Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sort albums alphabetically

Sort albums alphabetically

Using Spotify on Galaxy S21 Ultra, and on Mac OS.

How do I sort albums alphabetically? They are always sorted by release date.

10 Replies

Hi there @cantara256,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community!

You can sort the albums saved in Your Library with the steps you'll find in this article.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, the Community is here for you.

Cheers 🙂

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

I saw that article, but the "Sort" options do not exist. I don't really
know what that article is talking about, I think it's for a different
version of the app that's not the current Mac OS desktop app or the Android
app.

There are no sort options whatsoever on the albums list. There is only a
dropdown for Albums vs Compilations; and buttons to show albums by icons or
as a list.

The album list view has no columns to sort by; it shows albums in an
expanded fashion with all the tracks listed, but there's no standard list
table that you can click on columns to sort album by name.

On the Android mobile app, you can't even do that; artist discography is
only shown as a list of album pictures sorted by date, but no other options
to show as grid, sort, or anything at all.

Hey @cantara256,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you share screenshots of how the apps look on your end, along with your current app version?

Cheers.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I agree with the original commenter - I have read several articles from Spotify trying to figure out how to sort my albums alphabetically and they all reference a "sort" option that doesn't exist. Attached is a screenshot of my page from the web browser. It looks the same on the desktop app. There is no drop down I can click to sort which seems like an extremely, absurdly basic thing to provide users given how easy it would be for the app to support it.

Screenshot 2022-08-02 at 8.20.08 PM.png

Hey @alarsen11,

Thank you for joining the conversation.

The/ Web Player doesn't have the sort options that you can see on the desktop app. In this case, we'd recommend downloading and using the desktop app to see all the sorting options for your albums and playlists.

This can also be done on the mobile app; Just open Your Library, highlight the tag "Albums" and tap the sorting options located on top of the albums list. It's usually set in Recently played by default.

In case you don't have the option on the desktop or mobile app, include in your next response the make, model and OS version of the device involved, along with the Spotify version you're currently running.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

We're asking for sorting albums when looking at an artist's discography, not from the library view.

Lenovo Windows 10 Pro Model T470s, no sorting options anywhere within the desktop app. I can do some sorting on the phone app within my library but the sorting doesn't cross over to any of the other systems once done on the phone app.

Hey there,

Thanks for the replies.

It is currently not possible to sort the albums when looking at an artist's discography. Rest assured, we're constantly trying to improve the user experience on our platform and hope to see this feature implemented soon.

@alarsen11 The custom sorting is always local and is kept only on the device the sorting is made.

Hope this clears things a bit,

Cheers!

DianModerator

Ty for the last answer. Hopefully this get "sorted" soon 😄

Currently the albums are sorted by descending release date (Desktop Version for Windows,1.1.93...). The minimum that should be implemented is "ascending release date". 
I can't speak for others, but when discovering an artist's discography, I go through the proper timeline, which is ascending, not descending. Similar to reading a book collection, watching a TV series, etc.

Was also looking for ascending sorting option for the release date for albums in discography and found it's a bit silly there is no option to do that.

This is really awkward as if I wanna listen to the full discography (which is logical to do in ascending order of the release date) - I need to create a custom playlist each time.

Suggested posts