Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Device won't show up in Devices

Solved!

Device won't show up in Devices

I've been using Spotify since the Fall of 2012 and have loved it. I used to use the app on my iPhone 4 and everything worked great.... until I recently upgraded to an iPhone 5. My iPhone 5 isn't showing up in the Devices section on my Desktop app and therefore my local files won't sync to my iPhone 5. This is really frustrating. My desktop and iPhone 5 are on the same wireless network. I've tried reinstalling but that didn't work. I don't know what to do.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hiya, I had the same problem!

1. Go on your windows/mac desktop version of Spotify. In the top right hand corner you'll see account. (You obviously have to be logged in)

2. Go onto account and it should re-connect you to a internet tab with all your subscription choices etc. 

3. Scroll down under the header "Account Settings" until you find "Offline Devices"

4. Clear all of the currnet devices. 

5. Re-open your spotify desktop app, and then make sure you click all your playlists to be 'offline' again.

6. Once this has been done, make sure your iPhone and Laptop/PC are connected to the same wifi.

7. On your iPhone Spotify App mark the playlists as offline also.

Once this has been done, mine came back as a device. 

Hope this works for you 🙂

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Hey 🙂 

Do you have any firewall or other security software which might be preventing the connection? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@user-removed wrote:

I've been using Spotify since the Fall of 2012 and have loved it. I used to use the app on my iPhone 4 and everything worked great.... until I recently upgraded to an iPhone 5. My iPhone 5 isn't showing up in the Devices section on my Desktop app and therefore my local files won't sync to my iPhone 5. This is really frustrating. My desktop and iPhone 5 are on the same wireless network. I've tried reinstalling but that didn't work. I don't know what to do.

As Hammeh said, ensure all ports are open and disable all firewalls, however people have issues with the device sync, and it isn't the most reliable service unfortunately.

I'm having the same problem, and my computer, and ipod wifi are connected to the same one, and it's wireless, I even tried disconecting my wifi, and my ipod. But it still won't show up in devices on spotify. 😛 any other options to try?

@Jillianxoxo wrote:

I'm having the same problem, and my computer, and ipod wifi are connected to the same one, and it's wireless, I even tried disconecting my wifi, and my ipod. But it still won't show up in devices on spotify. 😛 any other options to try?

Hey 🙂 

A few things to try: 

- If you are using Windows, run the desktop client as Administrator (right click on the desktop icon > Run as Administrator)

- Disable and any virus or firewall software you have running temporarily. 

- Log in on both devices, then force the iOS one into offline mode in the settings, and then back into online mode. Sometimes that can trigger the connection. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I had same problem till today. I run on Mac i fixed it by...

On your computer:

1- Go to system preferences

2- Network 

3- create your own network (name it whatever) join said network you made.

4- Then go to iphone and join the same network under wifi setting

5- Spotify will go offline but my phone appeared and synced the missing songs which were my local files.

6- after sync make sure to change back to your old wifi or you'll be without internet.

I just purchased Ipod Touch and Spotify Premium.   I have done everything that is suggested in these posts and Spotify still does not recognize Ipod.   In iTunes, device appears immediately.   I have tried wifi connection, going offline, administrator, disabling virus software, cable, and have the suggested settings in iTunes.   I'm about to cancel my subscription.

Marked as solution

Hiya, I had the same problem!

1. Go on your windows/mac desktop version of Spotify. In the top right hand corner you'll see account. (You obviously have to be logged in)

2. Go onto account and it should re-connect you to a internet tab with all your subscription choices etc. 

3. Scroll down under the header "Account Settings" until you find "Offline Devices"

4. Clear all of the currnet devices. 

5. Re-open your spotify desktop app, and then make sure you click all your playlists to be 'offline' again.

6. Once this has been done, make sure your iPhone and Laptop/PC are connected to the same wifi.

7. On your iPhone Spotify App mark the playlists as offline also.

Once this has been done, mine came back as a device. 

Hope this works for you 🙂

It worked. Thanks!!

Go to settings and click Bluetooth turn on your headphones too and wait for it to connect and then click on your device name. That's what I did

It worked for me too. Thanks very much for sharing. The ability to use my iPad to control music streaming from my PC to a Bose system is a huge benefit - checking artist names / song tiltes and skipping tunes when not in the mood is so valuable when working.
(Hope there's a more automated fix in the works in case of repeat difficulties, though)
-Doug

Worked for me too!

Thanks!

Ciara

Hi,

I was searching for solution long time.

In case it isn't local cache or out of space on your handheld issue

In case it's not issue with your Wifi network (not letting devices connecting to each other whithin the same network - possible there)

It's that you've reached max nr of devices to work with offline, or just bug with offline stuff. The solution is what is above. Thanks for that.

Suggested posts