can't enable local files

can't enable local files

Plan Premium

Country USA

Device - MacBook Pro & iPhone 11

Operating System

iOS 10

My Question or Issue

I was hoping to add local files to Spotify, and hadn't done it before. I had looked up how to do it a few months ago, and the location of it seems to have changed. I've looked at a bunch of forums that say I have to enable local files on my desktop by going to settings and then scrolling down to "local files" and enabling. However, "local files" doesn't even show up under my Spotify settings or advanced settings. Any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 9.27.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 9.28.00 AM.png
2 Replies

Hey @mahalan115,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Would you mind sharing a screenshot of your Settings on Desktop? 

In the meantime, to confirm whether this is just a temporary hiccup, it'd be great for you to do a clean reinstall of the app and then check your settings again. All the steps for doing the clean reinstall on Desktop are here.

We also have a dedicated post to answer all the questions regarding local files. Check it out here.

Hope you'll find this useful. Keep us posted!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

@mahalan115

Here are the simple steps to bring back Local Files:

1. Close Spotify

2. Go to C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Spotify (if you install Spotify by .exe file) or C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Packages\SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_zpdnekdrzrea0\LocalState\Spotify (if you install Spotify from Microsoft Store)

3. Find and open the file called "pref" by Notepad or Notepad++

4. Add the following line ui.experience_override="classic" to Line 4

5. Save file then make it read-only.

local files.png

Suggested posts