Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify randomly unliking songs??

Spotify randomly unliking songs??

Plan

Free

I have noticed before that some songs which I was sure I had liked (little green heart) before have somehow got unliked by spotify. This only happened a few times before so I brushed it off as a minor bug, however today, as I was going through a lot of playlists and artists I noticed VAST amounts of songs which I 100%, without a doubt had liked before, were now unliked (blank heart).

I'm not sure what caused this or if this is a bug, but it would be nice to fix this as I had to manually go back and try to find all the songs that may have gotten unliked by spotify. 

Top Answer
Alex
Spotify Legend

Hi folks,

Thanks for your replies and the info you've shared.

Songs can be removed and replaced on Spotify depending on the songs' right holders/specific distribution agreements with Spotify and when re-uploaded to the platform they'll be a different song compared to the removed/replaced version if the related metadata were edited (which is most likely the case if a song gets replaced with a different/newer/updated version) despite the title staying the same. This could be one of the reasons some of your songs are disappearing from your Liked Songs.

Another reason might be broken cache between multiple devices. This can occur on very large collections with more than a thousand songs in them. Especially if you're using your account across platforms. Best way around this is to occasionally clear the app cache on all your devices. Another thing worth trying is to split your Liked songs into playlists, this will also increase the app's performance when loading on some devices.

Also, for anybody having this issue only on mobile - you can check out this Ongoing Issue thread. Add your +Vote and subscribe to stay tuned with any updates on the matter.

Hope you find this info helpful.

65 Replies

I experience this as well. Here are some examples: most recently I noticed the song "Marijuana" by Chrome Sparks was not liked. This was definitely liked in my library. I searched the song to see all versions available on the release (since it was a top song of the artist, it was released several times). All releases (there were three) were not liked.

Another recent example: Kali Uchis' album "Sin Miedo..." was not liked (album and individual songs. I remember liking the album the day it came out and all the songs except for one that I didn't like. When I went to listen a few days ago, the album and all the songs were unliked. The songs were in a different order though, so this may be the new upload scenario that the spotify rep mentioned. Still not acceptable... How about a notification that the album has been deleted or re-uploaded? Is that too hard? Or how about automatically linking the old and new versions and just replacing the songs in users' libraries?  We use your software to keep track of our music collections.  This is unacceptable.

Another example: on of my favorite bands from the past decade: Jungle. Their albums have been in my top listened of the year, and I listen to them frequently via Spotify. Both albums were unliked when I checked on them a month ago and all songs were unliked as well. I know these were in my collection. I re-added them but who knows how many other songs have gone missing that I don't know about (I have over 7300 songs in my library currently).

The last agent I spoke with told me my account was probably hacked, but I highly doubt it. Changed passwords and am still noticing missing songs. FIX THIS ASAP.

Also just noticed this now after doing the full reinstall of both the desktop and iOS app:

Went to "liked songs". Selected "shuffle play". First song that comes up is Music Sounds Better with You by Neil Frances. I realize I want to add it to a playlist and decide to play another song it reminds me of. I go back to search for it again. I notice it's unliked. On both the album and the song.

How was it played from my "liked songs" playlist if it is not liked???? This makes no sense. This is after I followed the troubleshooting steps. Your software is broken.

Hey there @yotamon and @-58m6_aitmx74m

Thank you for your posts in this thread.

We suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps the other moderators been providing in this thread.

If the issue still persists after that, can you let us know if this occurs on one specific device or multiple deivces?

We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I too have seen my liked songs be removed for (mostly) no apparent reason. Things I have like both recently and years ago, from some of my favorite artists. I've revisited some of my favorite artist pages and all the songs I liked from them will be unliked, even though I have those songs in playlists and everything. Sometimes, when I relike those artists/albums/songs again, I'll see two copies in my liked songs, presumably one copy from a previous distribution of the song that has since been removed from the public artist page. I understand that these redistributions are a critical component to Spotify's business, but this needs to be tidied up.

Old songs that spotify loses the rights to distrubute should be greyed out or disabled and unplayable, not completely vaporized from users' libraries never to be seen again. That way we can at least keep track of the songs that are no longer accessible due to rights/distrubution complexities. If/When those rights are re-established, they should automatically be linked to the old version in addition to the greyed out version.

This happens on all of my devices. There are tons of other annoying bugs with liking songs I have experienced, but this is by far the most infuriating when I've spend literally thousands of hours curating my music collection and things vaporize.

I am a software engineer. This is a bug and/or a critical design oversight, not a user issue. I can't believe a platform/company this big is having foundational issues this glaring that I see freshman computer science / software engineering students avoid.

Hey @fne

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community, and welcome 🙂

The behavior you're describing can happen when an album or song gets reuploaded by the distributors. If they have different metadata or URIs, the app will check backstage to link to the accurate track, but it will currently miss to transfer the liked status to the newer version.

We've provided guidelines to distributors of what they can do to keep tracks fully in sync and basically overwrite old versions, but we know this is something that occurs. For now we suggest that you unlike the "old" track in the liked songs or saved album and replace it with the new one.

Also, keep in mind that the songs currently unavailable due to permissions from rights holders stay greyed out in the app. If you'd like to see them, you can activate the option to "Show unavailable/unplayable songs in playlists" in the app's Settings.

If anything else comes up, we're always a message away. 

Cheers!

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

So if this is the probpem so maybe bring a solution for music enthusiastic
like me who cant stand the idea of missing a favorite track. Im sure there
a lot of us. Maybe develop a notification system who notify the user about
a track that has been removed. If you dont have the budget to develop it
(im kidding..) so at least youcan send an email about it..

Thanks for replying 🙂

Hi there @yotamon,

Thanks for the feedback.

As avid music lovers, we understand how important it is to have your music collection in one place. Other users have requested that this sort of notification is implemented in the service. You can read more about this here.

Hope you find this info useful.

Don't hesitate to give us a shout if you have any questions in the future.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Jeremy,

I've tried restart, clean install, cache clearing, changing passwords on all my devices (Mac + iPhone). Just this morning I noticed another full album was not liked and all the individual songs (Neon Indian's Psychic Chasms) so it does not seem to be resolved.

The greyed out unavailable song feature seems to be working on my laptop but not on iOS (where is that setting?).  

Not sure how many songs are liked on my laptop - can't find the number of tracks listed in the liked songs playlist. When I select all to transfer to a playlist it only selects the top 100 songs (probably related to another issue which is in a different thread about only shuffling the most recently liked 100 songs instead of all the (7,452) songs in "liked").

Seems I have exhausted my troubleshooting options. What next?

Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 12.46.03 PM.png
IMG_0051.PNG

Hey again @disc_count,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

This can happen because of what @Novy mentioned above.

On another note, it's not possible to see the number of songs within your Liked Songs playlist on the desktop app as on mobile. When selecting multiple songs, you can use Ctrl/Cmd + A and it will stack up 100 songs at a time. You can also click on one song, then scroll down and use the key Shift + click on another song to select all the songs in between the ones you selected.

Lastly, you can find the option Show unplayable songs in the mobile app in Settings > Playback.

We hope this clears things up. If you have any questions or need anything else, give us a shout.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

It didn't. Still finding previously liked songs unliked.

Tonights wonderful example: skate depot by Channel Tres. 

I'll keep posting until this is fixed.

Still having issues with this. In my listening today I noticed four full albums that had been "unliked". The songs, not the album itself. INFURIATING. Fix it.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/Developer-All-Platforms-Problem-to-be-fixed-Unlike...

It is a current problem that it has been occurring for some time and they haven't solved yet, vote here if you want to support this change.

This is the typical recommendation "to try to fix it" that actually doesn't solve anything because it is an internal error of how the app itself works.

Thanks, but please Spotify fix this!!

This is still not a solution, you are just telling a user how to fix a problem that Spotify is created, but not even with a solution but through some kind of patch with a substitution.

Thanks anyway!

This is still an issue for me. Yesterday I noticed that Toro Y Moi's Anything in Return was not in my library despite adding it and listening to it on the platform for years. Pretty sure I added all the songs on The Audience is Listening by Cut Chemist as well and noticed that was not in my library either yesterday.

I'm aware of there being several version of the same release sometimes and the ability to toggle between them on desktop - sometimes that's the issue - one version is displayed by default and hides the one that's liked.

However, that is not always the case. I'm starting to notice now when I search for particular songs within my "liked songs" playlist that I am getting duplicates and triplicates returned. I'm very careful not to like songs on singles when I've also liked the songs on an album version so this means that something is out of sync with Spotify. I must be liking the same songs over and over again when I see that they aren't liked anymore and Spotify is treating them as different songs. 

This not only is a mess but it also throws off the already terrible shuffle feature even more, weighting certain songs heavily that have duplicates in my library when I shuffle "liked songs".

Thanks for making a new animation on the heart/like icon feature though, we really needed that more than a WORKING PLATFORM. Clowns.

Unknown Mortal Orchestra's "II" album is the most recent album unliked. One of my most-listened albums on this platform (they were my top artist last year). I guess I should have pre-emptively cleared my cache...MY fault huh?

Spotify keeps blaming users for their garbage programming. It's a common theme in these forums. No other company that I pay monthly does this. Getting REALLY tired of it. 

Noticed my "liked songs" playlist decreased by several hundreds of songs recently. How tf is that an acceptable paid product???

This is lazy. Hire someone to track these changes, you cheap bastards. We don't work for you.

I’m constantly finding songs that got unliked somehow. It’s TERRIBLE. There’s no telling what wonderful songs I could be missing without me knowing it. This is a REALLY awful problem. Priceless songs gone, that I may never remember. Many of the songs I like, I can not even type the name.

There are huge issues with liked songs!  I can't believe Spotify developers and employees don't notice these issues and don't care about reporting and fixing them... 

Everyday I can find unliked songs when I go to an artist page and inside one of its album. 

Basically the songs are still there, the albums are exactly the same, same number of songs, but the green heart has disappeared from every song you previously liked.
The album and the songs have now a different ID/link when you try to share them. 

However, the "old" versions which you previously liked still exist.
At least, you can still see all of them by clicking on the "liked songs" link "You've liked xx songs" at the top right of the artist page.
These songs share a different song link and ID than the new duplicates displayed in the current the artist page.

I can't believe people saying the unliked songs are re-uploaded or remastered, it's most likely the same song and same file, for several reasons:

- Both share the same number of plays

- On IOS, if the old song is inside a playlist that was downloaded to be available offline, the "new" version in the "new" album is still displaying the "downloaded" icon.

- the new and old songs sound exactly the same

- It happens all the time for so many artists !!!

One example here, two different links of the same album:

https://open.spotify.com/album/6JCUphA7UdtdwD7N7kKYoS?si=I4n6DMGQRN-IDEx46o9THQ

https://open.spotify.com/album/5dOdpUbt2zHmCXRmZPamcb?si=J94DRydQQouGuRvtI2JqQw

Mine recently batch unliked songs from today [6/14/22] to Feb 24, 2021. That's a lot of music gone... suuuuuper frustrated. 

Suggested posts