Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How can I teach Spotify a previously played song is not really of my taste?

Solved!

How can I teach Spotify a previously played song is not really of my taste?

Plan: Premium

Device: Android, Desktop, Nest/Google Home

My Question or Issue

Every once in awhile I notice Spotify "learned" some taste wrong. I notice it when I see weird suggestions in my Daily Mixes, or buried inside them.

Sometimes, it's because it was playing some discovery playlist and I left the room/device (and then it played some things I actually wouldn't like, but I didn't notice or couldn't skip in time, say, doing the dishes).

Other times, my boyfriend asks Google Home to play something, and the device mistakes his voice for mine and plays what he requested on my Spotify account. Then I either see weird playlists in the Recently Played or Shortcuts, or get surprised by weird Daily Mixes or weird music in otherwise "expected" mixes.

This is not about unliking songs (clicking the filled heart), but instead about the suggestions Spotify does based on past history.

Long story short: how I can teach Spotify that's actually not a good song for me?

Would be great to have the "block" button available anywhere, not just in discovery playlists.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there @igorsantos07,

Welcome to the Community!

Currently you can dislike songs with the Hide Button 

You can do this on the Mobile app in the Daily Mix, Release Radar, Discover weekly and the Radio generated playlists. This helps the algorithm figure out what music you don't want to hear. You can also block certain artists from playing when you go to an Artist profile on Mobile, click the 3-dot menu and select Don't play this

There is no other way to manually tell the app what music you don't like. 

We suggest that you should log off your Home music devices when you know someone else would be playing music. You can also try switching on Private listening from the app settings, this will stop the algorithm from tracking what you're currently listening to and won't take it into account when it makes recommendation playlists. Note that your friends won't see what you're listening to either.

Hope this info is helpful. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have more questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey there @igorsantos07,

Welcome to the Community!

Currently you can dislike songs with the Hide Button 

You can do this on the Mobile app in the Daily Mix, Release Radar, Discover weekly and the Radio generated playlists. This helps the algorithm figure out what music you don't want to hear. You can also block certain artists from playing when you go to an Artist profile on Mobile, click the 3-dot menu and select Don't play this

There is no other way to manually tell the app what music you don't like. 

We suggest that you should log off your Home music devices when you know someone else would be playing music. You can also try switching on Private listening from the app settings, this will stop the algorithm from tracking what you're currently listening to and won't take it into account when it makes recommendation playlists. Note that your friends won't see what you're listening to either.

Hope this info is helpful. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have more questions.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Neat! Being able to explicitly dislike an artist is already half the way there. If the "dislike song" button was more widely available in the Desktop app, it would definitely be better.

Thanks for the help. Let's pray that Google Home learn better to recognize the people in my house lol

Hi there @igorsantos07,

Thank you for your reply.

If you have ideas for a feature and you think your suggestion will appeal to other users you can always create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. 

You can read more about how your feedback reach Spotify here.

If you have any questions we're always one reply away 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts