Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

App Needs Work

App Needs Work

I've been using the free desktop version of Spotify for quite some time now, and I finally signed up for a Premium account when I saw that the iOS app had been updated to support 320kbps streaming and syncing.  Unfortunately, I've been pretty disappointed by what I discovered.  When I first loaded the app onto my phone, it crashed immediately and continuously right after I signed in to my account.  I finally figured out that the app seemed to have a problem with the large number of albums that I'd starred in the Spotify desktop version.  Once I unstarred all of the albums I'd ever starred in Spotify, and restarted the app, it finally stopped crashng.  However, I soon discovered the other faults associated with the Spotify app.  1) As previously observed, the app reverts from Extreme audio quality (320kbps) to High audio quality (160kbps) syncing every time the app is restarted.  While you can get around this issue by always resetting the audio quality sync setting to Extreme before ever syncing any new music, this is clearly a defect in this app.  2)  If you shut down the app in the middle of a playlist or album, and then restart the app, it immediately starts playing that album.  This is problematic if you are someplace that you don't want music suddenly shooting out of your iPhone’s built-in speaker.  3)  Personally, I don’t like being forced to put music into playlists in order to sync the music to my phone for offline use.  While you can simply star albums in the desktop version, and then choose to sync your starred list, this merely creates one huge playlist without any logical order (plus, as initially observed, watch out for the number of albums you star in the desktop version if you don’t want to render this app completely unusable.  4)  Finally, I discovered that the app randomly crashes during playback for no apparent reason.  While I take issue with several other aspects of the app, these are the main problems I’ve identified.  Considering that most people listen to music away from their computers, it is essential that Spotify provide its customs with a mobile platform that lives up to its desktop version.  Unfortunately, Spotify has failed to deliver with its iOS app, and it hardly seems paying ten dollars a month for the premium version of Spotify.

3 Replies

This is exactly what I just came on here to post. Re: #3, I don't understand why we should organize things into "playlists" at all - I realize that's what all the cool kids do with their favorite $0.99 tracks, but I just want to listen to an album sometimes, and I'm not going to make a playlist out of every album I've starred.

I've experienced all of the same issues and cancelled my account. If you are in America, mog is a far superior mobile app, despite not being able to sync your iTunes library. So mog and iTunes on an iPhone kind of gives me what I'm looking for.

I concur with everything sleepypowell said. I'm finding Number 2

@sleepypowell wrote:

If you shut down the app in the middle of a playlist or album, and then restart the app, it immediately starts playing that album.  This is problematic if you are someplace that you don't want music suddenly shooting out of your iPhone’s built-in speaker.

especially annoying. Everytime I'm starting the app, it starts blasting from the middle of a song.

Suggested posts