Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ever since iOS 8, Spotify stops playing mid song, and won't resume unless I restart the app.

Solved!

Ever since iOS 8, Spotify stops playing mid song, and won't resume unless I restart the app.

Ever since the upgrade to iOS 8, Spotify has become really flakey, and I have the latest Spotify installed on my iPhone 5s with iOS 8.0.2.  As I'm driving, the music will stop, and no amount of mashing the play/pause button will get it to resume playing.  Other apps that interact with the network function correctly.  Once I've restarted Spotify (by terminating it and then restarting it), and hit play, it immediately says that I don't have the song synced for offline mode, despite being online.  Then I click through that dialog, tell it to play again, and it starts playing the music.

I suspect that my phone might be latching onto passing wireless networks while I'm driving, and this might be confusing Spotify to the point where it can't recover once the phone returns to LTE.  I saw this happen when a bus drove by me in the carpool lane, while I was stuck in traffic, and that bus had a wireless network for which my phone is authorized.

I have a premium account.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

So I had this problem too, where the app had to be open in the foreground and the screen had to be active (ie, not locked) or Spotify wouldn't play.  I have a iPhone 6 running iOS 8.0.2 and the most up-to-date version of the Spotify App (1.7.1.7).  Using the solution below worked perfectly.  

I actually ran into this myself once upon a time. To get music playing normally again, I did the following -

* Opened up Spotify

* Held down the Power button until it says  "Slide to Power Off"

* Release Power button and hold down the home button until the app restarts.

* Reopen Spotify.

This worked fine for me.  Not sure where the error is, but no issues currently.  

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I'm getting similar problems as well. Version and device details below. At this point Spotify is completely unusable. I keep trying my playlists or Radios, until something plays, then it gets stuck within 5 seconds into the track. I've noticed that when it get's stuck, the play head marker on the track progress line disappears. I think this has been happenning since the Spotify App update on Oct 3rd 2014. Sometimes i keep skipping until something plays long enough. Please fix this Spotify, I can't imagine anyone's successfully using Spotify at the moment.

This used to happen before the update, but very rarely, and the behaviour was slightly different, the track progress line kept moving but there wouldn't be any sound, as if it suddenly went on mute. But skipping to the next track seemed to fix that. Didn't happen often enough to worry me, but this latest issue is preventing me from listening to any music on the road!!

Device:   iPhone 5s 64GB

iOS:   8.0.2 (12A405)

Spotify Version:   1.8.0.2444

UPDATE!!

I finally managd to fix this. I deleted the Spotify app, rebooted my iPhone and then installed the Spotify app back. This seems to have fixed it for now. Haven't had any issues since. The app upgrade on Oct 3 may have corrupted something which the re-install seems to have fixed.

View solution in original post

16 Replies

I'm seeing similar problems with the track stopping. I can start it again but then it stops pretty soon after, which makes trying to listen to anything almost pointless.

I'm on an iphone 6 and it was working fine until I upgraded to iOS 8.0.2.

I'm trying to listen to tracks that are offline and have been downloaded so it shouldn't be a streaming issue. I do think my phone dips out of mobile reception (specifically data) and whilst I'm playing an offline track I don't know if there are additional requests going back to spotify for artwork or anything, which might be causing the breaks in playback.

Terminating the app doesn't solve anything.

Whilst my problem is not 100% the same as the primary issue reported, there are a lot of similarities.

I'm on a premium account too.

Thanks

Same issue, iphone5s/IOS8.02

Fed up I ve just cancelled my premium membership and moved on.Ridiculous.IOS8 beta has been released a while ago.

Marked as solution

So I had this problem too, where the app had to be open in the foreground and the screen had to be active (ie, not locked) or Spotify wouldn't play.  I have a iPhone 6 running iOS 8.0.2 and the most up-to-date version of the Spotify App (1.7.1.7).  Using the solution below worked perfectly.  

I actually ran into this myself once upon a time. To get music playing normally again, I did the following -

* Opened up Spotify

* Held down the Power button until it says  "Slide to Power Off"

* Release Power button and hold down the home button until the app restarts.

* Reopen Spotify.

This worked fine for me.  Not sure where the error is, but no issues currently.  

I upgraded today and suffered all the same symptoms as above. Tried your solution and everything seems to be working as before. iPhone 5 with 8.0.2

Thanks!

Marked as solution

I'm getting similar problems as well. Version and device details below. At this point Spotify is completely unusable. I keep trying my playlists or Radios, until something plays, then it gets stuck within 5 seconds into the track. I've noticed that when it get's stuck, the play head marker on the track progress line disappears. I think this has been happenning since the Spotify App update on Oct 3rd 2014. Sometimes i keep skipping until something plays long enough. Please fix this Spotify, I can't imagine anyone's successfully using Spotify at the moment.

This used to happen before the update, but very rarely, and the behaviour was slightly different, the track progress line kept moving but there wouldn't be any sound, as if it suddenly went on mute. But skipping to the next track seemed to fix that. Didn't happen often enough to worry me, but this latest issue is preventing me from listening to any music on the road!!

Device:   iPhone 5s 64GB

iOS:   8.0.2 (12A405)

Spotify Version:   1.8.0.2444

UPDATE!!

I finally managd to fix this. I deleted the Spotify app, rebooted my iPhone and then installed the Spotify app back. This seems to have fixed it for now. Haven't had any issues since. The app upgrade on Oct 3 may have corrupted something which the re-install seems to have fixed.

patrickjworth - your solution worked great for me, thanks.

Thank you so much patrickjworth this totally fix my stotify app!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are a genius! This worked for me also!!!

@patrickjworth thank you! Your solution worked for me; but now that it's solved I don't get to rant on the internet.

This seemed to work for me.  I'm running iOS 8.3 on an iPhone 6 Plus.  I am running spoity through AirPlay to my Apple TV and this seemed to be the first time I encountered this issue.  The process of holding the power button till Slide to Power off, then letting go of the power button and holding the home button to force close the app (about 7 to 10 seconds) , then reopening Spotify seemed to solve the issue.  Thank you again for this solution.

Doesn't work for me Smiley Sad

WAIT

nevermind, I finally got what the first solution was about, it worked, thank you Smiley Happy

Dude, seriously! Thank you from the bottom of my heart! It had never crossed my mind I could restart the phone and it worked perfecly! Take care.

SUCCESS!!!!

It worked!

I tried your solution two days ago (iphone 6plus), and it is happening again.  I shouldn't have to keep restarting an app that I pay for, let alone deleting and reloading spotify.  And when I do that, it is ok for a while, then the problem returns.  We have thousands of songs on playlists downloaded.  But if this persists, I'm done with Spotify.  I'll take my chances on itunes.  If I pay for a service, it should work.  If I bought a car, and it keeps dying, leaving me on the side of the road, I'd take it back to the dealer.  But if they didn't fix it, I would return the lemon.  Try a different one.

this really worked thanks so much!

Suggested posts