "Now all the songs you’ve liked or previously saved by clicking ❤️ or + are in the playlist 'Liked Songs.'"

This also seems to be a point of confusion for new folks (like myself) who used third party services to import existing libraries from other services, as they tend to "like" all the songs individually as matched.

That clears things up, yes, but warn us next time you make such a significant change (e.g. with a pop-up or banner). I've been using Spotify for 11 years and this has kind of **bleep**-up my library.

I didn't even curse, I said "screw"...

I know I'm chiming in too late and  this post won't have any impact, I just really want to vent because this change created such a mess of my library, that years later, I haven't recovered from it. I'm on spotify since 2014 (maybe before that), and with thousands of albums and artists, it's been impossible to curate all that from the beginning. The current situation is a "Liked Songs" playlist (that  maxed out after an update, and had to delete some songs, but god knows what's in there, I never touch it), a "Liked" and a "Favorites" playlist - all 'broken' after different updates over the years - that I also don't touch, because who knows when the next update will influence them. 
The purpose of the heart button is still unclear - If I'm to believe the web player, it adds/removes songs to my Library and the Liked Songs playlist - which makes zero sense, because the library and the liked songs should be two different things, as their names imply.
Also, no more access to liked albums.
And the most infuriating thing, is that such changes come with no warning. Sending a push notification with what's gonna happen is not hard. With large collections, reverting the damage is close to impossible, preparing for it isn't. 

I'm having the same issues, completely agree with the above. Currently, even "adding" an album, without any Liked Songs, adds all of the songs to the "Liked Songs" section of the artist page. Very confusing, and it's very clear the Spotify team does not have it figured out. Even they don't know the difference between a "liked song" and "added album". I wish I can listen to my Liked Songs Playlist, but, it's completely useless right now, same as before they made the change. I'm trying to go through all the albums I've added in the past to remove the auto-liked songs, but it's been very painful because there's so much. What I want and don't want are all mixed together. I'm considering moving to another music service just to call it quits and start fresh somewhere else.

Hi folks,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

There's an existing idea about changing this, so feel free to check it out and +VOTE for it, if you haven't already. You can also Subscribe to the thread so you're notified when there are any updates on the matter.

The Community is always here if there's anything else you need assistance with.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

That existing idea is closed. Can't +Vote it anymore.

Hey @sarahnade,

Thanks for the reply!

Even though the existing idea is marked as Closed, it's still open for voting, so you should be able to +VOTE for it. Could you send us a screenshot which shows how the idea looks on your end?

Check also if you've finished your registration here on the Community by clicking on your profile > Finish registration.

We'll be on the lookout.

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Suggested posts