Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Distorted sound / control volume under iOS

Distorted sound / control volume under iOS

Hi,

I've got a problem regarding distortion on some tracks when I listen to them via headphones (Sony MDR-1000X in my case). For example, if I listen to

https://open.spotify.com/track/5zOnoB8FdZudDcPX4O8WqF

there's a very noticable distortion at 1:19, when the singer sings the word "Piano" and the bass drum is playing at the same time.

These distortions happen on Spotify for Mac as well. But on the desktop, there's an easy cure for them: Lower Spotify's volume just a tiny bit inside of the app. To be very clear about this: Changing the Mac's volume doesn't change the level distortion. But slightly reducing the volume inside of Spotify does the trick. You can rise the Mac's system volume as much as you want, as long as Spotify's volume is slightly reduced, no distortion appears.

Now I would like to get rid of the distortion under iOS as well, but there doesn't seem to exist any similar volume control. Again, chaning the system's volume doesn't do the trick.

I've turned off equalizer and audio normalization, set sound quality to "extreme" and am not aware of any other settings which could cause distortion otherwise.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Norbert 

6 Replies

In case someone else has the same problem, this is the best solution I found:

I used Spotify's equalizer and lowered the volume of every frequency band. This reduced the volume without audible impact on sound quality.

Although this is just a quirky workaround, it removed the distortions.

Norb

Same happens to me. I have compared same song on Apple Music and there (on Apple Music) sounds excellent... I think the problem is the high level Spotify's engineers are sending the audio to internal iPhone's amp; that's why on desktop it's solved by lowering the internal sportify's volume.

On iOS we are stucked until Spotify's engineers change it from inside the app 😞 By now, I will continue to use Apple Music as my main music app.

UPDATE

It happens on bluetooth.

It’s because of spotify not your headphones. Try listening to it on apple music it’s clear without distortion.

I solved it with the workaround I linked before.

Suggested posts