Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Downloaded songs needing 're-downloading'

Downloaded songs needing 're-downloading'

Plan

Premium

Country

Australia 

Device

iPhone X

Operating System

My Question or Issue

Just wondering if anyone has a fix for downloaded songs contantly being re-downloaded. I understand some playlists are updated and that makes sense. But i have multiple songs (50-100) all of a sudden having to be re-downloaded even though they are still in their playlist. Even in my own made playlist that hasn't changed for a month or 2. rathe frustrating when you pay for the feature to be able to play songs offline when they have to re-download themselves on a daily basis. 

9 Replies

Hey @jas82,

Welcome to the Community!

There are a few possible reasons why your downloads might be removed:

• You've downloaded music to more than 5 devices.
  • You haven't been online with Spotify at least once in the last 30 days. 
  • If you've recently reinstalled the app.
  • There's not enough memory on your phone.
  • Your Spotify app needs updating
  • Your SD card (if your device has one) has become compromised (dislodged, corrupted, etc.) 
  • The content's no longer available on Spotify.
  • Tracks in some playlists are updated regularly, meaning tracks might be removed. 

If your tracks won't stay downloaded to your device, we recommend removing all your active offline devices (see "Manage your active offline devices" on this page), then reinstall the app before downloading the tracks again 🙂

Let us know how you get on. Have a nice day!

Hi daisy, thanks for the reply. 

I understand all the situations you mentioned that may cause the tracks to be removed. 

However non of them are the case. Whilst some of the songs being downloaded are actually playlists (for example ‘top 50 ....) being updated as songs come in/drop out, the majority of songs re downloading are songs that are still in the same playlist. They’re just all of a sudden not download any more. Like I said before, even my own playlist I have made does it. 

I have tried removing all active devices multiple times before. Seems to be ok for a week or 2 then it starts playing up again. Was hoping there might have been another fix. 

Its not the end of the world, just frustrating when I forget to open the app to let the songs download before I leave the house..

Hey @jas82.

Thanks for getting back to us. I completely understand it can be a bit annoying.

No worries! There's other things we can try:

• Turn off download when using cellular data
  • Unfollow and then follow the playlists again
  • Clear the cache (this won't remove your downloads)
  • Check if your audio quality is set to Automatic or High/Very High

About the playlists like top 50: they are constantly changing and therefore they download again 🙂

Let us know how it goes. Take care!

I am having the same issue. Also it seems that Spotify doesn't recognise my iPhone on a different wifi network and treats it as a new offline device.

This means redownloading the entire library! I changed to Spotify from Deezer but now I am reconsidering whether to move back. Deezer app never had this problem. Lack of support from Spotify is also annoying. Any tips before I give up? Redownloading over 5700 songs is a pain.

Hey @Franta_Kaspar and @jas82,

Does this happen after an app update or a reboot of the phone?

Have a nice day!

Hi Daisy, 

sorry for for the late reply. I have tried all of the above with no fix. 

Reinstalling the app, or app updates make no difference. So unsure what else I can try. 

Even other playlist (not made by me) that may genuinely update with new songs etc, they seem to have songs that download again (ie not new songs added). For example the the number 20 song in a ‘top 50’ playlist will keep re-downloading. Even though it is still in the playlist. 

By the sound of it I’ll just have to make sure I open Spotify while on wifi each day before I go anywhere

Hey @jas82,

Thanks for your reply. That's strange! No worries, still here to help 🙂

Could you let us know if it only happens with your playlists or also with albums?

Have a nice day.

Hi daisy. I haven’t tried with albums. But yes it does happen with my own playlist. Not as often, but it does. It actually did it with my playlist this morning.

Hey @jas82,

Thanks for your reply. 

Can you try it with an album and see if the same happens? We need to know if it's happening specifically with just playlists 🙂 

Have a great day.

Suggested posts