Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Unfollowed Podcasts Won’t Leave ‘New Episodes’ Section

Unfollowed Podcasts Won’t Leave ‘New Episodes’ Section

Plan

Premium (family)

Country

Australia

Device

iPhone SE

Operating System

iOS 14.6

My Question or Issue

hi, i have had a problem with the new episodes section of my spotify account. there’s a podcast i listened to a few episodes of and the unfollowed, but it still appears in my new episodes section. i’ve tried marking all the episodes i listened to as unplayed, refollowing and unfollowing, deleting and reinstalling the app, but none of this has stopped the podcast from appearing in the new episodes section. does anyone know if there’s a way to fix this? it’s very annoying since this podcast is much more active than any other i listen to and it often ends up taking too much space in the new episode section. 

41 Replies

Same issue here. Tried all the approaches. 
If not resolved as I read further up the thread will just move to a different platform if cannot be solved. 
The other platforms don't have this issue and feel like setting/options to control this are far too black box ... 

I am having the same issue too. I unfollowed a podcast that I have absolutely no interests in listening to again and its still showing up on my homepage. Please help!

This is still an ongoing issue! Tried everything in the refered arcticle. Cleared cache, deleted and re-installed the app. tried every single solution that's suggested online for every single device I am connected to Spotify. The stupid podcast that I listened just once still keeps appearing on my home page and on my shows page. I unfollowed the **bleep** thing 1000 times, marked the one episode that I listened to as unplayed.. no resolution.

This is beyond annoying! All the money you spend to make the platform a go-to for podcasts, yet you are unable to resolve a very simple issue. It's really mind-boggling!

This is still an ongoing issue! Tried everything in the refered arcticle. Cleared cache, deleted and re-installed the app. tried every single solution that's suggested online for every single device I am connected to Spotify. The stupid podcast that I listened just once still keeps appearing on my home page and on my shows page. I unfollowed the **bleep** thing 1000 times, marked the one episode that I listened to as unplayed.. No resolution!

This is beyond annoying! All the money you spend to make the platform a go-to for podcasts, yet you are unable to resolve a very simple issue. It's really mind-boggling!

Hi gi_coral, yeah, do not bother with clearing cache or reinstalling the app. Or quitting the desktop browser clearing its cookies etc. If the developers had spent the fraction of the amount of time we did, this would have been fixed.

They do not care. As long as you pay the money, they do not care whether or not the app or the web player is useful. There are bugs and basic functionality problems that are years old and they made them vote! Even though very basic functionality needs to be there in the first place, we vote. And guess what. They obviously reach enough votes but since 2019, nothing. Absolutely nothing's gets done or fixed. I myself cancelled my premium membership. Because if you wait for these to get fixed, you'll wait in vain.

Same issue here! Please prioritize and deploy.

I'd also like to point out that these podcast - the ones that I’m no longer following- still still being added to the queue. This is more than a visual annoyance, if degrades the overall user experience.

Hey, Spotify, fix this. It’s been well over a year since it was initially reported and I’m a paying customer that expects things to work as expected. This is a bug, not a feature.

Guess what, the same problem is still there, just keep this post alive as long as this is a problem, just to show that spotify really do their best to solve this problem.

I can understand why they dont, my guess is that every time your app is on autoplay, the podcast start playing, maybe its a bad time to change, and you have to hear some minutes, and kaboom, the podcast has been listned to one more time, one more dude that is happy with its ratings..

Really just sad to see that spotify dont care much about fixing issues...

TLDR: spotify is still ignoring this issue...

Spotify does not care about this issue or any other issue/bug per se. They call problems and bugs with veneering approach, home screen customization for example. Or recommendation. This is about neither, certainly not a recommendation because it is forceful. I think Spotify is the worst tech out there.

I unfollowed some podcasts but they are still displayed on my home screen. There are about four I don’t follow and four that I do follow. I’d like to only see updates from podcast I follow. I also recently came back to Spotify after a long absence and my tastes have changed. Spotify automatically plays podcasts. I am no longer interested in after podcasts I have selected to play. I’d like to change this.

Guess it was more important to merge the topic than to fix an error(that
apparently isnt an error)

Please fix this unbelivable annoyng error, that makes fake listening

Ha!

Still an issue.  This is a gentle reminder that the App is meeting Spotify's needs and not the users. 

I need a 'remove from history' or 'unfollow' or 'block' option, all of which have already been invented.  Why aren't they available?

Please fix.

please fix this it’s so annoying 

I've had this issue for nearly a year and just found this thread, I want to add that the the podcast still shows up in the "Your shows section" 

g10s1_0-1710353363460.png

g10s1_1-1710353382198.png

Still not fixed 20/03/2024... 

So poor Spotify 

Please please please fix this - it's so frustrating!!

I still think fake numbers, drive up revenue, is the reason for this... And
the way spotify avoids the topic, shows that this isnt something they
really want to fix, they want it this way. Anoying enough for people to be
frustrated, but not enough for many to quit using spotify...

Profit first should be spotifys slogan going forward...

Hello @johannesgj, yes, this is exactly the method Spotify works. There are so many basic functionality bugs and annoying things that a junior/senior college student would not make for a computer science class project. But Spotify makes these stupid mistakes and does not care at all. Moderators also fiasco; they frequently miss the point of the bugs and functionality problems. Here, they thought that, many times, the problem is the customization of the home screen. Of course, an average intelligent person would think that the recommendation of a podcast that you stopped following is not a recommendation (algorithm) but a forcing one, if not outright buggy one. Or at least it is an insult to our judgment and/or decision to want to stop listening/following that podcast and not wanting to see it. And, certainly has nothing to do with the customization of the home screen. It's like I am dumping trash in your doorstep and when you complain about it, I am telling you "oh, so you want to customize your doorstep".

There are so many small and annoying things in the Spotify. I am just waiting for another platform to catch up and carry my lists to there. Then I'll be leaving their premium/free plans.

Checkout these other phenomenal/so basic mistakes that Spotify team manages to make:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Podcasts-Partners-etc/Unplayed-vs-Not-Started-Podcasts/m-p/59...

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/quot-Add-to-Your-Episodes-quot-does-not-do-anything/m-p/599...

Suggested posts