Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

“Appears On” feature gone

Solved!

“Appears On” feature gone

Can someone explain what is happening? I’m a growing artist and I have a featured artist on a song, but it’s not getting a lot of plays because the “appears on” feature is wiped! I’m sure this is disabling listeners and artists. Spotify please bring this back. This is insane!!

180 Replies

I can’t believe Spotify has delivered such a blow to artists in this way! Removing this feature is absolutely asinine! This hurts both growing artists using spotify, and just the average Spotify user listening to music. 

Most of the songs I’m on as an artist are features, so you have basically made Spotify irrelevant to me, both as an artist and as a listener. You are already **bleep** over featured artists by not allowing those songs to show up in their most popular songs list, and now you have effed us again!!!.  

Besides really hurting growing artists, as a listener, this feature helped me find songs Artists I like are featured on, and taking that away is extremely stupid!!

I will cancel my subscription, and not use it anymore to promote myself as an artist!! 

There is so much absurdity involved in this.  I kind of understand the removal of the feature, if they have UX data that shows that not enough people use it.  As a person in software development, I can see this feature adding a large load (client/server resources and development).  However, it's unfortunate that an improvement to universal load time has outweighed utility for many users in this case: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Browse-Bring-back-Appears-On-section/idc-p...

Either way, it's still absurd that the initial Spotify response on this forum was that they are looking into why it disappeared.  Then approximately a month later telling everyone "Just kidding, we're not looking into it, we actually removed it on purpose".

• How was this not communicated to the community?
  • How was this not communicated to the support team?
  • How did it take a month for the support team to respond to the community?
  • How is "Just kidding, we're not looking into it, we actually removed it on purpose" an acceptable response?

@chplusink wrote:

There is so much absurdity involved in this.  I kind of understand the removal of the feature, if they have UX data that shows that not enough people use it.  As a person in software development, I can see this feature adding a large load (client/server resources and development).  However, it's unfortunate that universal load time has outweighed utility for many users in this case: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Browse-Bring-back-Appears-On-section/idc-p...

Good post. I would like to point out, however, that it is only due to Spotify's mediocre engineering that "Appears On" is a technical challenge. This information, like much of the information in Spotify, is not changing very often. They can precompute the "Appears On" page for every artist and then background fetch a static file. These static files could be updated every day or every week using an automated script. This script would also push the static files to a CDN, so access latency is low across (most of) the world. This is not rocket science.

As of today, the “Appears On” section has returned for me!

with that being said though, it’s no longer sorted by the most recent release they’ve appeared on, so there’s still a ways to go before it’s back to what it once was.

that being said though, we’ve made some progress!

CD93077E-6E25-4D2A-B429-EFB024C24AC5.png

Doesn't it look like its sorted by release date? 

I am glad it's back - which keeps me as a subscriber. In several ways Spotify is better than all the others: more songs, better search engine/metadata, and, at least on the desktop player, the ability to shuffle-play within playlist folders.

The Appears On section is definitely back, but the sorting is very very weird. No idea what it's being sorted by. Here is a quick screenshot of Tove Lo's Appears On section, note the release years, all over the place.

precurser_0-1594664037497.png

"Appears On" is back again!!!   Thanks Spotify for getting this right!

YAY! "Appears on" section is back for me on iOS and desktop. For now at least. iOS is limited to displaying 24 releases under this section. It would be nice to expand this section in the iOS app so we can see all of them and not just 24.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

The "Appears On" section seems to be back for me in desktop version 1.1.37.690.g8f3b16fc, so just wanted to say thank you for fixing this! This indeed keeps me as a subscriber.

Hi Peter,

The "Appears On" feature has apparently come back for some people.

I really liked that feature, which separated Spotify from other services I am familiar with. It linked me to other artists I like, and showed compilation albums not seen with other services. It was unique and very cool. 

I am hoping it will return for me soon also.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Appears on has returned for me!

I deleted my Spotify and reinstalled, and there is was.

Thanks Spotify for this awesome feature!

This has NOTHING to do with you deleting your spotify and reinstalling.  Spotify actually LISTENED to their customers and brought "ARTIST APPEARS ON" back.  Yes, miracles do happen...

I was just saying that I had to reinstall to see it, which is not a problem at all.
I'm glad they listened also.
If people can't see it yet all they have to do is reinstall was my point.

I can see where Appears On is a difficult feature to manage. For example, the compilations have multiple artists and many labels are pretty obscure. So for a compilation, I suppose all the artists must sign on to Spotify for it to be listed? This would be difficult if some bands no longer exist or the record label has folded. I admire Spotify for managing this feature and making these compilations available. I remember many years ago looking through them at music stores and finding artists I could not have encountered any other way. I miss those times...

The same issue is happening for my artist profile only. The Appears On feature for my artist shows up on desktop but on the iOS app it doesn’t show. How can this be resolved? Would really appreciate the help.

iOS 14.6 and Spotify v8.6.46

Cheers!

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your posts and feedback.

It would be great if you can provide us screenshot from your profile (one from mobile and one from desktop) so that we can have a closer look directly from your end.

We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

The feature on my new release don't appear on my profile 

Dear Spotify, my release does not appear on the profile of the featured artist. How can we solve this? 

The link of our release: https://open.spotify.com/track/26OtuyLtxnNEJV59nKWPmD?si=83f5b8c6128d4c79

The link to the featured artist: https://open.spotify.com/artist/54qQKq2qz4v2INp6TThBZO?si=wsEqlXk5Rpi_0_GFPNq8aw

Shows up in mobile browser but doesn't show up in spotify app 

Ios app iphone 8.8.75.709 version

ipad ios version 8.8.66.570

IMG_0421.png
IMG_048CECA66F78-1.jpg

Suggested posts