Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unliking an old song version also unlikes the re-uploaded version of the song.

Unliking an old song version also unlikes the re-uploaded version of the song.

Plan: Premium

Operating System: Windows & MacOs (at least)

My Issue

Introduction

It is an common and old issue, that when an user likes a song, and this song gets re-uploaded, the old version remains liked in our library and the new version is simply not liked. (it does not replace the older version)

Following this behaviour, it would be expected from those two versions to be independent.

Core of the problem

When two different versions of the same song are liked, i.e. an old version of a song and the re-uploaded version, when the old version of the song is unliked by the user, the liked re-uploaded version is also automatically unliked.

(A demonstration of the issue is given in the attached video)

Expected fixes

• Either the re-uploaded version should not be automatically unliked;
  • Either the older version should automatically be replaced by the new one, as soon as a new version gets uploaded.

Thank you for reading this issue, and I hope it will get fixed.

before.png
after.png
5 Replies

@ja_-44n2vj7f,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for reaching out. 

The issue might be coming from the fact that you were able to add the same song to a playlist at one point without getting the duplicate notification. However, there's no pattern as to how it happens and because of this, it always gets fixed by itself.

This is why we suggest you always make sure to keep your app updated so you don't miss any fixes or new features. 

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

MafeGModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

"The issue might be coming from the fact that you were able to add the same song to a playlist at one point without getting the duplicate notification."

This issue does not concern adding the same songs multiple times to a single playlist.
It concerns having multiple instances of the same song in the "Liked Songs" system.

(I do not need an answer, I am only signalling an annoying bug. But if Spotify's application's code is a spaghetti mess and it is unfixable, never mind then 🐙)

Hey @ja_-44n2vj7f,

Thanks for your rapid response.

We do appreciate your well-structured info and the effort to signal a potential issue with us. We’ll be sure to pass your info and let the right folks know, as soon as we're able to fully replicate this situation. For that we'd need a little bit more input from your side if possible 🙂

Could you also mention the exact version numbers of the Spotify client app where this behavior is being observed. Also, if you could send us the precise URIs (the share links) of the songs seen in the examples, so we can take a closer look and better reproduce the situation.

Keep us posted, we'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Kiril Moderator

I have lost the link to the exact songs from my previous example, but the same behaviour can be replicated using for e.g. the song "Chamber of Reflection" by "Mac DeMarco" :

Old version URI : "https://open.spotify.com/track/1MJ5f5EYBC92ADD6xcz7nb?si=d04dc9d463d94dcc"
New version URI : "https://open.spotify.com/track/7H7NyZ3G075GqPx2evsfeb?si=2c79ae945aa341f1"

A) In order to replicate the behaviour (in order) :
1) Like the OLD version of the song
2) Like the NEW version of the song
3) Unlike the OLD version
Result: Both the OLD and NEW versions are unliked.

B) Other possibility :
1) Like the NEW version (old version will be automatically liked)
2) Unlike the OLD version
Result: Both the OLD and NEW versions are unliked.

Interesting behaviour:
- If step 1) and 2) of A) are applied: when only the new version is unliked, the old version remains liked.
- If step 1) of B) is applied: when only the new version is unliked, the old version is unliked as well.

Tested on:
Spotify for macOS (Intel)
1.1.74.631.g0b24d9ad

Also tested on:
Android 10: Spotify Version: 8.6.88.1104

Hey @ja_-44n2vj7f,

Thanks for the info you've provided.

We've passed this on to the right teams handling content at Spotify 🙂

We don't have official info when exactly this will be taken care of.

Take care!

AlexModerator

Suggested posts