Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Creating playlist for holiday event--1st time use?

Solved!

Creating playlist for holiday event--1st time use?

Object: Create a list of tunes ~3-4 hours time to be played 'unattented' at a nonprofit, holiday event.

I first downloaded the iOS app (iPad). Then downloaded the Windows desktop app for organizational flexibility. On the desktop I currently have a playlist, Christmas, of roughly the correct total time. I then downloaded all the tunes on the playlist. When I view the contents of the playlist there is a '+' to the left of each. I presume that I need to change the + to a check for the tune to 'actually be included/playable' with in the playlist?

When I next open Spotify on the iPad and login I'm again presuming that when I click open the Christmas playlist I'll again need to download the tunes? I'm thinking that I will not need to change +'s to checks having done so on the desktop?

I'm sure that there are tunes on the playlist that my wife will not want. Do I just right click on the tune and delete or is there a different right click choice that I should do?

When my wife is ready to start up the playlist at the event what does she 'click' that will start playing the entire contents of the playlist?

On the desktop app there's an icon to repeat at the bottom of the page:

Will that same icon be present on the iPad view?

How do I correlate the repeat function against the entire playlist (play beginning to end then start at the beginning again) vs. the repeat just acting on a particular tune in the playlist?

Mark

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi Mark! I'll try to address every question:

1- You can just check shuffle without selecting the songs. It will play every song in the playlist. Also, if you're aiming to have it rolling for a few hours, I'd recomend using the Replay All function aswell.

2- The songs you download remain there 30 days after your last conection to internet. As long as you are conected (Out of the offline mode) and your subscription is up, they should remain downloaded.

3- The songs you transfered from one playlist to the other should appear in the bottom of the playlist. The only way to make sure they are there is to manually check the last songs added.

4- On iPhone, there's a small "edit" on the right corner of the playlist page, once you tap it, it lets you delete the playlist you want. I don't have an iPad, but it may be similar to that.

5- The "+" is to add the songs to your library. You can have songs in a playlist that aren't on your library, and the "+" function is to add the song to your library only. The songs shown on the playlist are already there, but not all of them are on your library.

6- Given the point on #5, there's no need to batch add all of them. Also, there's no option to batch add the songs from a playlist to your library, but selcting all of them and dragging to the Songs on the Librery section adds them. (on desktop)

Hope it helps (:

View solution in original post

4 Replies

I will try my best to answer all of your questions lol...

First off, yes, on iOS there will be visible check marks or +'s next to each song but to remove a song from the playlist you must tap the three dot button at the top right corner of your screen then tap the edit option to edit your playlist, then delete the songs you or your wife may not want on the playlist. 

As for your second topic, I am not a user of Spotify on computer, soi may not be able to answer this one (sorry) But after you download the songs on the computer I would assume they would be downloaded on the computer as well as your iOS device.

And your third topic:  to begin the playlist on your listening device, simply press the shuffle play button on your screen. 

Lastly, to repeat the playlist tap the small circular repeat icon in the bottom left corner of the screen after a song is selected (which is another way to begin the playlist)

I hope this answers all of your questions and you and your wife have a good time at your Christmas event

Ethan

Thanks!

I'm now downloading the tunes within the main playlist to the iPad. Once that's done then I'll move on to some more snooping and testing.

Here are a few more questions:

1. Regarding firing up a playlist with the intent to play all within--Do I just click Schuffle or do I first need to (as on a Windows machine) click CTRL-A to select the entire group?

2. Once you downloaded a playlist to a device, what is the time fuse until that group of tunes disappear?

3. On the Windows machine I had ended up with 2 playlists for the same purpose--one list a lot more complete/better than the other. I tried merging the two lists and although it seemed that I did go through the process, I really could not tell for sure that I did merge them. There was no indication on the target of newly added tunes and all the tunes from the source were still there?

4. Once I'm sure that I've got the playlists combined, I want to delete the source playlist. I right clicked on a playlist but there's no delete option? How do you get rid of a playlist?

5. Ok, here comes the dumbest question of all. When you first create the playlist, all the tunes have a +. Does that mean that by default you have a playlist with tunes but the tunes are just labels until you change the + to a check and "actually" add the tune's contents?

6. On the iPad is there a way to 'batch' convert all the tunes in a playlist from + to check?

Thanks,

Mark

I have to apologize for the flurry of questions. I usually take more time to work out most questions myself but I'm up against the wall getting this app/concept understood and working the way my wife needs it for her deadline ;-)!

1. Regarding deleting a playlist. I just realized something on my Windows app. Of the two playlists, the one that has all the tunes 'checked' does have a right click delete option. The other playlist has all +'s and does not have the delete option. So I'm guessing that unless it's a 'functional' playlist (checks) Spotify isn't going to offer the delete option? Do I really need to flag all tunes as checked just to delete the playlist?

2. I then browsed for 'Christmas Instrumentals', got a hit and then attempted to save it to a playlist. I think that I clicked on the browse result link, then clicked the '...', then there was an option (I forget exactly) related to playlist--which I clicked. And then I abruptly lost sight of any result. There was no prompt to name a playlist, nothing new under Playlists and this most recent didn't merge into either of the two existing. I must have hit a key mistankenly and messed up the app's thinking. So I went back to browse, the same instrumental was sitting there and I tried starting over but the 'move to playlist' option was no longer present. Clicking on the '...' just displays: Go to Playlist Radio, Report, Follow and Share?

Marked as solution

Hi Mark! I'll try to address every question:

1- You can just check shuffle without selecting the songs. It will play every song in the playlist. Also, if you're aiming to have it rolling for a few hours, I'd recomend using the Replay All function aswell.

2- The songs you download remain there 30 days after your last conection to internet. As long as you are conected (Out of the offline mode) and your subscription is up, they should remain downloaded.

3- The songs you transfered from one playlist to the other should appear in the bottom of the playlist. The only way to make sure they are there is to manually check the last songs added.

4- On iPhone, there's a small "edit" on the right corner of the playlist page, once you tap it, it lets you delete the playlist you want. I don't have an iPad, but it may be similar to that.

5- The "+" is to add the songs to your library. You can have songs in a playlist that aren't on your library, and the "+" function is to add the song to your library only. The songs shown on the playlist are already there, but not all of them are on your library.

6- Given the point on #5, there's no need to batch add all of them. Also, there's no option to batch add the songs from a playlist to your library, but selcting all of them and dragging to the Songs on the Librery section adds them. (on desktop)

Hope it helps (:

Suggested posts