Release Radar includes wrong artist with same name as desired artist

Release Radar includes wrong artist with same name as desired artist

abcdefgabcdefg
Visitor

I constantly find my Release Radar recommending songs by an artist (say A) with the same name as an artist (say A') that I might actually wanna listen to. This is extremely dumb as an issue because these two artists are listed as genuinely different artists in Spotify and the newly recommended song by a wrong artist is listed as a song of A' in the system. A reasonable conclusion is that at least Release Radar does not look into the artist IDs but just merely refers to their names. This happens to like 5 different artists to me and my Release Radar is contaminated by songs which I have absolutely no interest in. I believe this is a very basic bug that can be fixed in like 5 minutes.

Mihail

Here's an as short as possible version of a previous post in this thread, explaining the behavior of the Release Radar.

• I receive tracks from artists I don't follow at all in my Release Radar - This is intended and we don't plan on changing this. The Release Radar doesn't only help you keep track of artists you follow, but is meant to allow you to discover new music from others we think you might enjoy. It is also one way for Spotify to help artists get their music noticed.

• I get music that I don't enjoy at all in my Release Radar - This means our algorithm doesn't know your music taste so well. There can be many reasons behind this, but the rule of thumb to improve the music you receive in the automatically generated playlists for you is to listen to music without a private session, use the like and hide features, have more intentional music listening habits rather than opportunity based and when you discover something new that you enjoy, listen to it proportionally more than other content. Following these guidelines should give you better recommendations in time. It will still not be perfect and it can vary from person to person, but we're constantly improving these as we go.

• I get tracks from artists that are named exactly the same as ones I follow and enjoy, but it turns out the track is unrelated to that artist and they only have the same name. - This happens if a track initially gets erroneously uploaded to the artist you follow. It can be that the error is already corrected by the time your Release Radar updates, but it already captured the track on its upload. It can happen with featured artists as well. Currently, there's no technical solution in place than can prevent errors like this happening, as we rely on submitted metadata. If you spot an incorrect content, it's best to report it as described here. Make sure your report is clear. If you can't find an artist profile with the same name as the one you follow, it probably hasn't been created yet and is part of the reason the error occurred. Point that out in your report to ensure it can be processed efficiently.
227 Replies

Beatalls
Casual Listener

The following artists popped up on my release radar despite not following any of them. Hope you guys can fix this soon as the feature is pretty unusable right now.

spotify:track:03B2SfXuvDh1m9F4tqrX07

spotify:track:7EMc3KIY60Msh1mY9mlHcJ

spotify:track:3HSqZn7jeB9wspEv73rmur

spotify:track:6qOBLMMgiW0HxHYhPFO8Hr

spotify:track:2vDdWinbd6nX42c3cSgOge

spotify:track:5AxJu9P4DNhgAjcehvOGra

spotify:track:4kS22b507V23DqWKrPzKpB

spotify:track:75YWTfd4FYpsY2Pbsh0SUY

spotify:track:1eGjD4jCwDM8mPBKtHgKOf

spotify:track:3SVGCQOwxQYhgtpdkMj1ml

spotify:track:7LXiDtfy9omcKaAAyGdrRM

Mihail

@jeremycorbett Not entirely sure which of the two types of instances that are mentioned here you mean. If it's about artists who don't have their own Spotify page but have the same name as others - as mentioned, for now we can only fix this after it is spotted by the team taking care of that or a report is submitted to them. A report will most certainly help resolve it faster. If you're talking about artists with individual Spotify pages incorrectly being added to the Release Radar, because you follow another artist with the same name - we will need a good set of reports of those as well in order to get to the bottom of the issue. Only with reliable data and the cooperation from affected users can we tackle those issues that we aren't able to reproduce ourselves.

@datfenristho I'm assuming you are referring to scenario 1 here, so I'll do my best to reply based on that assumption. Do consider that we're talking about a combination of technical limitations and human error.

Each day, a myriad of new songs are added to Spotify. In order for us to enable all artists, big or small, established or upcoming, global or regional, to easily add their music to our service so their fans can enjoy them, we have created a system that allows for distributors to facilitate this. Тhere're checks put in place and unique identifiers for each artist to ensure that the correct content is associated with its correct place in the app. These identifiers however need to be verified by those who add the music to the system. A machine cannot listen to a track so that it understands that "Artist SameNameB" is not actually "Artist SameNameA". It double checks if the name matches and if the unique ID provided matches and then does its thing. Unless we somehow take the human error away and are able to teach the system to differentiate the music itself, there really isn't much we can do to prevent this from happening.

We don't recommend a thread about this here in the Community, as our team really can't action these reports. It needs to be submitted via the way described so it reaches the right folks. From the reports we already see, it seems that on average, when there are such instances, it's 1 or 2 in the affected Release Radar. We're not saying that these aren't 2 instances too many, but it should be something that can be quickly reported. Only when working together can we quickly remedy this.

