Disable repeat and autoplay

Disable repeat and autoplay

armcknight
Regular

Plan

Premium

I wanted to disable the automatic enabIement of repeat, and gather from this post (https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/Change-Repeat-Default-to-Off/m-p/2840077#M87691) that the only way to do so is to enable autoplay. 

I just want a way to play just an album or playlist and then stop playback when that's done.

11 Replies

Re: Disable repeat and autoplay

Rising Star 18 DanifC
Rising Star 18

Hi armcknight,

If I'm not mistaken, the post you linked is saying the opposite of what you're thinking! Have you tried unchecking the autoplay toggle and seeing if that fixes things? Make sure the repeat button is turned off as well. 

DanifCRising Star 18
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

armcknight
Regular

No, I want a way to do what they want (disable automatic repeat) without having to enable autoplay (the accepted solution there).

I just want a way to listen to one album/playlist and have it stop playback after that. 

Rising Star 18 DanifC
Rising Star 18

Yes, toggle autoplay off, and also make sure repeat is toggled off. Both should be off. That should be what you're looking for. 

DanifCRising Star 18

armcknight
Regular

I've always had Autoplay disabled, so that's fine.

But as the author of the post I referenced mentioned, it seems like repeat always becomes reenabled again. It seems to happen every day. I never enable repeat myself, but I always find myself disabling it. Why?

Highlighted

Rising Star 18 DanifC
Rising Star 18

I see, I didn't realize the issue was that it kept reenabling itself. I'm not sure why that's happening.  Have you tried a clean reinstall of the app?

DanifCRising Star 18

armcknight
Regular

No I haven't, let me try now and I'll check back in a day or two!

armcknight
Regular

Confirming that the repeat button still becomes enabled on its own after a fresh install of the app. I never enabled it. Surely this is the intended functionality. There needs to be a way to disable this.

Rising Star 18 DanifC
Rising Star 18

Hello again,

Sorry that this is still happening. As far as I know, this isn't intended -- I tested it out on my own devices with repeat and autoplay both turned off and playback stopped after the playlist or album ended. Let's try to figure this out. 

I know you just did a reinstall of the app. Please let me know what your version number is (cog on home screen > about > version) and the device are you using (iPhone 7, 8, etc.). Also, have you restarted your device lately? I know that's a simple step, but sometimes it's overlooked! 

Here's a list of basic troubleshooting for iOS: https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/iOS-Troubleshooting-Spotify/td-p/105341. I've touched on a couple of the steps above, but please follow those and let me know if anything works! If not, we'll go from there. 

DanifCRising Star 18

armcknight
Regular
My device has restarted a few times since I performed the clean install of the Spotify app, most recently a few days ago, but I still observe the behavior after that. I'm currently on version 8.5.7.601.

Perhaps clearing the app cache (settings -> storage -> cache) could help? Not sure what kind of stuff is cached or where. Is the loop option stored in NSUserDefaults, and does clearing the cache clear those? If so, hopefully it still knows how to remove settings the app no longer actively sets but may have in the past?

I have a premium family plan, would someone else enabling looping on their device somehow leak onto mine?
SUGGESTED POSTS