Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Apple Watch app not showing music

Solved!

Apple Watch app not showing music

Student Premium, USA

iPhone 7/Apple Watch Series 3

iOS 12.1.4/watchOS 5.0.1

I recently got a replacement iPhone 7 and loaded a backup of my old device onto it. When I played music on my old iPhone (also a 7), the watch app would automatically open and show me what is playing, with the ability to change the volume, skip the song, etc. After I setup my new phone with the backup from the old one, the watch app does automatically open when I play music, but it is essentially a blank screen. Where the song title is displayed, it says "Spotify" and the artist is "peteroleum2's Apple Watch," and none of the other screens have any function.

I'm just wondering if this is a function of the new phone/watch not recognizing each other or something like that, or if it's software related and if it's as simple as deleting and reinstalling an app. Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Update: disconnected watch from phone and reset it up off of backup, now works perfectly.

View solution in original post

24 Replies

Hey @peteroleum2,

Thanks for reaching out. This may be happening because of your replacement iPhone 7 and the connectivity between the watch. Can you confirm they're connected to each other via the Apple Watch app?

Cheers,

Arda.

I can confirm that they are connected, yes. Other apps and functions work, just not Spotify.

Marked as solution

Update: disconnected watch from phone and reset it up off of backup, now works perfectly.

I am having the same problem with my Apple Watch 5.  I have installed the software update, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, turned off my phone while trying to operate it - I cannot get Spotify to play a song.  My playlists will show up, but when I click on a song, the play screen just says "Spotify / Rachel's Apple Watch" and no song appears.

music and playlists are not loading on my apple watch. I have tried to log out of all devices and reinstalled the app on my iPhone 11 pro and restarted my apple watch 5 and still, this does not fix it. see attached photo, it's just stuck on loading. the music and playlists play fine on my phone and desktop though. It's just on my watch that nothing works.

please help!

thanks

Michelle

192CC4733-F671-4D2E-958C-B3A90812C482.jpg

Hey there @michellegt,

Thank you for your post in this thread. We're happy to help.

Can you confirm if you followed the troubleshooting steps that been provided in this thread?

We also suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app to make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If that doesn't do the trick - can you let us know which version of the app you have?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi!

I tried following the steps in your link twice now. I have removed and reinstalled on both my mac and my iPhone 11 pro but that still has not resolved the problem of the playlists not loading.

The spotify version on my mac is 1.1.47.684.g136419d9 and on my phone is 8.5.86.739

To be clear, the music/playlists are loading on my mac and on my iPhone 11 pro, its just not loading on my apple watch 5.

Please help!

Thanks

Michelle

Hi there @michellegt,

You can try unpairing your apple watch from your phone and restoring it to factory settings. This can sometimes help with such issues.

Note that all user settings will be reset to default after this is done.

You can follow this official guide from Apple on how to do the factory reset.

After that try reinstalling the Spotify app and connecting your accounts again.

Let us know how it goes.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Alex

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't really want to restore my phone to factory settings as that will remove all other settings for everything else set up on my phone currently. 

Is this really my only option? 

I have to say I'm quite disappointed that its been so problematic with Spotify but I appreciate you guys helping out. 

Thanks anyway

Michelle

Hey @michellegt,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We understand how a factory reset of your phone can cause some frustration and would like to exhaust all other troubleshooting options first.

We meant that you should first give it a go with a factory reset only of the watch. You can find the necessary steps in the official Apple guide that @Alex posted in the section How to erase your Apple Watch if you don't have your iPhone After that you can perform  a clean reinstall of the app on your Phone and pair both devices again. 

Keep us posted how thing work out 🙂

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I am also having the same issue as Michelle, and I have tried a full factory reset.  Additionally, I only purchased the watch earlier today, so it has never worked correctly for me.  
Thanks,

Hey there @aleclwilliams,

Thanks for posting on this thread. We're happy to help!

Just to confirm, after factory resetting your Apple Watch's settings, did you make sure to run a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your phone? You just need to follow these steps. Then, pair your watch and phone again and let us know if there's any difference.

If the issue persists, could you try using a different connection, like another WiFi network or mobile data?

Also, make sure that both your phone and watch are running the latest software version.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

Hello, I have tried everything and the problem is still persisting with the app. Please help, I really like spotify and I do not want to switch music service for something like this.

Hey @m9f7f2yx1e4tm4br5vkq,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

Can you list all the specific troubleshooting steps you've already tried so far? This is so we don't repeat ourselves and know where to start.

Additionally, let us know exactly what's happening on your end so we can have a better understanding of what the issue might be.

We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

I have the same issue. Even bought a new Apple Watch hoping it would solve the issue, but it didn’t. Reinstalled the Spotify app. Unpaired and repaired. Nothing changed. Quite disappointing, I want to use the app while running without my phone bit I cannot because the basic functionality is not working.

Hi there @VinceAT

Thanks for reaching out about this.

You mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app on your phone, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall, as it's more thorough than a normal one?

If this doesn't do the trick, could you try again using a different internet connection to check if that makes the difference? 

Lastly, we suggest that you check if the OS of your phone and your watch are up to date.

Keep us posted.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Tried everything else in this thread but after unpairing and setting up my watch it works fine. Thanks.

I’ve tried everything, but it won’t work. Watch will not load any music :(. Very disappointing. 

Hi there @H02741,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Can you let us know which version of the app you're having?

It would also be great if you can let us know which version of the watch you're having?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts