Premium

Country

United States

Device

iPhone 11

Operating System

iOS 13.6

My Question or Issue

The Spotify app crashes and stops playing music any time I lock my phone or have it running in the background. I’ve tried: logging out, unlinking, updating my phone, uninstalling/reinstalling the app and restarting my phone and the problem persisted.

9 Replies

Hi @mareyah!

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community.

I suggest you to try with a clean reinstall of the app following these steps.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

https://open.spotify.com/follow/1/?uri=spotify:user:1gdr7ny1wk8oegnhcd6cn9jc1&size=detail&theme=ligh...

I am running into this same issue. I have done a clean reinstall and it still happens

Hey @Surfsasser,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here.

Issues like the app crashing/ stopping are usually related either to some of the app files getting damaged or battery/cache restrictions. Since you've already done a clean reinstall, there shouldn't be any corrupted files left over from previous installations. We recommend that you make sure that Spotify has all permissions enabled and is excluded from any battery or memory optimization apps you might have active.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.  

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi 

I have the same problem and I did a clean reinstall. In addition, I logged out of all other devices and now I have Spotify running only on my iPhone. Spotify has all the permissions and my phone is not running on low power mode. Besides, I turned on the background app refresh. The version of Spotify I'm using is 8.5.93.494 installed on iPhone7 version 14.3.

Thanks in advance,

Al

Hey @Al-Kian,

Thanks for reaching out.

We're sorry to hear you're also experiencing similar issues and appreciate the troubleshooting you've done so far.

Could you let us know if this happens with the app both in offline and online mode? You can learn how to toggle this setting here.

If you could borrow a friend or family members account and see of the issue comes up there as well, that would help the troubleshooting a lot.

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Mihail Moderator

Hi Mihail,
Thanks for your prompt reply.
When I listen to podcasts in offline mode, there is no interruption.
I'm wondering whether this is a problem with my internet connection? This interruption happens both when I use Wi-Fi and mobile data.

Hey @Al-Kian,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Just to make sure that we're on the same page - by interruptions do you mean that the app crashes when your iPhone get's locked? The more details we have about your issue, the quicker we can get to the bottom of this. For instance when did this start happening - after a specific event like an update or installing an app or random? Also did you try restarting your phone? This is an often overlooked step that is very effective.

Do you experience any interruptions with other apps that require an active internet connection? If you could borrow a friend or family members account and see if the behavior comes up there as well, that would also help us locate the root cause.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Mihail Moderator

"by interruptions do you mean that the app crashes when your iPhone get's locked? "
Yes.

"when did this start happening - after a specific event like an update or installing an app or random?"
I cannot really say when it started to happen since stopped using Spotify because of this problem but it can be related to IOS update.

" Also did you try restarting your phone? "
Yes. I did the clear reinstall as well.

"Do you experience any interruptions with other apps that require an active internet connection?"
That's only with Spotify.

I hope it helps you

Hey @Al-Kian,

Thanks for getting back to us

Can you let us know if while you're using the Spotify app you've noticed any unusual battery draining? If so, you can add your vote and subscribe to this thread.

Keep in mind that if you don't observe this behavior when logged in to another account, you can create a new one here and transfer the whole of your music collection.

If other accounts also crash on your iPhone, it would indicate that the cause is device related. As you mention, it's possible that an iOS update damages files and leads to issues like the one you're describing. In that case we recommend that you factory reset your phone. You can follow the official Apple guide

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.  

Mihail Moderator

Suggested posts