Regarding an in-app option: This is something we're actually exploring, but aren't at a stage where we can say that "yep, that's coming for sure!". As for why it didn't use to happen as often before - previously, featured artists weren't fully integrated, so they didn't influence any of the main artist pages. This is only judging by anecdotal observations, but it seems adding this integration has caused the increase in errors such as these.

@Beatalls - thanks for submitting those. Just to clarify, are those artists with the same name as ones you follow or just artists that you don't know? Please be aware that the Release Radar does indeed feature many artists that you don't follow, but the app thinks you might enjoy based on several factors. (If you don't, make sure to use the Hide feature to improve future suggestions.) In this thread we'll only be gathering examples, such as the ones submitted by rollulus.

MihailModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” - Keith Richards

Beatalls
Casual Listener
Thank you for the quick reply! I misunderstood the question in that case.
As far as I know I don't follow any artists with similar names. However
these songs and artists were VERY different from the music I normally
listen to. I mostly listen to alternative rock but this was lots of Spanish
and jazz... both of which I'm 100% sure I never listened to.

decuman
Music Fan

from the recent release radar wrong EMS artist:
https://open.spotify.com/album/6XM1IyDtXxNl6uOUax5mGH
I'm following the actual 'TRUE' EMS electronic music artist
https://open.spotify.com/artist/2EslrPb8o2EPM186KCcJyx?si=VGot1D_YR8GVm7MdhXMyOg

The artist About section is all correct.

There are at least 2 other different artist with same name with song and albums listed
Capture3.PNG

epetaculo
Casual Listener

rollulus
Regular
Thanks for your patient explanation, Mihail.

jakegerb
Roadie

here

kansasFAKE.JPG

Mihail

Here's the update from this week!

We have 6 valid, unique track/artist reports so far.

Thank you @rollulus, @phaidrosz - this was spot on! Please fill out the form as well, if one of your next Release Radars have such instances. We'll be keeping an extra close eye on your playlists.

Similarly, thanks @ishi_the_fishy and @cancerbat2009 - two of your reported tracks are what we're looking for. Please also fill out the form next week if you have more of the described instances, where the artists have 2 separate Artist Pages. Once more, reports of inaccurately linked (featured) artists should be submitted via a report.

Cheers!

MihailModerator

“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” - Keith Richards

masivodano73
Music Fan

I would like to add that in my humble opinion,  these "artists" that are purposely and fraudulently using popular artists names in order to get recognition and money should be suspended, banned, or in so.e way punished for this. It's not only making a mess if your service, but creating extra work for not only Spotify,  but now your paying customers. 

Hubo
Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Hey @masivodano73, thanks for sharing this here.

As far as I know of how Spotify is set up, it would actually mean that anyone listening to these songs would generate streams for the big artists they're linked to. So it doesn't sound likely. Most probably it's what @Mihail said and an error when uploading.

Feel free to give me a shout if you have any questions!

Have a good one,

Hubo

HuboRock Star 16
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

jeremycorbett
Roadie

Sorry for dumb questions, but how do we gather URIs?

ThomWim
Roadie
On the desktop, right click on the artist, then "share", then copy the Spotify URI.

Mihail

Hello everyone,

if we are to resolve this we need to put a bit of structure in place.

First up - we'd like to ensure everyone is on the same page and doesn't have any wrong information from unreliable sources. We want to reiterate that tracks of smaller artists, being associated to artist pages of ones with a bigger fan-base, is caused solely due to wrong metadata and interlinking, in turn caused by the wrong unique ID being used when uploading the track. Featured artists, as they can often be super small, seem to cause this quite often. There's a bit more details in this post of mine.

This can be fixed after upload and we have a team that manages that, but a report needs to be submitted. We are looking into better ways to submit the reports, but for now, if you wish to help correct such false interlinks, please follow the steps provided previously.

Now, the issue that we want to tackle is to prevent two artists with the same name, who already have unique IDs and thus their own Spotify Artist Pages, to show up in your radar, if you don't follow them.

To improve on the efficiency and accuracy of the data we gather, we want to ask everyone to fill out this form. We'll be checking this weekly and commit to provide you with updates whenever we have them.

Thank you!

MihailModerator

rubs
Regular

"A report must be submitted". Copying URIs and filling out forms is error-prone and ineffective. I'm sorry, but Spotify wants us listeners to do their job. As stated in the other thread, I've already submitted several reports some time ago and the results were none, and I got no response either. Just ask your team to take a look at the fake tracks reported in this forum and do it themselves. Here, for example.

MadmanOnWheels
Roadie

I just tried to fill out that form, but it required information that would have taken me too long to find. It tells us to put the wrong artist or artists that are in our "Release Radar" playlists. That's not my job; it's Spotify's. I don't mind filling out the rest, but I'm not trying to go through different artist profiles to find the fake one. This form needs to be revised, so that it doesn't require that information of us, which means the form cover would the full issue of wrong artists.

I was thinking that it's cool how Cinderella has a new song out. Slaughter, Warrant, and Firehouse are not grouping up together and with some other artist on as song . And Heart didn't put a song out, with some other artist. Spotify employees need to stop being so specific with what of this issue that they want to fix, and just fix all of the issue.

