Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I add an entire album or playlist to *the end of* the queue? (modified re. end)

Solved!

How do I add an entire album or playlist to *the end of* the queue? (modified re. end)

My way of listening to music is usually one album at a time. I am listening to one album right now and I know which one I would like to listen to next. What do I do to have the next album play automatically after the current one finishes?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

And this leads me to answer my own question: I need to set the first album playing not by playing it via a click on the first track, but by adding it to the queue. *Then* the simple "add to queue" indeed adds an entire album/playlist at the end of the currently queued album/playlist.

I.e. an album that is just playing (but not added to the queue) comes from a different queuing entity than the queue. I guess that's what's called "Next from" in the apps, and "collection-album" in the web player. Still very confused by this. (Compare my other posts.) And I consider myself not easily confused by software.

An afterthought: This appears to work only for albums, not for playlists, since playlists do not appear to have the menu entry "add to queue". Why not?

View solution in original post

10 Replies

You can add a whole album to your queue by going on the album and clicking on the option points on the top right corner. On these options you will find one that says "add to up next". You click that and then you will find all the albums songs added to up next.

Thank you for the swift reply! Yes, that adds the whole album to the queue.
However it does so after the currently playing *track*, not after the last
track of the currently playing *album*. So I end up with a queue that looks
like this:

Current album - track N (currently playing)
Next album - track 1
Next album - track 2
Next album - last track
Current album - track N+1
Current album - track N+2

Listening to one album in the middle of another one is not what I want - I
want them sequentially! I.e. this:

Current album - track N (currently playing)
Current album - last track
Next album - track 1
Next album - track 2

Next albumg - last track

So I guess I need to modify the topic to: How do I add an entire album or
playlist to the end of the queue?

I should perhaps add that I set the first album playing by clicking on its first track.

Marked as solution

And this leads me to answer my own question: I need to set the first album playing not by playing it via a click on the first track, but by adding it to the queue. *Then* the simple "add to queue" indeed adds an entire album/playlist at the end of the currently queued album/playlist.

I.e. an album that is just playing (but not added to the queue) comes from a different queuing entity than the queue. I guess that's what's called "Next from" in the apps, and "collection-album" in the web player. Still very confused by this. (Compare my other posts.) And I consider myself not easily confused by software.

An afterthought: This appears to work only for albums, not for playlists, since playlists do not appear to have the menu entry "add to queue". Why not?

The way Spotify handles this makes me crazy. It’s absolutely anti intuitive.
Apple Music has a clear option to enqueue the whole album at the end of the playing list. I can’t figure out why Spotify wouldn’t include it.

Hey @ameter,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with the Community.

An idea to implement the option to queue tracks both as up next and at the end of the queue has been suggested here, however, while it's interesting, we aren't able to prioritize it at this time. 

Even though the existing idea is marked as Closed, we’ll continue to monitor it and update its status once we have new information to share, so feel free to +VOTE for it (if you haven't already) and Subscribe so you won't miss out on any future updates.

Currently, the workaround posted by @Alias-thejester is an alternative to the closed idea. If you're using the desktop app, you can open the Queue, mark all songs with Ctrl + A and remove them. You can then add some albums to the queue. The latest album you've added will play last.

Hope this info was useful. We're always here if there's anything else we can help with.

Cheers!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I don't know if something has changed, but indeed this is correct, except as of now using "Add to queue" (in the web app at least) puts a playlist or an album at the start of the queue.  So I have to decide what I want to play and build backwards!  This craziness makes me wonder how Spotify got such wonderful views on how it was developed.  It's often very clunky!

I never understood the way Spotify works and how it could possibly make so little sense and be so not user friendly in so many ways. I have so many questions. 

Same here. The way the queue is working totally bothers me.

When I start listening to a full album (by clicking the big green triangle button), and not from a single track, adding a track / other album / playlist to the queue should placed the tracks AFTER the full album I am currently listening to.

Adding to the "queue" must be at its end to follow a "first in, first out" logic, and not last added, first played (nonsense, you cannot skip the line, it's not polite at all...).

A preference option could be added: add at the top OR at the bottom of the queue ("Play after")

Almost eight years later this hadn't really been solved. An option to add playlists, songs, albums, etc. to the end of the queue is still missing.

Suggested posts