Release Radar includes wrong artist with same name as desired artist

Mihail

Here's an as short as possible version of a previous post in this thread, explaining the behavior of the Release Radar.

• I receive tracks from artists I don't follow at all in my Release Radar - This is intended and we don't plan on changing this. The Release Radar doesn't only help you keep track of artists you follow, but is meant to allow you to discover new music from others we think you might enjoy. It is also one way for Spotify to help artists get their music noticed.

• I get music that I don't enjoy at all in my Release Radar - This means our algorithm doesn't know your music taste so well. There can be many reasons behind this, but the rule of thumb to improve the music you receive in the automatically generated playlists for you is to listen to music without a private session, use the like and hide features, have more intentional music listening habits rather than opportunity based and when you discover something new that you enjoy, listen to it proportionally more than other content. Following these guidelines should give you better recommendations in time. It will still not be perfect and it can vary from person to person, but we're constantly improving these as we go.

• I get tracks from artists that are named exactly the same as ones I follow and enjoy, but it turns out the track is unrelated to that artist and they only have the same name. - This happens if a track initially gets erroneously uploaded to the artist you follow. It can be that the error is already corrected by the time your Release Radar updates, but it already captured the track on its upload. It can happen with featured artists as well. Currently, there's no technical solution in place than can prevent errors like this happening, as we rely on submitted metadata. If you spot an incorrect content, it's best to report it as described here. Make sure your report is clear. If you can't find an artist profile with the same name as the one you follow, it probably hasn't been created yet and is part of the reason the error occurred. Point that out in your report to ensure it can be processed efficiently.

Re: Release Radar includes wrong artist with same name as desired artist

arcadechan
Regular

I'd consider Release Radar a core Spotify feature, as much as I do Daily Mixes and Discover Weekly. Maybe that's just me, but it's a huge let down to have wrong artists suggested when a unique identifier like artist ID exists.

Here's 1980s DEVO's Spotify page, with a completely different DEVO's album showing up.
Devo Artist PageDevo Artist Page
Here is the wrong DEVO in the Release Radar. Clicking on DEVO led me to the page above.

Devo in Release RadarDevo in Release Radar

The Spotify desktop app allows a song to be flagged with two options: "I don't like this song" and "I don't like <artist>". It'd at least be nice to have an option for "This is not the correct <artist>", but that'd require tracking the correct artist ID, which obviously Release Radar is not doing at all.

To top things off I'm subscribed to email notifications for Spotify's Release Radar and Discover weekly notifications. The email displays the same wrong artist information as does the playlist. Just doesn't seem worth it to be subscribed to these notifications at all if the playlists are broken. 

nietoperek
Casual Listener

I've encountered a similar problem with my favorite Italian artist Emma.

Multiple artists figure with this name. For example, I found this song in my Release Radar - the artist I follow was tagged, but who's singing is an English-speaker.

Ulumsk
Regular

This really detracts from the value of Release Radar and Discover Weekly for me. I've probably heard more from this obscure rapper called DEVO than the New Wave band I actually listen to. 

I guess I should start a heavy metal band called Drake to get some free emo rap fan listens...  

Re: Unwanted Songs in recommendations because name is the same as a different Artist that is wanted

Logancates
Visitor

I had this exact same thing happen and am just now realizing it and feel so dumb. I love Phoenix (indie pop band) and last year or so got a notification from Spotify that Phoenix released a new album, and when I listened to it it was all this weird Italian kind of aggressive rap. However, it seemed plausible because they had a lot of italian influence in their last album and frequently talk about experimenting with sound. I’ve gone this whole time thinking that this was actually their album and only now after doing some digging realized that Spotify f****d up and it was actually a totally different artist. Ugh. The amount of people I discussed this weird album with 😓

jeremycorbett
Gig Goer

Why the **bleep** have Spotify mods marked this as 'solved' when its still a problem, for goodness sake.

You say you've passed it on to the tech team? Well near six months later and it's not fixed yet, so its not solved.

Another_David
Regular

diegoperl
Casual Listener

plan : premium

spotify desktop

same problem here, but this is not new, 

diegoperl_0-1600407768265.png

decuman
Music Fan

decuman_0-1601020497031.png

spotify:album:5uzeZLtTWO5D9eAQkusYvq

ANOTHER ARTIST HIJACK - That's not SCORN

Any official response or explanation on why actually happening?.. It is so annoying and frequent that I'm almost about to pack my stuff and move to other service.

decuman
Music Fan

I've disliked many artists I like already because of this isssue.

decuman_0-1601021289988.png

shawndiaz
Casual Listener

Still an issue today..America, the great band of the 70's has not produced any new music that I am aware of, yet this is the second week a single has shown up in my Release Radar that is in a foreign language. 

Non-America song.jpg
America credits.jpg
America about page with another incorrect single.jpg
SUGGESTED POSTS