Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Does Spotify Iphone app still use data when playing "available offline" playlist if data is on?

Solved!

Does Spotify Iphone app still use data when playing "available offline" playlist if data is on?

I've tried searching for the answer for this but it seems like there is a ton of people having issues getting the available offline working so every search result I see is with regards to that....

My question is different, my available offline seems to be working fine, downloads to my phone and seems to be good to go .. but my question is this, once they are on my phone and available to be played offline if I decide to play one would spotify still stream and use my data instead of playing the stored version in my phone is data is on and available?  To me it seems like that is what is happening, which is confusing, why would it use up some of my monthly data if the song is downloaded on my phone?  I am using a data tracking app and that is how it looks, am I wrong?  Maybe someone that knows for sure could help answer this, thanks..

Pete

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I'm pretty sure the app will not stream the song if it's already downloaded for offline use. I did some testing and the app will use data for certain things like pictures and the connection to Spotify. But the data that is being used was much lower because I have my playlist downloaded for offline use. A few megabytes of data were used here and there when going to browse pages that have lots of images and things to load.

If you want to use the Spotify app without using ANY DATA at all, you can go into the app settings under "playback" and switch on "offline mode"

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

I'm pretty sure the app will not stream the song if it's already downloaded for offline use. I did some testing and the app will use data for certain things like pictures and the connection to Spotify. But the data that is being used was much lower because I have my playlist downloaded for offline use. A few megabytes of data were used here and there when going to browse pages that have lots of images and things to load.

If you want to use the Spotify app without using ANY DATA at all, you can go into the app settings under "playback" and switch on "offline mode"

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts