Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I delete the synced offline files from my iPhone?

Solved!

How do I delete the synced offline files from my iPhone?

Hey people! I just unchecked "offline" for all my playlists on my iPhone to free up some memory. However the usage of the Spotify-App is still shown with 1GB. Is there any way to get rid of the cached songs besides reinstalling the app? Regards, Marius
90 Replies

I agree with the poster above. I've been using Battery Doctor for awhile now, and it finds and removes all of my "junk" cache files. I found that I need to run it a few times in a row in order to remove them all, but it's a small price to pay for the convenience. Just run the program until it tells you there's no more junk files, and you'll free up a ton of space. I've freed up close to 2 gigs before.

As for basic functionality, though, Spotify REALLY needs to allow users more options to edit their playlists via their mobile app, especially since this is one of the key features of their service. I'd teally love the ability to rename playlists, organize playlists into folders, and last, but DEFINITELY not least, the ability to easily remove a song from a playlist (especially while you're playing it). I'm sure there's more, but that's the main ones that annoy me. I really think Spotify should really concentrate on their mobile app because the majority of their users access their music on the go.

This is a big issue. I am a new user in my first (free) premium month. I have Spotify on my Surface Pro 2, iTouch 5G and iPad Retina.

I have about 4,500 songs in iTunes on all 3 devices using around 30gb. I want to ba able to use Spotify to play them rather than the awful Apple Music player in IOS 8.0. I would be quite happy to delete my iTunes from the iTouch/iPad and just use Spotify offline but have no idea a) how to achieve this for mjy entire library and b) how to get it all back if it goes wrong.

Come on Spotify - this is not rocket science......

Reading this OLD thread really had made me want to decide to shift...

Music master, question wonder why every time you play a song the MB jump up higher and higher is it because I have them saved in my library? Should I save them in my library? Not sure what to do ? Please help?

Just signed up for Spotify premium before reading this. I had no idea of this problem. Thank the universe it's a 3 month cheapo trial. I will be going back to free after the 3 months. If anyone from Spotify wants to explain this bull***t I'm listening.

Utterly astounding. I have just been reading this thread and it dates back several years !!!

For some reason Spotify chooses not to release a simple piece of functionality that has been requested by several users. 

I have just uninstalled Spotify on my iPhone in order to clear out the offine files. 

Since Spotify appears s contemptuous of its users, maybe I'll cancel my Premium membership as well.

It's unbelievable this bug is still there. I started the 99 Cent 3 months trial yesterday and installed the iOS app. I made some playlists available offline for a train ride and was pretty happy with Spotify. Then this evening i deleted them and tried everything I could to free up the space or to find how to finally delete that from the cache, but nothing helped.

So now I have 2,8 GB of space occupied by Spotify although I don't have a single song available offline. This is a serious bug for me, I won't reinstall the app every other day to get around that. I'd rather end my trial and go to Deezer as some people on here suggest.

It's really shocking that this is an issue for 4 years already! Gives a feeling of how quick other bugs are solved.

I've been using Battery Doctor app for awhile now, and it finds and removes all of my "junk" cache files. I found that I need to run it a few times in a row in order to remove them all, but it's a small price to pay for the convenience. Just run the program until it tells you there's no more junk files, and you'll free up a ton of space. I've freed up close to 2 gigs before.

Battery Doctor is just some app from China and it doesn't even tell me about why kind of "junk" it actually deletes. I just have to accept, that it's doing something.

This is not a solution for me unfortunately. I am very disappointed, that probably nobody from Spotify will read that request any time soon.

This is how I clean up my local files sync and the ones on iPhone:

The problem due to when I imported iTunes playlist and Add itunes as Local files.

This is how I cleaned up 500+ local files, in which actually 59 are neccesarily needed.

1. Identified all the local files through playlist in Spotify (local files has icon like checkmark in little square) .  

2. Substitute the ones that available in spotify and remove the local songs from playlist.

3. Create in cloud drive (Dropbox or iClouds) folder named "Spotify Local Files"

4.  Drag and drop from iTunes (or other music program) all the "necessary" files that are not available in Spotify. (59 songs).

5. Unlink my Spotify to iTunes, and add local drive to iClouds "Spotify Local Files"

6.  Spotify will automatically adjust the missing local files to the newly connected folders.

7.  Uninstall Spotify in iPhone, reinstall, then look at the folders, and make it available Off-Line.  (You have to be in the same wifi access between your iPhone and Mac).

That's all now, the local files 500 decrease to exactly 59.

my Twitter @jsjxyz

QUICK FIX:

-Set your iPhone to flight mode

-Open Spotify in Offline Mode

-Go to Library -> Playlists, open the playlist you want to delete from local files and move the "Download" button up top to the left, so that the playlist won't download, on the playlists you don't wanna keep as local files. 

-Do the exact same thing with "albums" and "artists" in Library, and you probably won't have to it with songs, hence Spotify tends to download full playlists or albums. 

-Turn off flight mode

I managed to clean up 4GB+ in less than five minutes this way.
Good luck ,

D

Over 4 YEARS since this thread was started, there is still no way to easily view, and remove all the downloaded songs from the iOS app.
This is INSANE for the world's second largest mobile device platform!
Spotify, fix this, or I will just move to Apple Music.

I just started using Spotify, and this is amazing to me. How is it possible for Spotify to be so popular with this complete deal-breaking glitch?

Reinstall the app is the solution? Really? 

Good luck with that.

I've been using Battery Doctor for awhile now, and it finds and removes all of my "junk" cache files. I found that I need to run it a few times in a row in order to remove them all, but it's a small price to pay for the convenience. Just run the program until it tells you there's no more junk files, and you'll free up a ton of space. I've freed up close to 2 gigs before.

@dennisdanielnie Thank you; this worked and was pretty painless.  Appreciate the post!

As of today 12/28/16, almost 4 years after this was posted, spotify is yet to fix this issue. THIS IS RIDICULOUS! Why don't they fix this darn issue. I don't get it. Im definitely thinking of unsubscribing and going to some other platform. This is dumb. It take one simple adjustment to functionality to get this working. I don't know if they're just being lazy or malicious but it's annoying either way. I emailed them today and will see what they have to say. I'm probably going to a competitior because they suck. 

I understand that the uninstall option shouldn't be necessary and this needs to be fixed but is there any negative impact from uninstalling and reinstalling? Do you lose anything?

Not anything that major. I'd say probably stupid settings like your EQ preferences, but nothing bothersome. I agree, this shouldn't be something that STILL hasn't been addressed, but that's the issues when dealing with big companies. FWIT, though, my solution still works just fine. I still use an app called Battery Doctor, and I've detailed it several times in the comments above. However, any app that deletes your cached files will work just as well. 🙂

Dennisdanieled that worked well, nice one.

To delete: My Library > Albums
Then the ones with green arrows are saved. Click into each and remove from "saved".

Problem solved.

Suggested posts