Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to Open Spotify song link shared via text message in Spotify mobile app and not in Webplayer

How to Open Spotify song link shared via text message in Spotify mobile app and not in Webplayer

Hi, I am trying to figure out a way if possible to open Spotify song links shared via text message  in Spotify mobile app directly. Currently it open the link in Safari on the Spotify website. If this is not already a feature, I think it is a very necessary feature for user-friendliness. It is kind of pain to click through the website to finally open the app then it doesn't even play the song so you have to go and search for it too. Please help me figure this out. Not only for me but to the friends I love sharing songs too!

21 Replies

Having same issue. Looking fwd to response!

A friend figured it out. You need to swipe down from top of screen on shared link. Will show you option to open in Spotify. Once you click that then all subsequent links will automatically open in Spotify.

This worked for me. Click on link in SMS message, it will open safari. Swipe down on the page (below the URL, not above or it will refresh the page), and a banner appears asking to open in Spotify. Click OPEN.

HEY SPOTIFY 

WHY DOESN'T IT OPEN UP IN THE APP AUTOMATICALLY?

THAT'S SO ARCHAIC.

right!!! it did  open in the app automatically for at least the past 12 months that's why I'm so confused! it all changed for me starting last week for some reason. i have a whole website of spotify playlists and the whole point was to click a thumnail and open in the mobile app. **bleep** why would they change the default to a new web tab? (shameless plug lol: playlistsbywax.com )

Follow me

would you mind speaking to what you did exactly again, can't seem to get it? and you're saying you got it to open subsequent text links to the mobile app directly by doing this? appreciate the help

Follow me

I am having the same issue here as of yesterday. I don't know why it is doing this when for past 2 years it has never done it and I have had no ios updates recently.  What was suggested as a remedy in the prior posts didn't seem to work because it says "open in app store" and then it goes to app store then to the app itself but doesn't pull up the song.  

Any other ideas?!

Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling Spotify.? Could also be a Spotify
update? I unfortunately don’t receive many messages from friends with
Spotify links so not even sure if still works for me anymore.

Did you ever get an answer to this? I'm having the exact same problem

Just open in iphone chrome app and chrome take you directly to spotify app 

I think I figured this out....

take the “app” out of iMessage. On the left of the text entry, click on the App Store “A”, scroll all the way to the right, to get to the “manage” page, open and turn Spotify off. 

This is it!!!!!!!!!    No more research needed.  Just do exactly what this guy suggested. 

I'm sorry but what do you mean with the the app out of the message? I've tried everything and I can't play my friend's playlist 

sharing Spotify links with text sucks.

"This worked for me. Click on link in SMS message, it will open safari. Swipe down on the page (below the URL, not above or it will refresh the page), and a banner appears asking to open in Spotify. Click OPEN." Just like the guy above said

"This worked for me. Click on link in SMS message, it will open safari. Swipe down on the page (below the URL, not above or it will refresh the page), and a banner appears asking to open in Spotify. Click OPEN." Just like the guy above said on the first page

Figured it out. At least for iPhones 6S and newer. In iMessage Force Touch the link and swipe up and it will give you the option to open the link in Spotify. Force touch is basically a hard press on the link. If you do not know how to do it check YouTube. 

Hi, 

I´m aware this is an old post, but I´m having the same problem. Trying to open Spotify links on my Iphone works sometimes, but then I´m suddenly directed to safari and have to allow for the song to open in the Spotify app. I have researched this the best I can, but I can´t find a solution and I still haven´t figured out why what causes it to behave this way. Sometimes I´m directed to Safari almost every time and other times it works like it should for up to 20 songs. 

Have you managed to figure this out?

Thank you!

Marcus

"This worked for me. Click on link in SMS message, it will open safari. Swipe down on the page (below the URL, not above or it will refresh the page), and a banner appears asking to open in Spotify. Click OPEN." Just like the guy above said

Suggested posts