Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can I use voice commands (through Siri) to control Spotify on my iPhone 6?

Solved!

Can I use voice commands (through Siri) to control Spotify on my iPhone 6?

Austin is about to make it illegal to use my phone at all while driving. I'd like to be able to use voice commands to control Spotify while driving. Can I do this? Or is there an app that will help me do this? Thanks.

41 Replies

Stop the spam

Spotify please integrate the Siri voice command in your app since now apple opened that to third party.

you will loose a tons of clients because every state in US is passing the driving law that doesn't allow to drive while using any device.

you should integrate that as soon as possible

found a very Rube Goldbergish and barely useful way to make Siri find and play music on Spotify, but it works

1. say something like “hey siri - search web for Spotify Steve Earle”

2. it pulls up web search results and the first should be a link to that search with a “open.spotify.com/...” url

3.  click that link to open the page

4. click open in Spotify app link at top of page when it loads

5.  now you’re in the app for what you searched.

6.  once you start playing something you can say “hey siri pause, play, next, etc”

same thing can be done for finding radio stations on tunein and iheart

Even with iOs11 Apple foolishly doesn't allow music integrations with Siri (no doubt to give their own music service an edge), there's literally nothing Spotify can do at this point.

Say "Previous Track" and it will go back. You may have to say it twice to get back depending on how far into the song you are. I think it's around 3 seconds.

previous track

How can I tell Siri to start playing something on Spotify when im not using Spotify?

Per my understanding of Spotify-Siri integration, it is not possible to
simply say “play (song) on Spotify”. That is an Apple Music feature, but
not a Spotify feature at this time. However, you CAN do the following:
- Open Spotify “Hey Siri, open Spotify”. Siri will say “you need to unlock
your iDevice first” if not unlocked.
You will need to select content to play, then you can:
- “skip”
- “last song” which you can say within 2 seconds or so of song starting or
you can do the process it twice quickly.
- “pause”
- “play”

It would be great to see further integration and maybe even an Apple Watch
app, but for now that’s all that’s available to us. Or you can use Apple
Music if you really want/need full control. I am testing it out right now,
and it is nice to talk to it and it just work.

I just downloaded the Melody app for iPhone. This did give me the ability to use voice search on Spotify from my iPhone. The steps I took were:

1. said "Open Melody" to Siri.

2. clicked the voice button in Melody app

3. said "play tiny dancer by Elton John"

This played the song. (Please note you must have Spotify premium for this to work).

Folks at Melody: is there a way to initiate a voice request without clicking the button on the app? It would be nice to be able to open the app and then it waits for a voice command without putting the mic icon. Perhaps this can be a switch in the settings.

Glad to know you found Melody useful. Yes, putting Melody into listening
mode as soon as it opens is technically possible, I'll discuss this
internally with our product/eng. team.

Any update on this? Would love to see this work.

Having the option to set Melody to open in listen mode (like Shazam, for example) would significantly improve its functionality. Like others, I’m aiming to be able to choose music to play while I’m driving without my hands leaving the steering wheel. If auto listen mode is available, we could use Siri to open the Melody app and then tell Melody what to play completely hands-free.

It's very frustrating that Apple Music has Siri integration but Spotify doesn't. I'm certain Apple is restricting this feature to gain marketshare for Apple Music, which is infuriating. I will be submitting a coment to Apple about this and I suggest you all do the same. 

Here's the link: https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Here's my comment:

Siri integration should be allowed with Spotify. It's crucial that you allow full hands-free control since most times I'm listening to music while driving. 

Definitely understand where you are coming from as far as adaptability and
market dominance goes...

Way I see it though, each company has a right to operate as they see fit.
If Apple has chosen to not allow Siri control in Spotify, that is their
prerogative because they are, after all, a for profit company. Frustrating
as it may be to not be able to control the platform of our choice, It comes
down to the fact that no one requires any of us to purchase and use the
technology and services we choose to.

Apple has taken huge strides to include as much as they can on their
platforms while still maintaining the competitive edge by incentivizing the
use of their services with their products.
Want to use the Siri to control your tunes? Apple Music is where it's at... which, aside
from being obnoxiously bright at night, is just as good and arguably better
once the switch has been made.

Actually Apple has a long history of restricting cross-platform compatibility with its hardware and software. It almost killed them in the 1990s; they were on the verge of bankruptcy in part because of their prohibitive licensing that was ultimately penny-wise and pound-foolish.

That being said, the discussion here has focused on workarounds to Apple's Siri restrictions, and the Melody app devs appear to believe that an option to open the app in listening mode may work. Discussing such possibilities is favorable, in my view, to simply saying that it's Apple's prerogative to limit its devices' functionality and we should just be quiet and use them as the company wants us to.

Fair enough. Key point is Apple made their own decisions. By all means, locating workarounds can be helpful. In my experience, they just seem to booger up the whole use, but that is an unfair broad generalization. It's the seamless integration that will be difficult to find, but options exist.

Play previous track works for me for using voice commands to control Spotify as well as the other voice commands for Siri mentioned, I have a iPhone 7 Plus and it only works if you say “play previous track” not solely “previous track” unlike the voice command to ask Siri to play the next song “next track” works without having to say “play” before requesting the next track to be played, not sure why but there you go haha

I just tried Melody and I can confirm that, while it picks up song titles and artist names incredibly well, sometimes it ends up playing something different and loosely related to the query. Just keep trying and it will eventually work as intended.

Suggested posts