Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify not playing on one of my devices.

Solved!

Spotify not playing on one of my devices.

Plan

Premium, via family.

Country

Norway

Device

HP Z400

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

So I have a laptop, phone and stationary computer. For the last three or four months now my spotify has been unable to play on my stationary, only the stationary. Laptop and phone works perfectly fine.
Everytime I try to play a song, no matter what song, attached message pops up. I've tried downloading from windows 10 store, website, resetting my firewall THRICE, etc. I have also attached the specs, more than enough ram. The first time I reset my firewall (it had been edited to use LogMeInHamachi) it worked for a solid day. However I turn off my pc every night and the next day when I sat down it had returned.
Please help me, I'm tired of having to listen to either nothing or having to find a youtube playlist.

Edit to add: Spotify does indeed work in web player, problem only appears as soon as I download app.

spotify message.png
ram.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there @gonnaloveya,

Thank you for your reply and for the troubleshooting you've done so far!

Can you remove all lines from your hosts file by following the steps bellow:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

Keep us posted.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Hey @gonnaloveya,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

Let's start with a clean reinstall of the desktop app to make sure we're dealing with a fresh installation of Spotify.

This is a classic error message, that can be easily fixed. But first we need to make sure, what is the exact cause of it.

Could you check this thread for more troubleshooting steps?

Let us know which ones you tried.

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hello Dian,

Yes I have indeed done a clean reinstall and after doing that I reinstalled both from website and windows 10 store, none of which worked. I have just now done yet another reinstall and the problem continues. I did however realise after publishing the question yesterday, that spotify web player does in fact work. So it does appear it would be something with the device individually, even though there should be nothing to prevent it from working.

Marked as solution

Hi there @gonnaloveya,

Thank you for your reply and for the troubleshooting you've done so far!

Can you remove all lines from your hosts file by following the steps bellow:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

Keep us posted.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hello Jeremy,
If I'm doing this correctly, which I'm gonna assume I do, as I followed your directions exactly. The hosts file has about half a page of info. I don't know if I should share an attachment though, as I am uncertain if this has any info that leads to my location. What I can share though is this, which is stated at the top:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.

Below that is some two lines with "For example:" and some examples and then another two lines which has nothing with spotify to do. 

Although I didn't do any changes it appears to work! However I have yet to restart my PC and fully check, because last time the problem came back after doing so. If it comes back I shall send another message I guess lol.

Suggested posts