Here's the trash in my "Release Radar", this week.

Screenshot_20210305-215351.png

https://open.spotify.com/track/37UKIvzY42AQ6UxJC3JhOc?si=kXm9eqsjSuq6a8DrbZSB4A&utm_source=copy-link

https://open.spotify.com/track/2U57ydWvV9jgG7rdIG8hMq?si=4rwPd4Z3Tve6jPjiLscURg&utm_source=copy-link

https://open.spotify.com/track/3LnvljAnRF5OdEHFUPa8qA?si=JeyZewP2QCuWrGpXdzIsTA&utm_source=copy-link

https://open.spotify.com/track/6yLiaW9YjOmvH1YVNlvSZz?si=6LNuUcXpRRy1q18EUe7LYQ&utm_source=copy-link

Here's the real artists and bands that I'm following  (along with a few that I'm not, though I have listened to a song or two from each ).

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7HL4id2U7FSDJtfKQHMgQx?si=bluMpsYiRiaPevF5YddRRg&utm_source=copy-lin...

https://open.spotify.com/artist/34jw2BbxjoYalTp8cJFCPv?si=xarZq538SLiTOGYLdac1Wg&utm_source=copy-lin...

https://open.spotify.com/artist/4ibNXJiMYOPibpS9DB9Qz3?si=pPb_wip4TcqURQxY5XgjMg&utm_source=copy-lin...

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7HLvzuM9p11k9lUQfSM4Rq?si=gYxX2xXHS_a-q0omDBlMlw&utm_source=copy-lin...

https://open.spotify.com/artist/28pS8WVbFstY0o1SrqCf8I?si=FEaAFzPkTp2TutMHiGo5XA&utm_source=copy-lin...

Follow me

diegoperl
Casual Listener

this problem is so annoying ! 

in my last release radar i have more than 12 songs with this problem.

Pay attention that those songs appears with a wrong combination of artists

instead just one artists.

Usually the first artist in the list is the "faked" one to which the spam song belongs  and the others point to artist i follow ( although the songs has nothing to do with them)

reporting the songs doesn't help in fixing the real cause of the problem (I've reported dozens of songs along the years and each week the problem is still there but with different songs/artists)

diegoperl_0-1615533471913.png

packep
Casual Listener
This been going on for several years and every friday when my release rader comes 10-25% of the artists are wrong.Serioulsly, how hard can it be to fix this?
If an artist/label upload new music and that bandname is taken it should be impossible to connect that new name to an existing without proving that you got the right to do that. I know there are tons of names that are the same, but that's the case in every single database ever made and something that can't be so hard to solve.
You can't reley on your paying customers to fix your database. Every friday get's me closer to another service.

clnr
Regular

Thanks for the information on this subject.

I have two suggestions for Spotify to minimize this problem:

1: Never add an artist without a profile to a generated playlist such as Relase Radar.

2: Never add a song where the guest artist is a match in the algorithm for Release Radar.

Those two fixes would have completely removed all the wrong recommendations for me.

arcadechan
Regular

So happy to see traction! I'll make an effort to fill the form as often as I can.

I still believe it's more likely lots of these artists just happen to have chosen the same name as others, and the API is doing a string check on the artist name instead of a by unique artist ID.

I say that because as several have mentioned in this thread, there are two scenarios:
1. You click on the incorrect artist's name in Release Radar, and get redirected to the artist page of the artist you do follow, and sometimes even see the incorrect track/single release appear on the page of the artist you follow (cases where bad metadata is happening)

2. You click on the incorrect artist's name in Release Radar, and get redirected to a completely different unique artist page that does in fact belong to a different artist by the same name as the one you follow.

MetalRayzor
Regular

I'll believe we are getting traction on the issue when things get better instead of worse.

I was directed to this year long thread from one of the other threads where I've been complaining about this for at least that long. This week's Release Radar was as bad as it's ever been. Nine out of Thirty songs clearly in genres outside of my listening preference. Spotify even sent me an email - "New music from artists you love Nash Crime...". I have never listened to or even heard of Nash Crime and certainly never "liked" a song by that artist on Spotify or any other artist using that name or even any other song in that genre.

I sent in the suggested form to the best of my ability. I listed URIs for the songs from the misplaced genres but I rarely follow an Artist, and only occasionally, explicitly "like" a song or album. Spotify doesn't have any issues successfully curating the other lists in my feed with artists similar to those I listen to, it is always the Release Radar.  So, the problem is not specific to artists I follow. Some of the problem tracks are collaborations with names matching Hard Rock/Metal bands, others, I don't recognize at all.

to_be_still
Music Fan
The crux of the matter though is that those "featured artists" that "solely" due to wrong metadata and interlinking show up on the release radar are the main culprit causing the annoyance. And if those artists themselves are the ones entering the wrong metadata and this keeps happening more and more, you should start asking yourselves if those are not simple mistakes but they are just abusing the system to be "featured" on release radars they have no reason to be featured on.
SUGGESTED POSTS