Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[AppleTV] No sound on Apple TV when streaming to other devices over AirPlay2

[AppleTV] No sound on Apple TV when streaming to other devices over AirPlay2

Hey folks,

We're seeing reports that using AirPlay to stream Spotify from an Apple TV to other AirPlay 2-enabled devices stops the sound on the source Apple TV. 

The relevant team is aware of this and they are currently looking into it. 

If you're experiencing this, we'd first recommend making sure your TV has been added to the room as described here.

If the issue persists, let us know by adding your +VOTE and follow the instructions in the Status Update below.

We'll be keeping everyone up to speed here, so make sure to subscribe to this thread!

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!
47 Replies

Plan

Free

Country

UK

Device

Apple TV 4K (2019)

Operating System

tvOS 14.5 (18L204)

My Question or Issue

Hi Spotify

I have 4 Apple TVs in 4 different rooms. All updated and the Spotify app reinstalled.

Spotify Apple TV Version: 1.23.17

Apple TV OS Version: tvOS 14.5 (18L204)

Streaming Spotify over AirPlay2 from any one of the 4 Apple TVs to any of the other 3 stops the sound on the source Apple TV. I.e. The speakers connected via HDMI to the the source AppleTV.  The sound only comes out of the other target TVs. The number of the target TVs doesn't matter 1,2 or 3. In each case the sound only comes out on the target TVs and there's no sound on the source TV. It also doesn't matter which of the 4 TVs I use as the source. The situation is 100% reproducible with any of them.

AirPlaying from any of the 4 Apple TVs to any of the other 3 works with any other app (Netflix, Disney+, BBC, etc...).

Please could you look into this and fix it?

It's clearly been a problem for months now. See original issue here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Apple-TV-TvOS-14-Multiple-Audio-Output-not-working/i...

And a 2nd thread that bumped it up again here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/Apple-TV-TVOS-14-Multiple-Audio-Output-Not-Working/...

Please Spotify acknowledge this issue and fix it.

Regards,

Eric

Hey all,

Thanks for reporting this issue to us!

We'll be passing on your info to our developers, so they can investigate this further. If you haven't already, please leave a comment with the following details:

• Model and OS version of your Apple TV
  • Spotify Apple TV Version
  • Exact make and model of the device(s) you are trying to stream to

Cheers! We’ll keep you posted and let you know as soon as we have any updates on this. 

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have the same issue.

Spotify version 1.23.17

Apple TV 4K tvOS 14.5

No sound on HDMI while airplayning to other spekers (AirPort Express, year unknown, have four in my setup) from Apple TV. 

AirPort Express 802.11n (2nd Generation) version 7.8.1

The setup works perfekt with all other apps except Spotify .

Hi Spotify,

Just to confirm. The issue is not specific to AirPort Express, but (likely) any potential streaming device, be that another Apple TV (as in my case) or an AirPort Express (as reported by @PehrJ). I appreciate that AirPort Express is no longer supported by Spotify, but please don't close the issue as a result of that as the problem is not directly or solely related to AirPort Express.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Eric

I tried the following setup and there is no audio from the tv speakers when Airplaying:

Spotify version (latest)

Apple TV 4K tvOS 14.5

Airplaying to

Apple TV 4th gen tvOS 14.5

Having the same issue when trying to play music on my Apple TV & HomePod mini

Same issue, very annoying

Apple TV 4K on tvos 14.5

Spotify App 1.23.17

Sonos One

Hi Spotify,

Any update on this? Can you confirm that you've managed to reproduce the issue?

Thanks.

Regards,

Eric

Hi @Xenia,

Just to add: having the same issue with my AppleTV & HomePod. When I locate the AppleTV & HomePod in the same room from the home app I have the issue as well. When I place the HomePod in a different room in the Home app, music will be playing from both devices, but out of sync.

so my guess here is that it all comes down to the missing Airplay2 support in Spotify.

Hi Spotify,

It's been another week and you didn't reply to the previous message from the 13th of May. I'm following up again to ask if you've managed to reproduce the issue and could give some idea of when you expect it to be fixed.

Thanks.

Regards,

Eric

@Eric83 

They have known about the issue since 2020-07-09…. Just sayin…

@PehrJ (cc @Xenia

Appreciate what you're saying, however, I think it's reasonable to expect to be provided with updates in a timely manner. Ignoring users for weeks, let alone months is simply unacceptable. At best it makes Spotify look unprofessional and at worst incompetent and uncaring. I doubt Spotify would like to be perceived as either.  

I work in the media business for a large UK publisher and this sort of customer support makes for very bad publicity, which I'm sure IR would not be happy with. However, despite your comment, and the impression that I too share, that the issue has been ongoing for months now, I'm giving Spotify the benefit of the doubt and following up regularly in the hope that they would:

A) Admit the existence of the problem. I note that multiple users have been able to reproduce it within hours/days and so it would seem reasonable that any qualified support/QA/developer should be able to also do so within days.

B) Provide and commit to a realistic timeframe for fixing the issue and one which is shorter than 6 months or a year and is hopefully within the weeks timeframe and not months or years.

C) Implement the fix and release it within a reasonable amount of time.

So far we haven't even passed the first bar, but even worse Spotify is simply refusing to provide updates in a timely manner. Let's see what happens, I'm hopeful that common sense will prevail.

Regards,

Eric

@Xenia ,

I just updated my Apple TV 4k to tvOS 14.6 and I am still experiencing the problem. Can you please update us on the progress?

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Spotify,

You haven't provided any update for 4 weeks now.

Is there any update on this?

Can you confirm that you've managed to reproduce the issue?

Regards,

Eric

Hi! No sound from the Apple TV itself (tv-speakers) when choosing other AirPlay 2 devices to stream to. 
No other apps on my Apple TV show this behaviour.  I stream to an AirPort Express and  two Symfonisk speakers (Sonos)

Apple TV (4:th gen)

tvOS: 14.5
Spotify: 1.23.17

Hi Spotify,

You haven't provided any update for over a month now.

Is there any update on this?

Can you confirm that you've managed to reproduce the issue?

Regards,

Eric

I have the same issue : the sound stops outputting to TV outputs (hdmi) when another Airplay speaker is selected like Ikea Symfonisk or Homepod mini. I canot reproduce this issue with any other tv apps. This is happening whether or not I'm using spotify connect from my phone or directly using the tv app.

Apple TV 4k : A2169

Apple TVOS : 14.6

Spotify TV : 2.143-1

Hi Spotify,

It's been 2 months and no update.

I think it's reasonable to expect to be provided with updates in a timely manner. Ignoring users for weeks, let alone months is simply unacceptable.

Can you please reply? How can this be escalated?

I've contacted Spotify Case # 24422687, can this please be addressed?

Regards,

Eric

One year has passed, time to celebrate!!! 🎈🎈🎈

One year has passed since this error was noticed and reported here on the forum.

A year of silence, a year of closed threads.

Suggested posts