Start Playlist Radio - "This content is not available."

Plan

Free

Device

Web Player (Firefox / Chromium)

Operating System

Windows 10 / Linux (Raspberry Pi)

My Question or Issue

I use spotify exclusively through the web player, and I've developed an issue where it absolutely refuses to Start Playlist Radio.  Whenever I try, I instantly get a "This content is not available." warning on a blue banner above the controls.  Notably, I can start both song and artist radios, just not playlist radios from my lists.

The problem is new; when I began using spotify some months ago, the feature usually worked.  In the last several weeks, I have occasionally received the error but multiple back-to-back attempts usually worked.  If all else fails, closing and reopening the browser worked.  However, it's now to the point that trying over and over and the browser close/open does not.

I have tried logging out of Spotify on both PCs used to access the web player and logged back in to no effect.  I've also tried clearing the browser cache and all associated logins and data as well, and still nothing.  Any ideas?  The ability to create custom radio stations to list to during work was basically the only reason I'm using Spotify, and if this feature is no longer working and I'm stuck manually creating large playlists, I may just ditch it entirely and go back to conventional radio stations.

23 Replies

Update:  I may have found some of the problem.  When I create a new playlist with two artists/tracks from the old one, I can generate a playlist radio.  When I get up to four different artists/songs, it will no longer launch playlist radio.

For the record, I used to be able to start radio from lists of 20-30 artists.

Hey @ryenseven,

Thanks for the post!

Could you try disabling any ad blocker/ pop-up blocker and try creating a playlist radio?

It's also worth trying incognito window, another browser and another network.

Let us know how you get on.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I am having the same exact issue with the web player.  My only difference is I have a premium account.  Any update on this?  Starting from icognito doesn't change the issue.  I can start playlist radio with no issues from the mobile version.  I've also cleared my browser cache to no avail.

I am having this exact same issue. Only use Spotify through the web browser, had no issues about a week ago or so. Now, won't launch any Playlist Radio, no matter what I do.

Tried the steps above, using Chrome, no go. Still says "this content is not available". I do not have my own playlist, just clicking on the ones already created (Rock Anthems, Top Songs, etc.). It'll play the songs that are under these categories fine, but will not start the "radio" option at all.

Hey @firefox117

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Would you mind trying from an incognito window and a different browser?

On another note, in case you're using a VPN, we'd suggest you turn it off to check if anything changes.

It's also a good idea to double-check that the firewall isn't blocking Spotify.

Keep us posted.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I have tried it in the incognito tab, got the same error message.

Tried it through IE and Edge as well, and same message through those browsers also.

Chrome, IE and Edge are allowed through my firewall. Don't see any specific program on the PC, as it plays through the web browser. Sites have been added, through internet options, to be allowed popups and all other access, just in case. Still pops up with the same message.

Hi there @firefox117

Thanks for getting back to us.

Just to confirm, is this only happening in the web player or in the desktop app as well?

Additionally, would you mind checking if the issue persists while using a different internet connection?

We'll be on the lookout. 

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

My apologies for not responding sooner.  I have tried in Firefox (Windows 10) with and without all extensions enabled, Chromium (on the Raspberry Pi) with and without extensions, Chrome (Windows 10, no extensions or add-ons) and Edge (no extensions or add-ons).  I have the same results on all systems and browsers, with or without extensions or Incognito/Private browsing.  I even tried hotspotting the connection off my phone bypassing the local router and modem with the same result.  The playlist radio feature will not function on any of these devices with more than 1 or 2 artists/songs in the playlist.

The desktop APP, however, will generate a playlist on the first try.  I installed it just for this purpose.  Unfortunately, the reason I resorted to using Spotify via my RPi is because I cannot install the desktop app or access the webplayer on my work PC which operates on a VPN.  The RPi has been a great low power solution, but something has broken in the web interface recently.

In summary:  There is a reproducible problem in the web player not present in other versions.

I don't use the desktop app, this is purely through the website, nor am I'm using VPN.

I have tried it at work, where it use to work as well, didn't work there. Tried it on 4 different computers at my house, get the same error message, and tried it at my buddies house, same. Just says "content not available"

I'd imagine something was changed on Spotifys side to cause this, as it works fine through the app on my phone, but won't work at all on the website, where is listen to music from 95% of the time.

Hi again folks! 

Thanks for getting back to us and for the info you shared 🙂 

We tried this on our end and we could replicate it.

In this case, could you let us know the exact make/model, operating system of your PC and which browser and version are you using?

We'll be waiting for your reply.

EniModerator

Glad you're having the same problem, I suppose. Least that means it's not local.

Windows 10, x64, updated to the latest version (19042.985), Chrome, version 91.0.4472.77. Everything is updated on my side.

Hi @firefox117

Thanks for sending us this info. 

The right team at Spotify has been informed of this issue and they're currently investigating why it's happening.

If you need help with anything else, just let us know.

Cheers!

EniModerator

Thanks for the update.

In my case, Windows 10 x64 10.0.19042, Firefox 89.0 64-bit.

Raspberry Pi is running Raspbian with Chromium Media Edition for the browser -  Version 86.0.4240.197 (Official Build) Built on Raspbian , running on Raspbian 10 (32-bit)

Hey @ryenseven,

Thanks for the post.

We've passed your info on to the folks, who're investigating this 🙂

Cheers!

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Same thing here, playlist with more than 4 artists/songs, if you start the playlist radio you get "content is not available" error.

Any fix for this?

Hey there @mynister,

Thanks for reaching out.

As mentioned above on this thread, the right teams are currently looking into this. We can't commit to a timeframe for when this will be fixed, but we hope to have it sorted out soon.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

I was getting the error as well: " This content is not available".  I disconnected from  the VPN that I was on.  Everything is working fine now. 

Hey @Jefehav

Thanks for sharing what solved the issue for you. Other members facing this issue will find it helpful 🙂

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

EniModerator

Suggested posts